PDA

View Full Version : Everything You've ever wanted to know about

Big_Rob
September 17th, 2007, 09:05 AM
That lil ol band from Texas - ZZ Top

http://www.famoustexans.com/zztop.htm

Algonquin
September 17th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Ummm... how come the guy named Beard, is the only guy who doesn't have one?

Big_Rob
September 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Ummm... how come the guy named Beard, is the only guy who doesn't have one?

Ive always noticed that as well. I've always thought it funny that a guy named beard thats in a band with guys that have long beards doesnt have one.

Tone2TheBone
September 17th, 2007, 10:53 AM
The bio on that site says Billy never married but he is married to a hot babe named Gilligan.

Big_Rob
September 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM
The bio on that site says Billy never married but he is married to a hot babe named Gilligan.

It musta been written before he got married. I bought the lastest "Guitar Legends" mag that features Billy (WOW! Hes quite the eccentric) and it mentioned her as being his "missus"

SuperSwede
September 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM

And he seems to be dating swedes!

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1235&highlight=meja

Spudman
September 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I met Billy one day.

He came into the bicycle shop that I was working in before that evening's gig. He asked if we had any mountain bikes. Sadly I had to tell him that we didn't have any in stock that would fit him. He is very leggy. Then like an idiot I let him walk out the door without getting an autograph or asking if I could sit in on a couple of tunes.:thwap:

tunghaichuan
September 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM

IOW, his wife is married, but Billy isn't :D

tung

tunghaichuan
September 17th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for posting that. ZZ Top will always be a very special band to me.

My dad was a huge ZZ Top fan. He worked in Texas and caught them at whatever dive they were playing that weekend. He must have seen them 20 times or so.

My dad was diagnosed with cancer in the summer of 1990. ZZ Top kicked off their Recycler tour in Wichita, KS that fall. My brother and I got tickets for my dad and us. My my uncle (my dad's younger brother) works for an airline and can fly just about anywhere he wants for free so my dad told hime to come to town and we would get him a ticket. We all went to the show and had a great time.

It was the last time my dad felt well. The chemo started to kick in and he got worse and worse. He died a few months later. He was 52, only ten year older than I am now. As far as I'm concerned, ZZ Top can do no wrong.

tung

That lil ol band from Texas - ZZ Top

http://www.famoustexans.com/zztop.htm

Big_Rob
September 18th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Removed the video because it doesnt werk

tot_Ou_tard
September 18th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks for posting that. ZZ Top will always be a very special band to me.

My dad was a huge ZZ Top fan. He worked in Texas and caught them at whatever dive they were playing that weekend. He must have seen them 20 times or so.

My dad was diagnosed with cancer in the summer of 1990. ZZ Top kicked off their Recycler tour in Wichita, KS that fall. My brother and I got tickets for my dad and us. My my uncle (my dad's younger brother) works for an airline and can fly just about anywhere he wants for free so my dad told hime to come to town and we would get him a ticket. We all went to the show and had a great time.

It was the last time my dad felt well. The chemo started to kick in and he got worse and worse. He died a few months later. He was 52, only ten year older than I am now. As far as I'm concerned, ZZ Top can do no wrong.

tung
A very touching story Steve. My father-in-law was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He is still a strong & muscular 78 year-old. Very touching indeed.

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM
A very touching story Steve. My father-in-law was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He is still a strong & muscular 78 year-old. Very touching indeed.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

My dad was a life-long outdoorsman: hunting, fishing, etc. He loved to go backpacking and hiking. He and my mom hiked in and out of the Grand Canyon several times. When I was in jr high and high school, we'd take family trips to Colorado and go backpacking deep into the wilderness areas.

It was really hard to watch a once-vibrant, healthy man whither away like he did. He was a good, decent man and deserved better.

tung

just strum
September 18th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I think most of us have been close to at least one person that has battled or lost the battle with cancer. I remember when I was younger seeing two family members deal with it and I know words cannot express my thoughts for what you and your families have or had to deal with.

Out of no disrespect, I thought I would change direction and tell my little story or ZZ Top experience. I had never heard of the band, but they were the opening act for...Cheech and Chong at the Cleveland Agora. I was there to see Cheech and Chong and while standing around these guys came out and just kicked butt. To see them in a place that is or was nothing more than a dance hall was a real experience.

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Out of no disrespect,

None taken :)

I thought I would change direction and tell my little story or ZZ Top experience. I had never heard of the band, but they were the opening act for...Cheech and Chong at the Cleveland Agora. I was there to see Cheech and Chong and while standing around these guys came out and just kicked butt. To see them in a place that is or was nothing more than a dance hall was a real experience.

Here's my other ZZ Top story:

My wife, my brother, an friend and I went to see ZZ Top at Red Rocks Ampitheater about 10 years ago. About 5 minutes into ZZ Top's set, it started to downpour, I mean raining cats and dogs. We ran down the hill to the car but got soaked in the process; I can't ever remember being that soaked or that miserable. It must have rained for two hours straight, so obviously the concert was cancelled. To their credit, ZZ Top rescheduled, but I had the flu at the time of the rescheduled concert, so I missed them again :reallymad:

I guess it just wasn't meant to be :thwap:

tung

YerDugliness
October 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
I've seen ZZ Top on numerous occasions, probably not surprising since they live in the Houston area. Frank Beard is really a family man, lives at the "Top 40 Ranch" in Richmond, TX, right next to the Pecan Grove subdivision, and his family loads up into the pickup and tailgates at his son's baseball games.

The last time I saw ZZ Top was in Houston on Millenium New Year's Eve. They were the headline act, and Lynard Skynard was one of the other acts. It was good times :messedup: !!

They always ROCK, and it's hard to believe they get that much sound out of only 3 instruments.

"uh...how....how...how... :D "

Dugly :cool:

t_ross33
October 3rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Billy is just sick. Sick, as in FREAKIN AWESOME (I'm down with all the new slang, or at least I think I am... I'm gonna be such an embarrassment to my kids :rotflmao: )

Haven't had a chance to see them, but I've been a fan since I heard La Grange as a youngster. I remember crankin' that up (had it on a mix tape when I was about 10) and all my buddies just staring at me all glassy eyed, like "what the hell?"

Billy's one cool cat. I like the cool factor as much as his guitar playing. Well, almost.

Trev