PDA

View Full Version : A New Member and Relatively New Guitar Player

just strum
September 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I stumbled on this forum while using Dolphinstreet and found it to be one of the more friendly forums and decided to sign up.

Some Background: Married, two teenage kids, live in Northern Ohio and started playing (or should I say practicing) guitar a little over a year ago.

Instrument History: started with a Squier Strat (a real cheap one) and a month later purchased an Epi G400. I always liked the sound of the acoustic guitar and while looking at a possible purchase, came across the Washburn site and joined their forum. Purchased a WD32SW, then an EA20SDL and the last acoustic purchase was a J28SDL. I recently sold the EA20SDL and the WD32SW (the J28SDL is up for sale).

I just purchased an Ibanez ARC300 that has brought me back to my interest in the electric guitar. After purchasing the ARC300, I found my interest in the blues increase and was pointed to Dolphinstreet and have continued my interest in playing the blues. I use a Vox AD30VT that I really enjoy. For now I think I found the right combination with the ARC300 and the Vox. I also started taking a renewed interest in my Squier, realizing it can be a fun guitar.

At this point I am self taught and as most, I have experienced the frustrations and the ruts, but continue to play on. I'm giving serious thought to taking lessons as I want to continue to climb to new levels of playing.

I probably will purchase another acoustic (recently looking at Seagull). I hope I can offer a contribution to the forum and pick up some pointers along the way.

Strum

ted s
September 15th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Welcome Strum, nice intro. You'll fit right in here at the fret.
Lots of varied experience here and friendly helpful folks.

Spudman
September 15th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hi and welcome.
Warren will bet that you'll like it here and probably make you some hot cakes. Enjoy!

tot_Ou_tard
September 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Welcome, I'm self taught & have been play for a year and 9 months.

I have an AD30VT as well & am looking into getting an acoustic (perhaps Seagull) at some time in the future.

sunvalleylaw
September 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Welcome! I began playing regularly a little over a year ago myself. Thanks for joining.

Tim
September 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Welcome JS. I too am self taught and have been playing about 5 years. I also own a Seagull acoustic guitar. They are very good guitars. I recommend staying away from the lower price Seagull acoustics.

oldguy
September 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Welcome to TheFret.Net, just strum!:D

just strum
September 15th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Welcome JS. I too am self taught and have been playing about 5 years. I also own a Seagull acoustic guitar. They are very good guitars. I recommend staying away from the lower price Seagull acoustics.

I will have to get some info and feedback from you when I start looking seriously at the purchase. Right now I'm "window shopping" but hopefully in the near future I will be adding to the collection.

My acoustic purchases up to now have been entirely Washburn. Although there is nothing wrong with Washburn, I've tried out some other makes and models and I think I can find something more to my liking.

Since most of my forum activity has been limited to Washburn, I have not been exposed to a lot of discussion about other makes of guitars.

Strum

just strum
September 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Right now I've just been looking at the various sections of the site to try to see what is a good fit for some discussion.

Spudman, looks like you have no problem relieving that GAS when it hits you. If you're married, you have one understanding wife.

Looking at the other posts and the guitars owned by the members, I think I am going to enjoy it here.

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Welcome to TheFret! Taking lessons is a good idea for a new player--it'll keep you from picking up all the bad habits that hacks like me have! :thwap:

Also, several of us AD30VT owners here--amazing little amp for the money; so flexible!

warren0728
September 15th, 2007, 03:40 PM
welcome strum....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Spudman
September 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Spudman, looks like you have no problem relieving that GAS when it hits you. If you're married, you have one understanding wife.

No problems what so ever.:D Actually I have renamed it F.I.S. (financial investment syndrome) Don't have to worry about trusting banks and Mrs. Spud thinks it is a legitimate investment program. Besides, I was this way before she married me 2 years ago and I don't plan on changing yet.

Robert
September 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Welcome just strum, glad to have you here! Cool that you found my website dolphinstreet.com as well.

