PDA

View Full Version : nice cheap strat pickups

pie_man_25
September 12th, 2007, 07:23 PM
does anybody know any good names for cheap strat pickups?
I've built a nice strat copy from a kit, and it sounds nice, but I would like a bit of an upgrade, so far I'm thinking of GFS pickups because they are the cheapest I've seen with sets under $100, but I only know about fender custom shop (which are REALLY expensive:eek: ) at $200 a set, seymore duncan with about $100 a pickup, dimarzio, which I am yet to look at, and EMG which I think only sells humbuckers, and I don't want that, I just want a nice set of strat pickups that are pretty versatile but mainly good for blues, I don't care about top of the line stuff, I just want good sound and durability at a good price, If you want to know, my limit at the moment is about $150 canadian (though I could stretch a little bit, because quality is worth it)

marnold
September 12th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Not that I'm necessarily recommending them and not that they're cheap, but EMG does make single coils too. I'd go the GFS route.

sunvalleylaw
September 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM
From the threads I have read shopping for replacement pups for the Fully, the GFS ones seem the best bang for the buck. The overwounds that were being blown out before seem popular.

duhvoodooman
September 12th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Yep, GFS all the way for a good, cheap Strat p'up.

Spudman
September 12th, 2007, 08:38 PM
$15 to $18 for a set of 3. Scroll to the bottom.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/clse.html

Bloozcat
September 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM
A couple of years ago I could have made several recommendations, but not now. Most of the good, but inexpensive pickup winders that I know are now established and their prices have risen to reflect it. Some of the others have simply stopped winding and gotten out of the business.

Of those that remain in the good quality/low cost sector, GFS would be hard to beat. They really do give you a good product for the money.

About the only other ones that come to mind, are the Keystone pickups from Bill Lawrence. Another good bang for the buck pickup.

duhvoodooman
September 13th, 2007, 09:04 AM
$15 to $18 for a set of 3. Scroll to the bottom.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/clse.html
Wow, they still have those available? That's an unbelievably good deal. I put the neck and middle p'ups from the overwound Strat set into my Fullerton HSS, and they really sound quite good! :Dude:

sunvalleylaw
September 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Wow, they still have those available? That's an unbelievably good deal. I put the neck and middle p'ups from the overwound Strat set into my Fullerton HSS, and they really sound quite good! :Dude:

I am thinking of going ahead and ordering a set and putting one in the middle position of my Fullerton ST-4 HSS, to go with the Dimarzio virtual hot PAF I got from Tone, and the 10k Lil' Killer I plan to order as well. Sound good? :R

duhvoodooman
September 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM
At that price, why not? :AOK:

kerc
September 13th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I got those on my old Hamer strat-clone, and I gotta say, they sound pretty nice, very aggressive tone that still sounds like a Strat. Highly recommended!

pie_man_25
September 16th, 2007, 05:28 PM
thanks a lot guys, you've been a great help! I think I'm gonna go and get the texas standard set for $47, those seem pretty nice, overwound bridge pickup, classic neck and classic reverse polarity middle, that sounds like a good versatile deal.

Spudman
September 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM
thanks a lot guys, you've been a great help! I think I'm gonna go and get the texas standard set for $47, those seem pretty nice, overwound bridge pickup, classic neck and classic reverse polarity middle, that sounds like a good versatile deal.

That sounds like a smart way to go. We'll look forward to your review after you get them installed. Good luck.