PDA

View Full Version : New Member

fastfoot
September 4th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Hello,

I just turned forty and started slowly to pickup up the guitar again the last couple of years. You can say the guitar has been a life long struggle with me because I never had the patience to learn. I just wanted to quickly play! I first started playing at eleven by taking lessons but my teacher wasn't the greatest. So, I recently bought an Fender American Strat and a Epiphone Junior tube amp. I also have a Tacoma jumbo acoustic with a Kustom acoustic amp. I started to play more often and seem to be hungry to learn more. Dolphinstreet has been a real inspiration. I wish I discovered the site earlier on-I think I would be further along with my playing. I'm open to any suggestions and hope to be sharing ideas with all of you in the future.

Thanks,
fastfoot

Robert
September 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Hi Fastfoot, welcome to the Fret! Glad to hear you like dolphinstreet - I do my best there too! :)

sunvalleylaw
September 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Welcome Fastfoot! I am one of the many fortysomethings here. I bet there would be a big bump in the bell curve at that age group if our demographics were graphed. I like your taste in equipment. I am from Tacoma and like that line of guitars. Is yours one of the ones with different sound holes or one of the more traditional ones? I played piano as a kid and picked up guitar relatively recently. I also am taking lessons. You found a good place!

250Keith
September 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Same here! welcome.

Spudman
September 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Welcome.
I have some advice...the more you do it the better you will become.

Tone2TheBone
September 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome. :)

t_ross33
September 4th, 2007, 06:58 PM
...the more you do it the better you will become.
I've been trying to convince Mrs. T of that for years :D

Oh yeah... Welcome to Jungle Fastfoot!

zeusse
September 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Welcome fastfoot and just live on Robert's dolphinstreet site and that alone should get you moving along pretty quick:)

pes_laul
September 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
welcome fastfoot this is a great forum

ted s
September 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Welcome Fastfoot, my story is similar to yours.
The Fret is THE best guitar forum out there because of the people.
I too found The Fret after bumping into Dolphistreet.

helliott
September 4th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Welcome. Just play -- lots. And listen. Lots to soak up here.

fastfoot
September 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Thank you everyone for making me feel welcomed. I've gotten off to a great start on this site. Well, I just bought a tablature book of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers hits and thats what I'll be trying to learn this week. I think John Frasciantie(not sure on the last name spelling) is a very good guitarist and under rated. Look forward to hearing from you all!!!

Tim
September 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Welcome Fastfoot. Did you get the name from keeping a fast tempo or running away from an angry husband or boyfriend? This is a great place to make home.

fastfoot
September 6th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Welcome Fastfoot. Did you get the name from keeping a fast tempo or running away from an angry husband or boyfriend? This is a great place to make home.

Hi Tim, I named myself that because my other hobby is running. I've been running now for the last 7yrs. I lost about 50lbs. and maintained it off. I used to weigh 200lbs. Guitar and running keep me grounded-I just wish I could make a living doing both

Robert
September 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Oh, you're a runner too? We have several players here interested in running. I'm one of them, but you probably already knew that? :)

Brian Krashpad
September 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Welcome FF!

It's very heartening to see so many guys coming back to guitar after putting it aside in their youth. There are lots of people like that here.

Bloozcat
September 21st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Welcome fastfoot!

Hope you find the forum to your liking...:AOK:

warren0728
September 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
welcome fastfoot....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

M29
September 21st, 2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome fastfoot!

A number of us have the Valve Junior amp. I am knee deep in the hooplah modding the thing right now. Good to have you aboard.

M29

oldguy
September 22nd, 2007, 06:18 AM
Welcome to TheFret.Net, fastfoot. Glad you joined us.
Usually my running is done on weekends after a terrible G.A.S. attack.:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
September 22nd, 2007, 06:37 AM
Welcome!!!

I lost 50 pounds when I began working out as well, but I mix weight lifting with cardio, & I don't have a particular interest in running per se. Running fast is a lot of fun though.

I'm another forty something. I started playing the guitar on Christmas 2005. I had never tried to play an instrument before.

Speaking in running terms, I read a quote on another forum that said something about learning to play is like training for a marathon, rather than a sprint.

Enjoy the process of learning, don't get anxious that you can't yet play such n' so. The key is to remain hungry & engaged ("I can't wait to practise") without beating yourself up over the fact that it takes time, patience, and dedication.

duhvoodooman
September 28th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Welcome to TheFret. You're never too old to pick up the guitar, esp. a "kid" of 40! ;) :Dude: