PDA

View Full Version : Digitech RP2000

Spudman
September 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I have had a Digitech RP2000 for many years now. I got it not long after they came out. It's been an OK house toy.

When I was first introduced to it I was playing with a band out of Nashville and the other guitarist had it hooked up to the PA after the bar closed. I was blown away listening to it back through the monitors! I couldn't believe my ears. So I got one.

I wasn't very impressed for very long though. It was too versatile. I couldn't figure out what to do with it. So many parameters can be edited and many can be assigned to be controlled in real time with the foot pedal. Even the LFOs are programmable. Everything is. Heck I'm an analog stomp box guy and this thing was just too complex. So it has sat and gotten dusty. Until today.

Cleaned it and plugged it in...to my Crate Power Block. These two were made for each other. I've gotten the best emulations I have ever gotten with it through that amph. Screamin solos? Yup. Acoustic modeling? Yup. Clean chorus? Yup. All obtained running through the guitar input on the Crate. I have yet to try it straight into the power section. Now I'm glad that I didn't get rid of it. It finally has a place.

It's a digital box so it feels a little less organic than just going through a wah and Tube Screamer, but still I think it can be made to function with some authentic sounds and better feel. That's my goal. If anything I can just use the effects section and forget about the amph emulations. Just the Whammy alone makes it worth it but, there are amp models, channel switching, wahs, reverbs, delays, phase, flange, talk box, ya ya, auto wah, vibrato, leslie, octave, compression, cabinet simulation, and pickup emulation. You can get some real freaky sounds out of it too. Spacey man.

Looking at the prices for used ones I discovered they are well under $100 in a lot of cases. That makes it not worthwhile for me to get rid of it considering what I paid for it. What is worthwhile is that you can get a great box with more options than you can imagine for about the price of one stomp box and it's made out of steel.

I'm going to try a different approach to programming it and see what will happen. Sadly there is no usb output so computer interaction is probably not an option unless the headphone outs or R-L outs are connected into an input device before the computer.

This is why I try not to get rid of gear. You never know what you can dig up out of the toy box to have fun with. If you have it then you can use it. If you don't then you'll want one...and that is a whole other thread.;)

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/3109_2.jpg

Robert
September 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Haha, good thread, Spud. You collect so much stuff, that you can have Christmas all over again by just going through your gear collection! :D

How old is that thing?

I had a Digitech RP-100 5-6 years ago but I started hating it after a while.

Spudman
September 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
It must be 6 or 7 years old now, but it doesn't look a day over 2.

I'm going to see if there are any software upgrades for it.
I think there used to be a big difference between the lower RP line like yours and upper end models.

t_ross33
September 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I'll vouch that there's a big difference between the lower end RPs and the higher end models. My new-to-me GNX3000 (thanks again Bjunior!:D ) is a monster compared to my RP-80, which in hindsight was merely functional. Sorta. Good 'nuff for me, but nothing to make you weak in the knees.

Than RP2000 looks like a very similar platform to the GNX series.

I'm gonna save your post Spud, and when Mrs. T asks why I'm hanging on to all that stuff I said I was going to sell if I bought a new guitar/amp/mfx, I'll just pass her a copy. Nuff said :D

Yeah, that should work. LOL!

Trev

Spudman
September 6th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I'll vouch that there's a big difference between the lower end RPs and the higher end models. My new-to-me GNX3000 (thanks again Bjunior!:D ) is a monster compared to my RP-80, which in hindsight was merely functional. Sorta. Good 'nuff for me, but nothing to make you weak in the knees.

Than RP2000 looks like a very similar platform to the GNX series.

I'm gonna save your post Spud, and when Mrs. T asks why I'm hanging on to all that stuff I said I was going to sell if I bought a new guitar/amp/mfx, I'll just pass her a copy. Nuff said :D

Yeah, that should work. LOL!

Trev

Not a problem. Just blame me and I'll take the hit for you. I'm really good at convincing too...obviously with all the crap I have. lol