PDA

View Full Version : I'm an old rocker

kiteman
September 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Yep, another one of the baby boomers. :)

I got my first guitar when I was ten. I got it for xmas and I also got a ventures album that showed how to play 4 songs. I think I only learned two songs then. One was Pipeline that I loved to play even now but of course I modernized it. :)

I and a couple of friends in school got together and made a band. We played surf and instrumental music and there was a lot of dancing then. Seems hardly anyone dances anymore nowadays. The band broke up after a drummer drank himself to death, can you believe that ??

I retired in the mid 90s because of some disabilities and spend a lot of times home. I got back into guitars in 97 and I didn't feel like getting into gigging anymore so I just play around with friends and use drum machines and pedals. One chick asked for a demo from me but I told her I'm not interested to go pro. No pressures and no obligations thank you.

This look like a nice place and glad to be here. Oh yeah I got a black Agile lp copy which I put EMG 81-60 in it. I play with my epi valve jr combo amp and a couple of pedals. I also got a kustom 100 watt 2x12 combo amp if I need to be loud. :D

marnold
September 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Ya olde coot! :) Welcome. By the by, I posted a rendition of me playing Walk, Don't Run (http://www.box.net/shared/1kmit353g4) on my Squier '51 right after I got it. Since I've gotten my Floyd Rose I've been trying to add the surfy Bigsby vibrato to it.

Tim
September 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Bravo Marnold! That was very good playing.

Bloozcat
September 10th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Welcome aboard!

Sound like you'll be right at home here, kiteman.

sunvalleylaw
September 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Welcome Kiteman!

Robert
September 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Welcome to this gang, Kiteman! Gotta love surf music.

duhvoodooman
September 10th, 2007, 08:58 PM
A lot of us "old rockers" here, kiteman! Welcome to TheFret!! :beer:

fastfoot
September 11th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Hi Kiteman,

I'm older too-just turned 40. I play with the same Epi amp also. It's a great amp -plenty of power. What kind of pedals do you use with it? Ive been thinks of some effects for mine. Oh, welcome to the site.

Fastfoot

duhvoodooman
September 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
....I'm older too-just turned 40.
40?? Old???? :thwap: Geez, I have ties in my closet older than that! ;) :D

tot_Ou_tard
September 11th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Sooo, kiteman, do you also fly kites?

I always wanted to learn to fly stunt kites, but a cool colorful kite way the freakin' high in the sky is still a lot of fun.

...gotta' dig the old kite stuff outta' the basement.

Spud, next time you climb a mountain, you should pack in a kite & let that sucker goooo.

Oh yeah, & a travel geetar too.

Man O man, I just saw all the new smilies we got!!

:pancake :pancake :pancake :pancake

sunvalleylaw
September 11th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Hey tot, there you are! I was just wonderin' 'bout you. Good to "see" you bro!

tot_Ou_tard
September 11th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Hey tot, there you are! I was just wonderin' 'bout you. Good to "see" you bro!
Thanks Sun!

I got very busy & spent whatever extra time I had playing guitar.

Speaking of which, I've been loving the sound of my

Godin Radiator -> Twin Tube Classic -> Fender Chapion 600 reissue with NOS tubes.
:R
I can get a lot of different yummy sounds.

Spudman
September 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM

What's a tie? :confused:

Brian Krashpad
September 12th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Yeah, I'm 49 and AARP is just around the corner!

Welcome Kiteman! :AOK:

kiteman
September 12th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the welcomes guys. Was there an email notification I can turn on somewhere so I'd know I got replies? I missed it somewhere. Cool rendition of WDR there mate. I play it too but it's a little different cause I played rhythm and bass. Since I play by myself I'd like to see what mixture of lead, rhythm and bass I can put into the songs. Seems I'm not playing the surf much anymore now that I've been into hard rock and metal. That's why I got EMGs on my lp copy. I get a kick out of it and since I'm 57 ya gonna tell me I'm too old for this stuff? :D

I called myself kiteman because I used to smoke kite tobacco. That was over two years ago since I've smoked and I quit drinking back in '99. Nowadays I feel good! I'd like a little toke now and then though. :Dude:

The epi valve jr combo I have is a fantastic little tube amp. No frills and only a volume knob. Great with pedals especially if it has EQs on it. I put JJ 12AT7 (60% gain) and JJ EL84 tubes in the amp. It's my favorite set to use but I also have RCA 5751 (70% gain), Fender 12AX7 Hi-gain and an ECC83 of some kind for different flavors.

