PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to a good friend

Plank_Spanker
September 10th, 2007, 09:42 AM
The time has come to say farewell to my good friend - my dog Pepper. His hips are fried and he can't walk anymore. He's in constant pain. I'm taking him to the vet on Thursday to set him free. This dog is like a kid brother to me, and we've shared some good times together. He lived a great life in his 13 years, and I will miss him in more ways than I care to venture.

My wife is crying already. Thursday is not going to be a good day............................

Justaguyin_nc
September 10th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Sad to hear... I am sure you tried pain meds etc for him.. I am a pet lover.. very hard and emotional thing to do.. put down an animal you care for... they can be like brothers, sisters and children.... I feel for your wife and you... and for pepper..:(

ted s
September 10th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear this Plank, animals are the best, unconditional love.
It's a shame they can't be with us longer.

Spudman
September 10th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Focus on the memories of good times.

A little something from CS&N.

We are stardust Stardust
We are golden
We are billion-year-old carbon Golden
And we got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

Jampy
September 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Yes, that will be a sad day. But keep in mind your doing the best thing you can do, no more pain, no more suffering. You are truly doing the Humane thing to do and that is what makes us Human. I have had pets all my life and have seen many come and go and the emotion of saying goodbye for me at least lasts longer with pets than it does with family or friends that have parted, for the most part people know "why".

The only time I saw my father cry was when he had to bring out cat "Butch" to the vet for the final time, it was heartbreaking to the entire family, even while typing this my eyes are growing teary.

My heart goes out to you and your family on that tough day.

:(

marnold
September 10th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Been there. My dog Zoot was only 9 when her liver began failing for some unknown reason (I think she got into some strange mold or something by eating the previous fall's fallen leaves). That was tough having to take her in to the vet.

One funny story, though. The morning after I had her put to sleep, I was lying in bed and I would have sworn that I heard her normal morning groan/yawn/stretch. We joked that our house was haunted by her.

About five months later we adopted a puppy from the pound whom we named Biggles. It was frustrating having him at first because subconsciously I expected him to be just like Zoot. Not only is he a totally different dog, he was a puppy which means that he was devoid of a brain to say nothing of house-training. After a couple of months, though, he became a member of the family. No dog could ever replace Zoot, but we love Biggles too.

As you can judge from the dogs' names, I'm a big Monty Python fan.

M29
September 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Sorry to hear this, we have lost a number of pets over the years and I know how hard it is. My heart goes out to your and your family.

M29

kerc
September 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Goodbye, Pepper. Rest in peace. :(

Tim
September 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
We had a German Dachshund (Heidi Gretchen) who blew 2 vertebrae in her back. She ruptured he bladder and could only craw to get around. The poor dog was in such pain and was also bleeding. My wife and I had to put the dog down. After spending a bout 10 minutes with her alone, the doctor gave her the final shot as my wife held her. I swear the dog looked up at both of us with a tear in her eye and then breathed her final breath. I will never do that again. It hurts too much!!!

Tone2TheBone
September 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I have extremely sad stories and experiences with pets that have died. One I experienced first hand like Tim has and it was not the funnest of things to witness in this life. It is a heartbreaking experience to see life depart from your pet's eyes. I'm very sorry Plank. It sounds like he lived a good and full life with you though if that is any consolation.

Bloozcat
September 10th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I feel for you and your wife, buddy. It's like losing a member of the family.

sunvalleylaw
September 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I am very sorry for your loss.

In the middle of a beach party on a beach on the Oregon coast I missed my husky mix adopted dog who was prone to wandering. I went up toward the road, and saw a shape laying there. Buried her deep in the sand in front of the cabin. Crying pretty much the whole time. Just when we were to pick up another adopted dog three weeks later, my wife's companion of over a decade was hit by a courier driver in his own driveway. He basically went in her warms on the way to the vet. We were running in a marathon we had trained for that fall a few weeks later and had decided to run together, rather than me running ahead as I had planned. Somewhere about mile 21 or so, I looked at her and realized we were running along in tears, both sobbing about our companions. My dog, who was younger, trained with us on longer runs in a big park we lived near.

Razz, who we did pick up that day my wife's dog was hit, is now closing in on the end of a great life. He still enjoys life, but is 14 closing in on 15 (was 6 mos or so when we got him), and not everything is working that well any more.

I hope the passing of your old friend Pepper is peaceful for all concerned.

helliott
September 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time. I've had to lay to rest two family dogs, and if it's true that a good cry is good for you, I must have been in perfect health around those events.
Last time, just a year or so ago, I told me wife I didn't think I could do it any more. Well, we did get a new pound puppy, a nutty Australian cattle dog collie cross, and he's turning out just fine. The bruised heart heals, but the wound is never far from the surface. Be good to yourself and you family.

Plank_Spanker
September 10th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I choke up thinking about, and I'm sure I'll be bawling when we do the deed. He's lived about as full and as happy a dog life as possible. This decision was harder to make than I thought it would be................

t_ross33
September 10th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Growing up on the farm, we had lots of pets. Anything qualified, from dogs and cats to cows, horses, chickens, ducks, frogs, grasshoppers...But we also learned at a young age about death, either from old age, accidents, or necessity (hey, where do you think bacon comes from :rolleyes: ).

When I was about 13 we picked up a St. Bernard - Border Collie cross pup who was only 6 weeks old. We called him Brutus. He became a huge part of the family - figuratively and literally :D

As with most big dogs, he had his share of health issues later in life, hips etc. When the time came to put him down, my Dad decided that he would bury him in the garden between two evergreen trees. Now this was totally out of character for Dad. He loved animals, but was very practical about their "passing" and pets were usually disposed of without much ceremony.

While he was digging the hole that was to be Brutus' final resting place, he turned to see my dog lying behind him and looking down the hole with interest.... "hmmm, what's going on here?" he seemed to be saying. My Dad came in the house wiping his eyes muttering about "that dumb dog". It was kinda funny in a heartwarming/heartbreaking sense.

I still miss him, that dumb dog :)

Mark
September 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I choke up thinking about, and I'm sure I'll be bawling when we do the deed. He's lived about as full and as happy a dog life as possible. This decision was harder to make than I thought it would be................

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Plank. We are big dog lovers here and have traveled that sad road before. He will always be with you in your heart and that great life and lots of love you gave him..........well Im sure he would want you to find one of his buddies and take them into you home so they can enjoy the wondeful life you gave him. Thats how we find our way through this, grieve but dont grieve too long there is another fine dog out there that Pepper will be sending you to help you heal. At least thats what Annie and Hootch my two buddies told me they send their wet noses and licks to you and yours.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Bigredhog/Retired.jpg

Plank_Spanker
September 10th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks to each and every one of you for the kind words. I knew that this day was coming for about a year now. I didn't know that it would be so hard to let go. Pepper wasn't just a dog. He was an unwavering companion and sidekick, and we got into trouble with Mom together more than a few times. I told my wife that we should celebrate his life and the joy that we shared with him. Wednesday night we're grilling steaks, and Pepper gets his own.

We're going to have him cremated, and we're going to scatter his ashes in all of his favorite places.

duhvoodooman
September 11th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Well, it sounds like ol' Pepper will be going out in style, then! Sorry for your impending loss, but you're doing the right thing in releasing him from a life of constant pain. Focus on the many happy memories....

Brian Krashpad
September 11th, 2007, 06:23 AM
In advance, my condolences on the loss of your friend and family member.

stingx
September 11th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Plank, it saddens me to read this. I feel for you, man. As much as it sucks to have to put your ailing dog down, it's far worse to let your friend linger on when it's in pain or suffering.
I've been down this road a couple of times. It's something every pet owner dreads will happen but knows is inevitable.

Algonquin
September 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I'm sure you'll be spending most of the evening with Pepper and the rest of the family tonight. Quality of life is what is really importand here, and your difficult decision speaks volumes of what a good friend is all about.

All the best to you and your family.

Regards,

David

Plank_Spanker
September 14th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Well, we took him last night. He passed in both of our arms, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I try to stay focused on all of the joy that we shared, but this still hurts.

It was really weird coming home this afternoon and not sharing greetings with him. His suffering has ended and time will heal our hurt. We're having him cremated, and we intend to spread his ashes on all of his favorite places.

Rest In Peace, my friend.

Robert
September 14th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for sharing this with us. It is hard to go through, but he is in a better place now.

tunghaichuan
September 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. You did the right thing, it isn't fair to let pets suffer.

My wife and I had to put our Schnauzer to sleep a few months ago. He was my mother-in-law's dog, but we took him in after she went to an assisted living facilty. I bawled like a baby when we took him to the vet's office.

tung

Well, we took him last night. He passed in both of our arms, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I try to stay focused on all of the joy that we shared, but this still hurts.

It was really weird coming home this afternoon and not sharing greetings with him. His suffering has ended and time will heal our hurt. We're having him cremated, and we intend to spread his ashes on all of his favorite places.

Rest In Peace, my friend.

Algonquin
September 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks for posting a follow up. I'm sure many here were concerned...

sunvalleylaw
September 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Thank you for honoring us with your trust in sharing and for following up. All the best to you and yours.

Plank_Spanker
September 14th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for allowing me to vent, guys.