Strum on,
Robert

t_ross33
September 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Welcome Aboard! :AOK:

SuperSwede
September 15th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Welcome Just Strum!

Katastrophe
September 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Welcome! Stay awhile, post often!

fastfoot
September 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Hi Strum, and welcome. I'm an older player myself that in the past few years re-discovered the guitar. The ruts are always going to come up every so often. I'm also thinking about taking lessons so that I can get through the ruts easier. Do your teenagers play any instruments? My girls play drums and piano. They give the motavation to keep playing. It's important to have music in the family. Look forward to hearing from ya.

Fastfoot

I stumbled on this forum while using Dolphinstreet and found it to be one of the more friendly forums and decided to sign up.

Some Background: Married, two teenage kids, live in Northern Ohio and started playing (or should I say practicing) guitar a little over a year ago.

Instrument History: started with a Squier Strat (a real cheap one) and a month later purchased an Epi G400. I always liked the sound of the acoustic guitar and while looking at a possible purchase, came across the Washburn site and joined their forum. Purchased a WD32SW, then an EA20SDL and the last acoustic purchase was a J28SDL. I recently sold the EA20SDL and the WD32SW (the J28SDL is up for sale).

I just purchased an Ibanez ARC300 that has brought me back to my interest in the electric guitar. After purchasing the ARC300, I found my interest in the blues increase and was pointed to Dolphinstreet and have continued my interest in playing the blues. I use a Vox AD30VT that I really enjoy. For now I think I found the right combination with the ARC300 and the Vox. I also started taking a renewed interest in my Squier, realizing it can be a fun guitar.

At this point I am self taught and as most, I have experienced the frustrations and the ruts, but continue to play on. I'm giving serious thought to taking lessons as I want to continue to climb to new levels of playing.

I probably will purchase another acoustic (recently looking at Seagull). I hope I can offer a contribution to the forum and pick up some pointers along the way.

Strum

M29
September 16th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Welcome aboard just strum!

M29

Plank_Spanker
September 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Welcome aboard, Strum!

This is a great board - civilized, with a wide beadth of experience. Robert runs it well. You won't encounter the standard ego wars here.

Beware of G.A.S!!! It's rampant here! :beer:

kiteman
September 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Howdy mate and welcome. I played guitar long ago but I just got back in it in '97. Just amusing myself with a guitar, amp, pedal, and a drum machine. :)

Enjoy your stay here.

just strum
September 16th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Again, thanks for the warm welcome. I've been looking around the place and it seems like you have a nice thing going here. Knowledgeable people combined with a group hungry to learn - pretty good combination.

I was trying to get a feel for the mix as far as instruments go and it seems that the electric conversations are more frequent than the acoustics. I was almost exclusively acoustic in the Washburn forum as we would joke that the electric section was the "Dark-side". As my number of electric guitars began to out number my acoustic, I was referred to going over the dark-side. One thing I noticed on many forums, the people tend to have enlarged egos, sort of like rock stars, but without the success - I haven't seen that here.

So what is the deal with so few active post in the acoustic forum? I see the lists of guitars and there are a number of acoustic guitars, but little conversation.

I am interested in both, so I guess I will just have to see what is more entertaining. I'm not up to swapping out pups and pots (I think that's the correct electric lingo), but maybe I will after I learn more. I did notice that Strats seem to be very popular around here, whether it's Fender or some other make (maybe a true Fender person will take offense to that). I am interested in one of the "off brands" or the less expensive cousin (Squier) to add to the few guitars I have now, but I will leave that conversation for one of the other sections.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome.

BTW, any idea of the number of active members you have here (say, post at least once a week)?

Plank_Spanker
September 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM
So what is the deal with so few active post in the acoustic forum? I see the lists of guitars and there are a number of acoustic guitars, but little conversation.

Looks like it's time for you to kick the acoustic forum up a notch! :D

tot_Ou_tard
September 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM
You won't encounter the standard ego wars here.

Sez you! You ol' plank spanker! :D :D

Howz the new band working out?

