PDA

View Full Version : I am Spartacus!

Algonquin
September 9th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Well... actually I'm Algonquin, and opening with 'I am Algonquin' didn't seem to have the same impact.

The 'I am Spartacus' line has been stuck in my head for the past week since my wife and I rewatched the flick 'That thing you do'

Algonquin is a fairly popular wilderness park located in Ontario, Canada.

I've been getting back into guitar since the Police announced they were going back on tour. I did a Youtube search and came up with some decent guitar lessons for 'Message in a bottle'. For me, learning that AWESOME intro really sparked my interest again.

Since then I've dusted off my old equipment, bought some new (including a guitar for my daughter) , and have been having a great time relearning old and new licks. I guess it's like riding a bike... it all comes back to you (eventually).

I'm currently looking for a small practice amp, one that I can drag around the house to make noise with, and have close to the PC so I can play around with I browse the sites.

I've been going over many of the old posts for the last couple of days, and I'm really impressed with the way folks represent themselves in an open, honest and friendly manner.

Regards,

Algonquin

Robert
September 9th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Welcome Spartacus!! :D Uhh, I mean Algonquin...:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
September 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Welcome Algonquin! I enjoyed studying the people your park moniker comes from when I was a kid. This is a great place to be and sounds like you will fit right in.

oldguy
September 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Welcome to TheFret.Net!
Glad you joined us.:)

Spudman
September 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Welcome.
I hope our past ramblings are helpful to you, but that's just what guys our age do...when we aren't playing guitar.

SuperSwede
September 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Welcome Algonquin!

You have two Roland Jazz Chorus amps? I love the 120 and 90, but I havent tried the 50 model (yet).. does it have a single speaker?

pes_laul
September 9th, 2007, 03:07 PM
welcome algonquin what kind of guitars do you have

helliott
September 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yay! Another Ontarian! Welcome to a really cool place. Sounds like we're near critical mass for a weekend jam sometime in the good weather.

zeusse
September 9th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Welcome Algonquin and are you living near that park somewhere? If so I'm just down the street from you so to speak....so helliott better get something arranged that good weather is almost gone....I had to put on my jacket today...jeeshhhh!:thwap:

duhvoodooman
September 10th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Holy cow, another Canuck! Wow, there sure are a lot of Canadian guitar players up there in the frozen north! Some really good ones, too, from what I've heard here. Welcome to TheFret, Algonquin, we're glad to have you here. :Dude:

Bloozcat
September 10th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Welcome Algonquin, good to have you aboard!

Algonquin
September 10th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Welcome Algonquin!

You have two Roland Jazz Chorus amps? I love the 120 and 90, but I havent tried the 50 model (yet).. does it have a single speaker?

Good morning SuperSwede, and thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Yes, I have two JC amps, the JC-120 is still going strong, and the JC-50 is still hanging in there.

I purchase the JC-50 back in 1982. It has a single 12" and a decent chorus built in, but I've always been confused with what Roland considered distortion on these amps.

The JC-120 I consider a really great amp, and you can purchase one new today for about the same $$ as I did back in 85-86.

I just wish you could adjust the chorus on these amps, but it's been good enough to keep me from buying a separate pedal.

20+ years on the 120... and only replaced one fuse! I give it top marks for durability.

Thanks again for the great welcome!

(Editted for spelling)

Algonquin
September 10th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Welcome Algonquin and are you living near that park somewhere? If so I'm just down the street from you so to speak....so helliott better get something arranged that good weather is almost gone....I had to put on my jacket today...jeeshhhh!:thwap:

Morning Zeusse.

I'm not as close to the park as you are, but closer than helliot. I'm about 140 Km's west of you, and about 120 Km's east of helliott.

I've marked myself down on Ted S's 'Fretters Map'.

I chose 'Algonquin' as canoeing is another of my favoutire activities. I usually pass by your way a couple times a year heading just north of Kingston, On. Frontenac P.P. is a great place for canoeing and hiking.

(Editted for spelling)

Tim
September 10th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Welcome Spartacus Algonquin haling from the land of Ontario, Canada. You have chosen a great place to learn about the fine art of guitar playing. We hale from many lands located East and West, North and South from you homeland. I say again welcome and enjoy.

SuperSwede
September 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Good morning SuperSwede, and thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Yes, I have two JC amps, the JC-120 is still going strong, and the JC-50 is still hanging in there.

I purchase the JC-50 back in 1982. It has a single 12" and a decent chorus built in, but I've always been confused with what Roland considered distortion on these amps.

The JC-120 I consider a really great amp, and you can purchase one new today for about the same $$ as I did back in 85-86.

I just wish you could adjust the chorus on these amps, but it's been good enough to keep me from buying a separate pedal.

20+ years on the 120... and only replaced one fuse! I give it top marks for durability.

Thanks again for the great welcome!

(Editted for spelling)

I had the 120 for a couple of years, and I loved it. The distorsion, or whatever Roland wants to call it, sounds horrible. Its more like a gimmick than a useful effect.
Btw, have you tried the Roland Bolt amps? Only tube amp (hybrid, tube poweramp) that Roland made. I think that they only made these in the early 80´s, and they sound like a mix of a JC and a Mesa/Boogie Mk.II.. Very nice!

Brian Krashpad
September 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Welcome Alonquin!

Lotsa other Canuckians here.

:AOK: