PDA

View Full Version : Before commiting vocals please assess track

stingx
September 6th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I am at the stage where I am just about ready to add my friend's vocals to the mix. I would appreciate comments as to how the track sounds to you as is. Be critical because I really want this to come out well, it's for a demo.

The is the complete Yellow Ledbetter tune mastered with slight compression and sans vocals:

http://www.box.net/shared/542sntucbv

The feedback is always appreciated but thanks in advance.

Justaguyin_nc
September 6th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Applause...

I am far from anyone to be a critic... But...other then it sounds excellent... there is one note that keeps ringing out..that "to me" sounds off key or out of place.. I think its an open E? string.. I hear it at these seconds.. 1, 12 , 15 25, 39 4:30 4:34 4:40 4:56.. and like I said..its probably "me".... but the rest sound superb! if you didn't say it was for a demo..I would not even mention it... kinda feel funny saying it anyway actually.. but your sound is excellent otherwise! I really dig the song!

Tim
September 6th, 2007, 07:10 PM
One word. AWESOME!

stingx
September 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks, guys. I was concerned about levels and such. On several listens I find the drums and bass overpowering the guitars. Through cans it sounds better. Tough to get this mixed spot on.

Appreciate the kind words.

sunvalleylaw
September 6th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I was listening before I read your last post and I agree the drums, esp. the cymbals, were overpowering the guitars just a little, esp. before you add vocals. I did not find the bass overpowering, at least through my Yamaha YST-M10 computer speaks that usually sound pretty good. The playing and the rest sounds absolutely awesome. No expert here, but that is just what I am hearing.

Jimi75
September 7th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Totally awesome!!!!!
:)

SuperSwede
September 7th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Pete, your track sounds great.. The hi-hat could have a little less treble (and volume if possible), otherwise its a top class track! :)

Robert
September 7th, 2007, 06:18 AM
That's nice, Pete. How did you record this? Very nice sound.

Tim
September 7th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I believe once the vocal is added, the over powering parts will fit in OK. They will sound more like accents behind the singer. I would leave it alone for now and give the singer(s) a chance to perform their part. Perfection is impossible. I was on a Beatles site the other day and reading how many mistakes were found on many Beatles songs. They became #1 hits anyway. Good luck on the project.

stingx
September 7th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Pete, your track sounds great.. The hi-hat could have a little less treble (and volume if possible), otherwise its a top class track! :)

Thanks, Swede.

I believe I can correct the harshness of the hi-hat by rolling off the 12k frequency in EQ. Cut by amount -6 should make it less harsh.

I still think the guitars may need to come up just a bit in the mix, except for the lead which sounds loud enough.

Thanks.

stingx
September 7th, 2007, 06:57 AM
That's nice, Pete. How did you record this? Very nice sound.

Robert I made a total switch from Cubase to Mackie Tracktion. I also have several amazing VST plugins I've collected over the years. I use my PodXT as the interface to my PC. In this case I recorded to my old IBM ThinkPad T30. The patch used on the XT for the clean sounds on the guitar was something I build from the ground up using the L6 Boutique Amp as the foundation for the patch.

Thanks for listening to this and commenting.

stingx
September 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I believe once the vocal is added, the over powering parts will fit in OK. They will sound more like accents behind the singer. I would leave it alone for now and give the singer(s) a chance to perform their part. Perfection is impossible. I was on a Beatles site the other day and reading how many mistakes were found on many Beatles songs. They became #1 hits anyway. Good luck on the project.

Thanks, Tim. My biggest problem is that I am a perfectionist and will just keep doing take after take if not for someone, my wife usually, forcing me out of the studio. Also, I'm my own worst critic.

sunvalleylaw
September 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Yeah, that is what I really meant. The high hat intrudes just a little to my taste. The rhythm guitars get overun a little and maybe that would be corrected by toning down the high hat. Why don't you try that first and then see if you still need to bring the rhythm guitar up. I agree the lead comes through fine. Keep in mind, this is all from a newbie guitarist. :R

oldguy
September 7th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Pete,
I will say first I wish I could make a track this clean and in-your-face audio wise! Great job, my friend.
I would agree with you, the guitars could be brought up a bit, not the lead, it's fine, but I believe bringing the others up some would offset the "perception" that the drums are a tad loud, to my ear the drums are okay, the guitars are under them.
The palm muting, etc, brings a very live feel to your recording, something I enjoy very much.
I do not care for studio recordings where the live feel is digitally spirited away until only a sterile, cold, perfectly digital repetition of notes is produced.
Give me pick on string noise, fingers sliding along strings, palm mutes with the "wakka-wakka", hammer-ons all in-your-face so I know a guitar player :R did the song, not a MIDI robot (although they have their place).
This is what you do, in spades.:Dude: Congratulations, and thanks for sharing that with us here.:beer: