PDA

View Full Version : How do you beef up the tremolo on a SX SST?

Duff
September 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I want to get a SX SST strat style with tremolo and would like to hear some suggestions on how to upgrade it to a useable tremolo? Possible sources for parts is also appreciated.

Duff

Spudman
September 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM
It's usable as is.
Remember this guitar is NOT going to be a USA Strat.

First I'd suggest to try graphite powder in the nut and then go to Fender's website and do the tremolo and action set up the way they suggest.

If that still isn't enough for you then try guitarfetish.com for a replacement bridge, or Stewart Mac.

Robert
September 14th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I put a GFS vintage style bridge on mine. It's working. I used only 2 screws and I set it to float. How far you screw in those 2 screws is critical for having it stay in tune. It's a trial and error approach, for me at least. :)

kerc
September 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM
What about roller saddles?

Duff
September 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah. I was wondering about them. Do they make the action higher or do you just adjust it back down? The stainless saddles are supposed to be an improvement.

And, is the GFS vintage tremolo any better than the stock one?

chordshredder
September 14th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Naw you dont want the strings hanging off the sides, the necks are narrow.
The best thing you could do is get a callaham block and arm from

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/ look for the
Mexican Standard Tremolo Block (new enhanced version)

Duff
September 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM
What were you refering to specifically when you said something makes the strings hang over the sides of the neck? Were you refering to the GFS bridge for MIM, Chinnese made, etc., guitars?

chordshredder
September 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM
The string spacing of any brand vintage tremelo will cause the strings to hang off the sides in the higher registers as it is wider than the newer narrower spacings 2 7/32 vs now 2 1/8 and 2 1/16. I had a gfs vintage trem model DO1 and set it on a sx62 and the outer strings fall off the fret board and the pivot screws would have to be filled and redrilled, so didnt use that.

The block on the SX; like most inexpensive guitars lacks mass, the best block is a callaham made from milled steel, the next best would be the new 2 1/16 space big block fenders which i think is cast then machined.

The GFS D01 is too wide; the DO3 is the same (Cut down block) as what you will get on a SX. I thought you wanted to upgrade the action, especially the tone?

I have two SX; the 57 and the 62, so Im going to say, I like the finish; the tinted thick neck but: the nut width is narrow. The electronics are crap, noisy little pots, cheap switch; bright brittle ceramic pickups, tiny wire, subpar knobs and plastic backplate. Only came with 3 trem springs. The body routing is screwy. Dont really care for the point on the headstock. the plastic nut had to go. Either use it as a beater or you can make it money pit but it will never be worth more than $20 to pawn.

chordshredder
September 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM
For what its worth
I saw Eric Clpaton tour b4 last.

He doubled up his fist and gave the trem a rap at least four times during the show so even the pros can have trem probs.