PDA

View Full Version : Gibson 57 Classic P/U

Algonquin
September 12th, 2007, 07:19 AM
G'day All!

I was out the other night at a local guitar shop buying strings when I noticed they had a Gibson Classic 57 P/U in the showcase :drool: .

It had been reduced in price as it had been sold, and returned unused. I'm not sure if it would have made a difference anyway, as I don't think there's too much to go wrong with them.

I decided before buying, I'd go home and do a quick internet search to make sure there wasn't a specific Bridge/Neck model. (There isn't)

I returned shortly after and purchased it, and was able to find time to install it last night.

I put it in the neck position of my Epiphone LP. First impression was that it was a definate improvement over the US made 50SR model it replaced. Not that the stock P/U was bad, it was just a bit lacking in clarity.

I'm going to give it a few days, then I'll do my best to post a review of my thoughts on the pickup. I'll set the intonation tonight, and give the new strings a chance to settle.

There are endless choices for pickups out there, but I think this P/U will do nicely for providing a nice clean rhythm tone. :AOK:

Cheers everyone!

Mark
September 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I have those in my Gibby ES335 they are fine pups I do enjoy them! Hope you will as well.

Tone2TheBone
September 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I've got one also in the neck of my Gibby Studio Les Paul. The best pickup I've ever heard anywhere. Good choice.

Plank_Spanker
September 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I have two of them in my SG. Good sounding pickups, they are.

Algonquin
September 12th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Fantastic! Some very positive feedback from actual users!

I may be back to pick up another so I can have a matching set. Anyone have any feedback on the 57 Classic +?. I've read it's a slightly higher output due to a couple of more windings.

Regards...

Plank_Spanker
September 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I have a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge of my Dot. It still retains most the voicing of a straight '57 Classic, with a tad more high end. It really rips when you crank the guitar and amp up for some drive - think Angus Young.

Algonquin
September 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Well I've had this pup in my guitar for over a week now, so I guess it's time for some feedback.

I'm really happy with this model. It's got a very nice clean and clear tone which is what I was after. Output seems comparible to the one it replaced, so it goes well with the stock bridge pup.

To me it has a nice warm feel to it, without sounding muddy but still has enough upper end to sing out.

I think I'll likely match this one up with the 57+ in the bridge.

Once I figure out this Ableton Live software that came with my Toneport, I'll post a couple of short sound clips of the 57...

Cheers! :beer:

Plank_Spanker
September 23rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
Glad to hear that you're happy with it. Buying pickups is a tremendous leap of faith. What sounds good to one player might not to you, or it just doesn't work out in a particular guitar. That's a big reason a lot of modders have a drawer full of pickups. :D

wingsdad
October 8th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I can't add anything descriptive about them that wasn't said here but I'll just add that I've got a pair of the 57 Classics in my Epi Sheraton II that replaced the stock pups. Excellent.

Algonquin
December 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Here's a clip of a gent and his classic '57 pickups
which I really like... a lot! :AOK:
54MsT8gIoAE

Robert
December 20th, 2008, 11:19 AM
That's cool, I missed your thread first time around. Nice pickup, eh?

mainestratman
January 26th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I absolutely ADORE my '57 and '57+... while yeah, they are hot hot hot, when everything is dialed back, they do a great job at grabbing the sound, tone and soul of my Les Paul.

Five thumbs up. Great choice!

Duff
February 27th, 2010, 05:25 PM
My new Epi LP Tribute to Les Paul came with the Gibson USA '57 neck and '57 plus bridge set of pups.

The neck pup is clear and mellow, as is the bridge pup. Together they sound great. The guitar resonates with awesome tone and vibrations.

I have Seymour Duncans in my two Epi Standards: Jazz neck and JB bridge, open coils; and '59 in neck and JB, both nickel covered in the bridge. These, of course, are also great combinations but the Jazz is a bit muddy compared to the clear '59.

I'm still getting used to the '57s but so far love the tones. I play the guitar quite a bit. Coming back to it always sound nice.