PDA

View Full Version : tap tap tap...is this thing on?

warren0728
February 20th, 2006, 09:34 AM
where are all the fretters? I'm up in nyc and there has been almost no traffic on this board....i'm jonesing for posts!!!

Went to a nice intimate jazz vocalist concert on saturday and when we left the theatre it was 17 degrees with a forty or so mph wind....coldest i've been in a loooooonngg time!

ww

Guitar-Chris
February 20th, 2006, 12:27 PM
where are all the fretters? I'm up in nyc and there has been almost no traffic on this board....i'm jonesing for posts!!!

You're right. But for me I was very busy the last days. I think, on the next days i will post mor often again.

Tim
February 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Hi Warren,

I have been wondering the same thing … where is everyone? How the weather up there in New York City besides C-C-COLD? You have been there for five days. Are you ready to move there yet? Weather here in FL has been the same, cold nights low 40s and 50 during the day (that’s cold for us Floridians). I have been hitting “Blues You can Use” most of the weekend, thanks to Tremoloman. He is the one that has been pushing me to practice the book. I remember you mentioning it some time back but it did not click. We should have something in common when we meet in March.

BTW, I keep losing the tempo on the bends. I am getting ready to begin Lesson 4 where you combine patters 1 & 2. I should be on this one at least a week. Now I have three songs to practice. Too bad they are such short songs. Just when you’re getting into one of the songs, it ends.

Stay warm and safe, you will be back in warm Florida soon.

warren0728
February 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM
i'm coming home tonight (monday)!

I'm on the same chapter in Blues You Can Use...

ww

r_a_smith3530
February 20th, 2006, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=Tim]Too bad they are such short songs. Just when you’re getting into one of the songs, it ends.QUOTE]

That's what turnarounds are for! ;)

As for me, this project at work is kickin' the stuffin's outta me! We're opening a new AutoZone in my town, and I am part of the setup crew (I'll be an Asst. Mgr. when the store opens). Last Monday morning, we walked in to see four walls and a ceiling. There was no electricity, and hence, no heat, aside from that provided by a huge propane-powered Bunson Burner. Anyway, we unloaded five semi truckloads of store fixtures and began building the racks that would hold all the parts shelving. Some of these things are twelve feet high. We were off Tuesday because of the lack of heat, and so we made up by working all day Saturday. Today, we came in and finished setting up all the tags. Unfortunately, we didn't get our first shipment of parts, so we got sent home early.

The up side to coming home early though, is that I dug out an old toy that I have, a Kawai GB-1 Session Trainer. I plugged it in to my amp and have been playing along with it all afternoon (at least until I took this break to check mail and such). What a blast! It is a lot more fun than practicing with a metronome, and since it actually plays through the amp, you can hear it too.

Guitar-Chris
February 21st, 2006, 12:49 AM
I have been hitting “Blues You can Use” most of the weekend, thanks to Tremoloman. He is the one that has been pushing me to practice the book. I remember you mentioning it some time back but it did not click. We should have something in common when we meet in March.

Hey i think we could play a "Blues you can Use" Session :R

I'm in chapter 9 "Getting funky" but i got stuck in this part.
At all, the songs are short, but I like them very much. And you can use the licks in your own solos.

Tim
February 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM
I sure could use more than a 1 and a half minute quick 12 bar blues tune backing track. Anybody willing to do a few blues tunes? A song in the key of “A” would be wonderful since the book “Blues You Can Use” has the lessons in the key of “A”. Anything longer than 120 seconds would be great. I know Warren and I would greatly appreciate it, and probably some other fretters also.

We should start a new thread for the topic.

R A - I was talking about the tunes on the CD only being about 90 seconds or so long. The songs should be longer so you can get into to it.

SuperSwede
February 21st, 2006, 07:45 AM
Hi all, I have been really sick(well I dont know what the poper name is in english vomit-sickness perhaps..), been throwing up a lot for a few days ! :(

Still a bit shaky and tired... yuck..

Tim
February 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM
Take care Super Swede. I was in bed most of the weekend myself. My wonderful wife gave me her cold. Cold & hot sweats at night. Sore throat with a head cold and a lot of drainage. Yuk!! I still got the old ax out and practiced for 2 hours total. I will have to decontaminate the guitar room when I get better. I'm sure there are other fretters sick out there. Could be the reason for low board activity.

