PDA

View Full Version : Another New Member

tunghaichuan
September 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Hi All,

I go by the handle Tunghaichuan, but my real name is Steve.

I've been playing guitar for about 23 years, but I'm still not very good. :)

I became interested in amp building about 10 years ago, and have built probably eat least 20 or so since then.

I got a Valve Junior head about a year and a half ago, and have been trying different mods. I rebuilt a VJ using an eyelet board and a new face plate about 6 months ago, I think it came out very well.

You can see some of the amps I've built so far on my web site:

http://www.diycustomamps.com

Two upcoming projects I'm working on are a 6U8/6GH8 pentode/triode tube preamp and a Firefly built on a PCB. I just have to find the time.

My main guitar is a Warmoth parts strat. It has an alder body, maple neck & fingerboard and Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Strat pickups.

I have a graduate degree in Library Science (yes, I am/was a librarian) but I found that I don't like working much in a library. I currently work for my wife who is also a librarian, but like me does not work in a library. She does online publicity for self-published authors. I do a lot of the reasearch for her authors.

Anyway, this seems like a great board, I'm glad I found it.

tung

Spudman
September 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum.
We can always use another techie here however, you're going to have to change your name or buy beer for everyone because that makes about 5 Steves on the forum.:D

Robert
September 11th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Welcome Steve, oh nooo, another Steeeeeeeve! :D

We'll just call you tung. Glad you joined us, tung!

Tone2TheBone
September 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Welcome :)

Bloozcat
September 11th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Well, well, well....

A name I've seen many times while researching Valve Jr. mods.

Welcome aboard, Steve!

M29
September 11th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Welcome Steve, I think you will like it here, we have a great time and there should be plenty Valve Junior stuff going on in the coming months.

Sure would like to see that Strat, I just built a Warmoth guitar, any pics?

M29

tunghaichuan
September 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM
M29,

Here are a couple of pix:

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/warmoth_strat_1.jpg

http://www.diycustomamps.com/images/warmoth_strat_2.jpg

I'm kind of regretting the color choice, though :)

tung

Welcome Steve, I think you will like it here, we have a great time and there should be plenty Valve Junior stuff going on in the coming months.

Sure would like to see that Strat, I just built a Warmoth guitar, any pics?

M29

tunghaichuan
September 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody.

tung

duhvoodooman
September 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Whoa! I checked out your website, Steve, and I've got that sucker bookmarked! I know just enough electronics to be dangerous, but I love to fool around with DIY effects pedals and pickup wiring & switching. I have one of the original Valve Jr. combos that I modified to get rid of most of the hum that the early version was (in)famous for, but that's the only amp work I've done. Am hoping to build my own 18-watt Marshall clone in early 2008. Hoping you'll hang around so I can pick your brain!

In any case, welcome to TheFret!! :beer:

sunvalleylaw
September 11th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Welcome Tung, from one of the other Steves! (There are two fret.net steves from Idaho alone!)

warren0728
September 11th, 2007, 10:39 AM
welcome tung....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

tunghaichuan
September 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Bob,

Your site was one of the ones that got me into modding the Valve Junior. So I owe you a big thanks for that :beer:

You got some other cool stuff on your web site as well.

I've only done one 18w type project, but it is really more of an 18w/AC15 hybrid. Sounds killer though. The hardest part of that amp is finding non-microphonic EF86 tubes.

Anyway, this looks like a cool place.

tung

Whoa! I checked out your website, Steve, and I've got that sucker bookmarked! I know just enough electronics to be dangerous, but I love to fool around with DIY effects pedals and pickup wiring & switching. I have one of the original Valve Jr. combos that I modified to get rid of most of the hum that the early version was (in)famous for, but that's the only amp work I've done. Am hoping to build my own 18-watt Marshall clone in early 2008. Hoping you'll hang around so I can pick your brain!

In any case, welcome to TheFret!! :beer:

M29
September 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Hello tung,

Your Warmoth Strat looks great! I like the color and the maple neck/fretboard looks great with that color. It appears like there is metal flake in the green, I like it! Congrats on a nice build.

M29

Katastrophe
September 12th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Welcome, Steve!

The Warmoth Strat looks killer. I really dig the green!

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Welcome Steve!

So does tunghaichuan mean something? Is it a name? A martial art? A city? A baseball team (The Tunghaichuan No Screaming Solos: got an amph as a mascot)?

kiteman
September 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Glad to meet you steve and welcome. I have an epi valve jr combo but no mods. Seem the pedals took care of everything. :)

tunghaichuan
September 12th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Welcome Steve!

So does tunghaichuan mean something? Is it a name? A martial art? A city? A baseball team (The Tunghaichuan No Screaming Solos: got an amph as a mascot)?

It is a different spelling of Donghaichuan, who was the founder of a Chinese martial art called baguazhang, also spelled pakua chang. It is one of the three neijia, or internal arts which include tai chi an hsing-i. I had the chance to study under the student of one of the best in the world.

general info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baguazhang

the lineage I studied:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gao_Style_Baguazhang

My teacher's teacher:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luo_Dexiu

Probably more than you wanted to know, but you asked :)

I use the name as "Steve" is usually taken :)

tung

tot_Ou_tard
September 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Probably more than you wanted to know, but you asked :)

Yes, I did & no it wasn't more than I wanted to know. I like the fact that the The Fret attracts such a diverse & interesting group of people.

I use the name as "Steve" is usually taken :)

You've got the whole world thinking you died in a plane crash

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=3587566&page=1

& here all the time you were just hanging out playing guitar, turning in circles, & poking people with pens.

Spudman
September 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I just noticed that sensi Buckethead is your avatar. Funny.

Have you heard the Hellborg Buckethead Shrieve album - "Octave Of The Holy Innocents"? I was thinking of getting it and wondered if it was any good.

tunghaichuan
September 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I just noticed that sensi Buckethead is your avatar. Funny.

Have you heard the Hellborg Buckethead Shrieve album - "Octave Of The Holy Innocents"? I was thinking of getting it and wondered if it was any good.

I've actually got the older version and the newer remastered version. To tell the truth, I can't tell any difference. YMMV.

I would catagorize the album as acoustic shred/jazz guitar. I don't believe there is any electric playing on that album. Which doesn't make it bad, per se, just not what you'd normally expect from Buckethead. I hate to make recommendations as I have widely varying musical tastes, but I like it a great deal. It's not everyone's cup of tea, though. As you'd expect, Helborg and Shrieve make for a very funky rhythm section.

HTH,

steve

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Tung I knew I've seen you around the net somewhere....

tunghaichuan
September 12th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I knew I've seen you around the net somewhere....

Don't I wish I could play that well :Dude:

tung

Robert
September 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM
About that hat... one guy I knew from Newfoundland told me in his neck of the woods they call KFC - "Dirty Chicken" - good one! :AOK:

pes_laul
September 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Yo wuz up dawg! sorry watching to much mtv:eek: yeah welcome to the fret its a great place and warren wheres the pancakes:pancake :pancake

warren0728
September 12th, 2007, 04:12 PM
here you go....and of course clothing is optional :AOK: :eek:

ww

ted s
September 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Late on the draw here, welcome Steve.

t_ross33
September 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hey Tung, do I infer from your sig that you're a Homestar Runner fan? :Dude:

tot_Ou_tard
September 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
fhqwhgads

Guitar Gal
September 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Tung,

Just wanted to drop by and say welcome to another new member. Welcome aboard from another newbie :D

GG

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Yes :beer:

The guy who writes that material must be a guitar player, because he just *nails* some of the attitudes :)

Brian Krashpad
September 21st, 2007, 10:44 AM
Welcome Steve! Wish I knew half of what you do about amps!

I'm limited to "did the status light come on?" and "are the little glowy things in the back glowing?"