PDA

View Full Version : New Gal in Town

Guitar Gal
September 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Hello All,

Been lurking for awhile and decided to join and introduce myself.

Some background info....I'm a product of the 80's....spandex, big hair...... picked up my first acoustic guitar at about age 9 and messed around for awhile. Later, ended up getting a "real guitar", a Fender acoustic (not sure what kind) in college and took lessons for a short time. Being a broke college student, I sold the guitar and later regretted it. Didn't get back into seriously playing again until about 2 years ago when I got a Washburn D10S acoustic. Since then, I have acquired a couple other Washburns (J28SDL, F52SW, D56SW, and a Idol 67 Pro). The Idol 67 Pro got me interested in electric guitars and I got a Squire Strat and a Squire '51. While researching the "51, I found Robert and Dolphinstreet.com .... nice video BTW Robert with the "51 :beer: I found this site from the Dolphinstreet site. Seems like a good group of people. Looking forward to chatting with everyone here and learning lots! :Dude:

Special hello goes out to Just Strum.....we met about a year ago on the Washburn site. :AOK:

Guitar Gal

Tone2TheBone
September 17th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Welcome Guitar Gal. :)

Robert
September 17th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Welcome aboard the Fret boat! Good to have you here. It seems like a lot of people end here after finding Dolphinstreet first. That is cool.

Glad you like the '51 videos! I made quite a few of them back in the day.

What kind of music are you into?

Tim
September 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Hello Guitar Gal. This is a nice forum to belong too. We are happy to have you aboard!

sunvalleylaw
September 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Hi Guitar Gal! This is a very nice place and I am glad you joined us.

t_ross33
September 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Welcome Aboard GG! About time we counterbalanced the testosterone level around here :beer:

That being said, I think poseritude and testosterone go hand and hand (eh, Krashpad? :rotflmao:)

Cool that you're into Washburns. I also play a D10 and like it alot, and I love my HB-30/CH. I've had my eye on the Idol Pro series as well as an LP alternative... we'll see.

Trev

Guitar Gal
September 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

Robert, I am mostly interested in playing classic rock and blues. I've found your site to be quite helpful......along with the many guitar books I have acquired. I have a Vox AD30VT that I've been playing around with for the last year or so. I'm still learning what it can do! I also picked up an Epiphone Valve Junior Combo about a month ago after reading lots of positive reviews. I have not done any modifications to it as many others have done. Right now I am just enjoying the stock sound and practicing to become a better player.

Guitar Gal

SuperSwede
September 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Welcome Guitar Gal!

Warren will be here shortly to give you a proper welcome.

kiteman
September 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Guitar gal hey? well, I'm a guitar guy so let grab our axes and go melt some faces. :beer:

Welcome! :Dude:

pes_laul
September 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
welcome guitar gal and warren wheres the pancakes???

ted s
September 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Welcome GuitarGal, as previously mentioned, it's about time we had a member of the female persuasion. :AOK:

Guitar Gal
September 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
There are pancakes too?? What a great place! I should have joined sooner...lol

warren0728
September 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM
welcome Guitar Gal....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

warren0728
September 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM
There are pancakes too?? What a great place! I should have joined sooner...lol
you might want to do your research before i cook up some pancakes for you! :eek: :pancake

ww

Guitar Gal
September 17th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Looks like I'd better do some research on Warren's pancakes....:eek:

GG

Tim
September 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Believe me Guitar Gal. Leave this one alone !!! :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Tone2TheBone
September 17th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I knew someone would eventually scare the first girl off here with that pancake story! LMAO ;) Btw GG your cat has good taste in amps. :AOK:

Spudman
September 17th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Hi GG and welcome.
There is a lot of good information in our older posts. Enjoy your travels through our mess.

M29
September 17th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Welcome Guitar Gal, great to have you aboard:D

M29

tunghaichuan
September 17th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Since I'm new here, what is the pancake story? What is the deal with the pancakes?

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to be rude: welcome Guitar Gal. This is a great board, I just started posting last week and have recieved a very warm welcome.

tung

I knew someone would eventually scare the first girl off here with that pancake story! LMAO ;) Btw GG your cat has good taste in amps. :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
September 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Welcome GG!!

We like having new people here.

Steve, do a search on pancakes...but be forwarned! :eek:

just strum
September 17th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Special hello goes out to Just Strum.....we met about a year ago on the Washburn site. :AOK:

Guitar Gal

GG,

When I turned on the computer tonight it was great to see that forum name of yours. I just registered a couple of days ago and although I haven't had much time to post, I think this is a good group of people that have assembled here. We will need to get that acoustic section cranked up a little, but still this seems like a nice place.

Robert, GG is the one that recommended directed me to Dolphinstreet because of my interest of learning how to play the blues.

GG, it's great to have you here.

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Guitar Gal. Glad to have you here! :AOK:

Bloozcat
September 18th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Welcome Guitar Gal!