Just strum, I'm waiting until I can channel enough of the the dark force before I move over to the light.

Too much to learn as it is, but I'm having a great time.

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I am very much interested in both acoustic and electric, though I probably have played my electric more in the last 4-6 months. I would enjoy having some discussions there. I own an inexpensive dreadnought called a Joshua, and really GAS for a guitar that sounds like a Rosewood and Spruce Martin D-45. I am interested in less expensive options that have that tone. The Seagull series is nice, but does not feature the deep low E scooped tone I am looking for. Let's talk! :-)

t_ross33
September 16th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'm a huge fan of acoustic guitar, and acoustic music in general. I am getting a chance to play a bit more acoustic as our band is leaning towards country and country rock, but most of the music we cover is upbeat electric based stuff, so that's where I tend to focus my practice time.

Still in the habit of picking up my acoustic and strumming away while watching TV etc. Hoping someday to develop a short set of acoustic based tunes for an "unplugged" set, or a coffee house type of gig.

Trev

sunvalleylaw
September 16th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I'm a huge fan of acoustic guitar, and acoustic music in general. I am getting a chance to play a bit more acoustic as our band is leaning towards country and country rock, but most of the music we cover is upbeat electric based stuff, so that's where I tend to focus my practice time.

Still in the habit of picking up my acoustic and strumming away while watching TV etc. Hoping someday to develop a short set of acoustic based tunes for an "unplugged" set, or a coffee house type of gig.

Trev

The Neil Young "Harvest" book I have has a lot of material that would work, and I love trying to learn all the flourishes (very slowly), but I don't know I could pull off the vocal, unless I sang down an octave. :D

kiteman
September 17th, 2007, 05:26 AM
I'm not much into acoustics guitars only because they're too boxy for me though they sound fantastic, great tones. I lucked out when I got this G1 pedal as it's got a great acoustic sim patch built in. It became my fav patch to use with the amp's onboards (my kustom combo) for some of the songs (clean and dirty). Of course I can't do with the epi vj because it's only got a volume knob.

Now I got an idea, run the acoustic sim through another unit (rp200 here) for the vj. :)

Tone2TheBone
September 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Welcome Strum. :)

just strum
September 17th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hi Strum, and welcome. I'm an older player myself that in the past few years re-discovered the guitar. The ruts are always going to come up every so often. I'm also thinking about taking lessons so that I can get through the ruts easier. Do your teenagers play any instruments? My girls play drums and piano. They give the motavation to keep playing. It's important to have music in the family. Look forward to hearing from ya.

Fastfoot

Fastfoot,

My son plays trombone and my daughter plays the CD player. The drums pictured in my profile are actually hers, but the interest disappeared quickly after she realized it's more difficult than it looks and the dream of being the next Green Day vanished. So now I have to either sell the drums or learn how to play them. I played when I was much younger, but wasn't good and it didn't stick with me.

just strum
September 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I lucked out when I got this G1 pedal as it's got a great acoustic sim patch built in.

I'm not familiar with this, what exactly is it?

tot_Ou_tard
September 18th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Fastfoot,

My son plays trombone and my daughter plays the CD player. The drums pictured in my profile are actually hers, but the interest disappeared quickly after she realized it's more difficult than it looks and the dream of being the next Green Day vanished. So now I have to either sell the drums or learn how to play them. I played when I was much younger, but wasn't good and it didn't stick with me.
I'd try to learn a few basic beats & use it to engrain rhthym in your brain, so that you develop a fierce pocket. You needn't worry about becoming a drummer to learn something from them. If I had a bass guitar, I use it to improve my groove.

just strum
September 18th, 2007, 03:50 PM
but I don't know I could pull off the vocal, unless I sang down an octave. :D

Neither can Bob Dylan and Neil Young, but they manged to make enough money for coffee and a newspaper.

Brian Krashpad
September 21st, 2007, 10:42 AM
Welcome! Good to have new players to balance out the old and jaded!

;)