I had a bunch of pedals(mostly multi-fxs) but I sold all except for two that I want to keep. I like to use the Zoom G1 because it has a very nice drum sounds in it and I still have my old Digitech Rp200 Artist pedal. Sometimes I'll use the kustom amp for the drums while I jam on the epi combo.

Guitar playing is more like a hobby to me now. :AOK:

LOL! I've just found the email notification. Here's a pic of my old setup and all the pedals shown are gone now. The black one was the Zoom MRT3 drum machine hooked to the kustom through the Zoom 606.

Jimi75
September 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Welcome Kiteman!

Cool introducton and a nice picture that you have posted.

M29
September 12th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Hello kiteman,

Welcome, you have found a great place to hang.

I posted this while back you may have already seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYSDYDc8mE&mode=related&search=

How do you like the Zoom 606? I have one too and I made up a strap to hang around my neck on my left side and I plug the guitar and headphones into it and can walk around while I play. It is not too heavy but gives me a chance to not sit and play loud without anyone hearing me. I am fairly new and need to practice standing up. :R

Again...Welcome to The Fret.Net!

M29

Katastrophe
September 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Welcome, kiteman!

kiteman
September 12th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I loved the Ventures and they're what started me on a guitar. I didn't see this video and it's fantastic and at 1:39 the lead got a smile because they kicked ***. Damn good guitarists.

The Zoom 606 was a very nice pedal and I wrote 5 patches on it that covered a lot of songs I play. I use headphones too but I can't hear bends and vibratoes with 'em. May be the 'phones.

Whenever I sit or stand I always wear a strap playing the guitar. Since the instrumentals were my infuences along with the Beatles I developed a style where though I'm playing rock and metal I'm still playing instrumentals. Playing with a drum machine also set a style. I usually set the drums as a metronome because the rat-tat-tat rat-tat-tat stuff will get to you not for long. :)

I got about 6 or so songs put together with the drum machine. Maybe more I don't know. Something to play at friends' parties. Seems I can't remember too many songs at a time. Depression is part of my disabilities and that affects my memory. Most of the time I just jam and see what I can do. I've learned to read music and study music theory so it's interesting but nothing replaces the ears.

Right now I'm expecting back pay on my ssi and I want to get the Carvin bolt kit. With the upgrades I picked for the kit it's going to be a superstrat. :D

I haven't decided how I'm going to finish the guitar though.

EDIT: My avatar is a pic of me in '98 playing the epi tele I bought in '97. I was at my friend's house on halloween night. Some of the kids didn't want to leave after they got their candies. Lol.

:R

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I called myself kiteman because I used to smoke kite tobacco. That was over two years ago since I've smoked and I quit drinking back in '99. Nowadays I feel good! I'd like a little toke now and then though. :Dude:

Funny how a name sticks, even long after the reason for the nickname is gone.

When's the last time anybody's seen DVM in the cemetery with chicken bones? :D

kiteman
September 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Funny how a name sticks, even long after the reason for the nickname is gone.

When's the last time anybody's seen DVM in the cemetery with chicken bones? :D

I'm not about to change my name to potman. :eek:

Lol.

Plank_Spanker
September 16th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Greetings and Salutations, Kiteman!

You've found yourself a great board.

warren0728
September 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
welcome kiteman....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

tot_Ou_tard
September 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'm not about to change my name to potman. :eek:

Lol.
Howz about Dankman. :D

kiteman
September 17th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Howz about Dankman. :D

Naw, too classy. :Dude: