PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Rose Qs

marnold
September 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I originally posted this on the Metal Method forums due to the higher-than-average number of Floyd users there. I've gotten no response yet so I repost it here:

Two more Floyd Rose-related questions:
1) Will a Floyd Rose-equipped guitar be more likely to feedback than the same guitar with a hard tail? The reason I ask is that when I play my Floyd with high gain it is easier to have it feedback (in a good way) than with my hard tails. My thought was that the springs might be vibrating sympathetically.

2) Is there a way to get the bar to stay in place? Mine is a true Floyd, so it has that "nut" on the bar that screws into the bridge itself. After using it a couple of times it loosens up enough that the bar falls where gravity will take it and then slowly loosens itself further. I noticed that there is an allen screw on the underside of the bridge where the bar screws in. Will that affect anything?

Katastrophe
September 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I've got 2 Floyd equipped guitars, and only the Ibanez feeds back more. It's probably due to the Invader pickup, which is extremely hot. How hot are the pups in your guitar?

Both of my guitars have "push in" arms, but are licensed Floyds, not the original. I like my trem arms to dangle out of the way when I play, so I've never tried to tighten them. Could you show a pic of the screw you're talking about? Is it like a set screw for the arm?

marnold
September 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I've got 2 Floyd equipped guitars, and only the Ibanez feeds back more. It's probably due to the Invader pickup, which is extremely hot. How hot are the pups in your guitar?
The humbucker is pretty hot. I don't consider it a bad thing because it doesn't feedback all the time nor is it uncontrollable. I just wondered if Floyd-equipped guitars were more prone to this by their very nature.

Both of my guitars have "push in" arms, but are licensed Floyds, not the original. I like my trem arms to dangle out of the way when I play, so I've never tried to tighten them. Could you show a pic of the screw you're talking about? Is it like a set screw for the arm?
Here's a picture of a Floyd Rose arm:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/313ENZGZ38L._AA280_.jpg

Look on the end that goes into the guitar. Technically, I think it's called a coupler. You turn that, not the whole bar, to screw it to the bridge itself. When you move the arm at all, it loosens slightly.

Spudman
September 12th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Marnold

You can try a little Teflon tape on the threads first. If that doesn't work and you feel like it, the screw on arm can be changed to a pop in arm.

I did this to one of my Ibanez Floyd guitars. The arm socket is a removable piece. You can switch it to pop in if you like pretty easily.

The other option might be a little loctite on the threads if you want to keep the guitar the way it currently is and the Teflon tape doesn't do the trick. They make one type of thread lock that stays flexible. I just don't know which version it is. Maybe some of the motor junkies here know which one I'm talking about.