Classic rock and blues, huh? I think you'll find a few around here with similar interests (nah, ya think?)...:)

Guitar Gal
September 18th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks again for all the nice welcomes! :beer:

Duhvoodooman....I see you are from Uppah Noo Yawk....how far up? I went to grad school at Plattsburgh and ended up working for about 10 years in Syracuse before moving back to Ohio. I still have friends in Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. Upstate NY is very beautiful. I miss the Adirondack Mountains....no mountains here in Ohio.

Strum....great to see you here too! :DR

GG

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Duhvoodooman....I see you are from Uppah Noo Yawk....how far up? I went to grad school at Plattsburgh and ended up working for about 10 years in Syracuse before moving back to Ohio. I still have friends in Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. Upstate NY is very beautiful. I miss the Adirondack Mountains....no mountains here in Ohio.
Albany-Schenectady area. It's not really that far up, but for folks that think the the state pretty much ends at the northern boundaries of Westchester County, it's practically the Arctic! ;) Now, Plattsburgh--THAT'S "Uppah Noo Yawk"!

Yes, upstate NY is indeed a beautiful area. I heartily recommend it!

tot_Ou_tard
September 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM
GG,

Any significance to your rockin' kitty avatar?

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Albany-Schenectady area. It's not really that far up, but for folks that think the the state pretty much ends at the northern boundaries of Westchester County, it's practically the Arctic! ;) Now, Plattsburgh--THAT'S "Uppah Noo Yawk"!

Yes, upstate NY is indeed a beautiful area. I heartily recommend it!

Is somewhere up there where "On Golden Pond" was filmed? The scenery of that movie really hit with me. Would love to visit it.

Guitar Gal
September 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM
GG,

No real significance in my avatar other than I like cats and guitars....and the rockin' kitty was just soooo cute....:D

GG

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 01:20 PM
GG,

I saw the same picture on Michael Schenker's web site a while ago (at least I think it was his). Just one rockin' cat.

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM
No real significance in my avatar other than I like cats and guitars....and the rockin' kitty was just soooo cute....:D

GG
Welcome Guitar Gurl..
Can't beat a rockin'kitty!

http://a862.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/120/l_45c852af61cb5b8755279f274402886d.jpg

I have one..and she really does play better then me!!

Ummm..please.. don't order the pancakes...:pancake

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I love that shot Justa! :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Where'd you get that tweed guitar strap Justa!

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Where'd you get that tweed guitar strap Justa!
E-bay ofcourse! :rotflmao: Ummm the Kitty actually plays Bass better.. with all four paws.. caught her climbing on the wall as it hung there.. no camera handy.. but I will catch it some day!

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM
E-bay ofcourse! :rotflmao: Ummm the Kitty actually plays Bass better.. with all four paws.. caught her climbing on the wall as it hung there.. no camera handy.. but I will catch it some day!

Man you get all the cool accessories. :beer:

SuperSwede
September 18th, 2007, 02:12 PM

So you finally made peace with ebay Justa?

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM

GG

You've probably seen these a million times, but:

Northern (England) Kittens (http://www.rathergood.com/independent_woman/)

Viking Kittens (http://users.wolfcrews.com/toys/vikings/) :Dude:

tung

Justaguyin_nc
September 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
So you finally made peace with ebay Justa?

My goodness we are hijacking GuitarGurls thread... :messedup:

I will never make peace...im just addicted...lol

Guitar Gurl.... excuse the Hijacking... and welcome to the best guitar forum to add to the G.A.S..... bring your purse...your going to need it!

SuperSwede
September 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM
My goodness we are hijacking GuitarGurls thread... :messedup:

I will never make peace...im just addicted...lol

Guitar Gurl.... excuse the Hijacking... and welcome to the best guitar forum to add to the G.A.S..... bring your purse...your going to need it!

The fretnet is all about going off-topic.. with style.

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Yep, she might as well learn now. LOL!

just strum
September 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Didn't get back into seriously playing again until about 2 years ago when I got a Washburn D10S acoustic. Since then, I have acquired a couple other Washburns (J28SDL, F52SW, D56SW, and a Idol 67 Pro). The Idol 67 Pro got me interested in electric guitars and I got a Squire Strat and a Squire '51.
Guitar Gal

GG,

In all th excitement of seeing that you registered here I didn't pay attention to the group of guitars you've assembled. That is a nice little collection you have going there.

That Idol 67 Pro is still one that I am very envious of. I sold off a couple of my acoustics, but I still have the J28SDL. I had an offer for it, but I am trying to get my son interested in playing and figure I better keep one around (of course I will buy at least another one or two down the road).

I didn't realize or maybe I forgot that you had a D56SW. How do you like that guitar? I've been doing more window shopping than anything else when it comes to another acoustic and when the time comes I figure I will open the selection up to other manufacturers. Right now I'm looking at Seagull and Wingsdad recommended looking at Tacoma.