SuperSwede
February 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks Tim,

I was expecting something like 30 posts when I returned, but it really seems a bit dead...

warren0728
February 21st, 2006, 10:00 AM
well i'm back in sunny florida!!!! Yay back to shorts and no socks!!

managed to not get sick during my trip...i think that's a first....usually a couple of plane rides in a week is sure to get you sick but so far so good (knock on wood).

tim and ss: sorry you guys are under the weather....hope you are better soon.

ww

Tim
February 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Warren - Don't speak to fast. I don’t want to be the bearer of sad news, but, incubation is 24 -72 hours from your last airplane ride. I hate airplanes and breathing other people’s air. It’s like sucking the impure air right from their lungs. Stay healthy fellow fretter.

marnold
February 21st, 2006, 10:41 AM
I've been looking for a more blues-oriented thing to complement my Metal Method lessons. Is the general consensus that "Blues You Can Use" is the way to go?

warren0728
February 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
managed to not get sick during my trip...i think that's a first....usually a couple of plane rides in a week is sure to get you sick but so far so good (knock on wood).

yeah but i did knock on wood...that should help...right? :D

Tim
February 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
I've been looking for a more blues-oriented thing to complement my Metal Method lessons. Is the general consensus that "Blues You Can Use" is the way to go?

I don't know if "Blues You Can Use" is the way to go, but at least 3 of us are using the book and CD (Tremolman, Warren and I). There maybe more fretters out there using it or something comparable.

SuperSwede
February 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM
I am considering to isolate myself on a small island and drink nothing but strong alcoholic homebrewed stuff!

Guitar-Chris
February 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
I don't know if "Blues You Can Use" is the way to go, but at least 3 of us are using the book and CD (Tremolman, Warren and I). There maybe more fretters out there using it or something comparable.

Hey, Tim, I'm also a "blueser".

Uaaaah, nobody reads my postings.... :(

Theres is also a book "More blues you can use" And damn, the things are getting very tricky. :R

Tim
February 21st, 2006, 01:45 PM
GC – I saw that book when I was researching the “BUCU” book. Have you done any exercises out the “More You Can Use” book? If so, how hard are they?

Guitar-Chris
February 21st, 2006, 01:54 PM
GC – I saw that book when I was researching the “BUCU” book. Have you done any exercises out the “More You Can Use” book? If so, how hard are they?

I had the book from a friend for one day. In the moment, the lessons are too difficult for me. As i want to improve my skills (and only can) step by step, i think, at first i will go on for the next chapters in BUCU. But for more advanced players i think MBUCU is a very good choice.

Tim
February 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM
GC – I missed read your previous post. I thought I read that you were using a book entitled “Getting Funky”. When in fact it is lesson 9 in BUCU. Sorry I have not even read that far a head. Your way past Warren and I who are on lesson 4. I do not know where Tremoloman is in the book. I tried the lesson 4 study, “Swinging The Blues” in the slow mode. I thought I was pretty good until I heard it in full speed. WOW! I will most likely be here for a while.

Marnold – There you have it buddy. There are now our fretters using “Blues You Can Use” (BUCU). With one wishing to move on to MBUCU.

warren0728
February 21st, 2006, 03:51 PM
GC – Your way past Warren and I who are on lesson 4. I do not know where Tremoloman is in the book. I tried the lesson 4 study, “Swinging The Blues” in the slow mode. I thought I was pretty good until I heard it in full speed. WOW! I will most likely be here for a while.
me too...thought i was cruising through the lessons until lesson 4....gonna be on that one awhile myself.

ww

Tim
February 21st, 2006, 03:54 PM
Ok! I am starting new thread called, what else "Blues You Can Use" aka ... BUCU.

Guitar-Chris
February 22nd, 2006, 12:21 AM
Marnold – There you have it buddy. There are now our fretters using “Blues You Can Use” (BUCU). With one wishing to move on to MBUCU.

"Wishing" yeah that's the right term :rolleyes:

The first 1 to 3 lessons i found relatively easy, but then the tempo of learnings slowed down. And i think, i should only go on, if a lesson is well done. Otherwise your skills won't increase. So, it will take take time 'til lesson 21.

I also have problems with the the 9 (none) chords like A9 or so. They are new to me and my fingers fail to get them clean played.

Tim
February 22nd, 2006, 05:02 AM
Yep, them 9 chords are tough for me also.