PDA

View Full Version : David Lindley

tunghaichuan
September 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM
One of my favorite artists is David Lindley. I own most of his solo recordings including the uber-rare Mr. Dave and El Rayo X Live which were only issued on CD as Japanese imports for a few years back in the mid 80s.

He used to come through Denver about once a year or so, but hasn't come through here for a while. My wife and I have seen him about 6 times over the last 15 years or so, and he always puts on a good show.

He mostly plays solo with a drummer/percussionist, but one time we caught a show where he played solo as the opening act for an all star bill: Bonnie Raitt, Shawn Colvin, Bruce Hornsby, and Jackson Browne. That was a killer show.

The first time I saw David Lindley it was at the Denver Zoo of all places.

While he plays mostly guitar and lap steel, he also plays a variety of ethnic instruments including the saz, chumbush saz, bazouki, oud, etc. He has a real knack for arranging traditional songs and putting a quirky spin on them.

His newest recordings are mostly self-produced (sans record company) and he sells them at his shows and keeps most of the profits. :AOK:

Check out his website for more info:

davidlindley.com (http://www.davidlindley.com/)

tung

Robert
September 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Lindley is a cool dude. I got to see him perform with Ry Cooder at the Roskilde Festival in Denmark in the early 90s. It was fantastic. It was just David and Ry on acoustic instruments (not really sure what they used - they weren't all normal guitars...)

Them two would cook up a groove like you wouldn't believe...

t_ross33
September 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM
El Rayo X is one of my all time favorite albums! I've had it on vinyl, cassette multiple times, and finally CD :AOK: I remember when I first saw David on a variety show playing "Mercury Blues". I almost had a cow when I realized that awesomely weird guitar tone was a distorted steel guitar! You CAN'T do that, can you? Yeah, I guess you can. Who'd a thunk it :cool:

Love his playing with Jackson Brown too. David was my introduction to Reggae (which is super cool in my books) and paved the way in my musical collection for artists like Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and Robert Randolph.

Funny little weird dude, but way cool.

Trev

tunghaichuan
September 14th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I checked out El Rayo X from the public library back in the mid 80s. I heard "Mercury Blues" one time and I was hooked for life :)

He definitely is way off center, that's for sure. He bills himself as "The Prince of Polyester." Everytime I've seen him live he's had the ugliest combination of polyester clothes on imaginable. Weird, but a monster.

El Rayo X is one of my all time favorite albums! I've had it on vinyl, cassette multiple times, and finally CD :AOK: I remember when I first saw David on a variety show playing "Mercury Blues". I almost had a cow when I realized that awesomely weird guitar tone was a distorted steel guitar! You CAN'T do that, can you? Yeah, I guess you can. Who'd a thunk it :cool:

Love his playing with Jackson Brown too. David was my introduction to Reggae (which is super cool in my books) and paved the way in my musical collection for artists like Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and Robert Randolph.

Funny little weird dude, but way cool.

Trev