PDA

View Full Version : Intimidated by DIY??

duhvoodooman
September 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM
If you find the idea of building your own effects pedals a bit daunting, then Keith Vonderhulls over at Buildyourownclone.com has something to assuage your fears. For first-time customers, buy one or more of Keith's excellent pedal kits and you'll get his new "Confidence" Booster kit (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/confidence.html) free of charge. This simple linear booster is a perfect "learn as you go" project. And if you screw it up--SO WHAT?? Didn't cost you anything, and you can return the other kit(s) for a full refund if you decide DIY'ing just isn't for you.

So whaddya waitin' for?? :Dude: :R :AOK:

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
C'mon, you pansies! Isn't anybody man (or woman!) enough to step up to the soldering iron and give this a try? :reallymad:

Seriously, until I built my first BYOC kit late last year, I'd never done any substantial amount of work on electronics and had no soldering experience other than watching other people do it. This stuff ISN'T HARD, and it's a lot of fun. Especially when you plug in an effect box the first time and it makes the noise it's supposed to!

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I'd order one of those, except I've already ordered three Tube Screamer boards from BYOC. :(

Duhvoodooman is right: that is a screamin' deal, jump on it!

tung

C'mon, you pansies! Isn't anybody man (or woman!) enough to step up to the soldering iron and give this a try? :reallymad:

Seriously, until I built my first BYOC kit late last year, I'd never done any substantial amount of work on electronics and had no soldering experience other than watching other people do it. This stuff ISN'T HARD, and it's a lot of fun. Especially when you plug in an effect box the first time and it makes the noise it's supposed to!

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Huh, I missed this before. Will check it out. Might need a fuzz or something and then get the confidence booster for fun. Does he sell a talent boost?

Guitar Gal
September 18th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Looks like a fun project....I'm in :Dude:

I was looking at that octafuzz......every GG needs a good fuzz pedal for those Jimi moments :DR

Thanks for the link duhvoodooman!

GG

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Cool, can't beat free can you. :AOK:

Let us know how it turns out.

tung

I was looking at that octafuzz......every GG needs a good fuzz pedal for those Jimi moments :DR

GG

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Does he sell a talent boost?
If he did, I'd build 5 of them and daisy chain 'em together!! ;)

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM

GG
Well, AWRIGHT!! Now you're talkin'! :R

Yeah, the octafuzz is pretty cool, and is one of Keith's newer kits. The Overdrive is his most popular kit, based directly upon the legendary TS-808 circuit. Another one that I can vouch for personally is the Mighty Mouse, which is a ProCo Rat clone. This pedal sounds AMAZING--sustains for days. It's a little tougher build than some, though, mostly due to a kind of tricky alignment of the PCB with a DPDT toggle switch. The Triboost is very cool, too, from what I've read, and the Fuzz Face clone looks interesting. So many kits, so little time! :D

Bloozcat
September 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM
A BYOC Script 90 Phase is on my already burgeoning Christmas list, so the Confidence Booster Kit will be as well.

Mrs. Santa is usually pretty good at making sure that I get my little hearts desires (because I'm such a good boy :rolleyes:), that I'll probably see it under the tree in a few short months.