Guitar Gal
September 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM
No worries about hijacking my thread....that's what makes these forums interesting :D

Strum....I do like my D56SW. It's my first rosewood body guitar so I have nothing to compare it to, but the sound is very deep and bassy....much more so than the mahogony body guitars. It really projects the sound! I'm not sure how the Washburn compares to other rosewood guitars, but I am quite pleased with the tone. It makes a nice addition to my family as I now have maple, mahogony, and rosewood guits :DR Keep me updated on your search for another acoustic!

I was playing the WI67PRO this weekend. I played it through my Vox and am liking the clean, bluesy tones I am getting. I'm still not a big fan of the VCC controls and may switch them out for tone pots at some point. It's one of those things on "my list" of things to do. Probably a good project for one of those cold winter weekends we will have here before we know it....

GG

just strum
September 18th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Probably a good project for one of those cold winter weekends we will have here before we know it....

GG

Yep, not far off, but I would assume you are having the same weather as us right now and if you are, it is some of the best all year - they are talking 8 straight days of 78 to 82 degrees and low humidity. Perfect weather in my books - open up all the windows, crank up the Vox and give the neighbors something to complain about.

tot_Ou_tard
September 19th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Wow GG, you do have a lot of Washburns. Would you recommend any of these, or would you go with something different if you were to start over?

I saw the same picture on Michael Schenker's web site a while ago (at least I think it was his). Just one rockin' cat.

Voxman uses it as his avatar on another forum (StompBox? Or some such thing)

You've probably seen these a million times, but:

Northern (England) Kittens (http://www.rathergood.com/independent_woman/)

Viking Kittens (http://users.wolfcrews.com/toys/vikings/) :Dude:

tung
I've never seen those before. I like the Northern Kittens.

Jimi75
September 19th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Hey I keep my welcome short and standard:

Welcome to the Fret. You will love this place.

:pancake

tot_Ou_tard
September 19th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Hey I keep my welcome short and standard:

Welcome to the Fret. You will love this place.

:pancake
Your's, however, has not yet been copyrighted.:D

kiteman
September 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Hey GG

got a full size pic of your avatar? My sis loves cats but don't like me playing hard rock or heavy metal in the house so this pic is perfect to put on her desktop. :rotflmao:

Guitar Gal
September 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Wow GG, you do have a lot of Washburns. Would you recommend any of these, or would you go with something different if you were to start over?

Voxman uses it as his avatar on another forum (StompBox? Or some such thing)

I've never seen those before. I like the Northern Kittens.

I would recommend any of these Washburns. The acoustics I have are solid wood and sound fantastic. Not saying that they sound better than a high end Martin....but a Martin is not in my budget and to my ear, they are very good. The J28SDL is a maple body with a solid spruce top and is bright sounding. I had her strung with D'Addario EJ16 Lights (12 - 53) and have recently switched to Martin Acoustic SP Lights. I want to try flat wounds too. The F52SW is a folk sized all mahogany body and a solid spruce top. For a smaller guitar, she puts out a lot of sound. Very warm and balanced tone. I'm not sure this model is available anymore. I think it was a limited production. The D56SW is a rosewood body and solid spruce top. The rosewood is more bassy than the mahogany. I have EJ16's on both the F52SW and the D56SW. The WI67PRO is my Washburn electric. It is a semi hollow and I'm not sure this one is available anymore either. I like the sound, but the one thing I'm not really liking too much is the VCC pots instead of tone pots. You can go to the Washburn electric site and read tons about the VCC controls.....some people like them and some don't. The VCC pots are supposed to allow you to switch from single coil sound to humbucker sound by turning the knobs.....kinda like a coil tap I guess....but not the same.

Perhaps more than you wanted to know....but there ya go....my .02 :AOK:

GG

Guitar Gal
September 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hey GG

got a full size pic of your avatar? My sis loves cats but don't like me playing hard rock or heavy metal in the house so this pic is perfect to put on her desktop. :rotflmao:

Sorry Kiteman....the avatar size is the only size I have of the rockin' kitty.

GG

tot_Ou_tard
September 20th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Perhaps more than you wanted to know....but there ya go....my .02 :AOK:

GG
It is never more than I want to know, I'm insatiable ;).

Do you have opinions on which style of guitar is good for fingerpicking & flatpicking lead lines & which for playing chords?

just strum
September 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM
This is the kind of conversation we need to get started in the Acoustic section.

Spudman
September 20th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Excellent suggestion Strum. I was thinking the same thing myself. We can use some good material over in the acoustic forum.

tot_Ou_tard
September 21st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Excellent suggestion Strum. I was thinking the same thing myself. We can use some good material over in the acoustic forum.
I've already started up a thread there. Come on over & toss in your two-picks worth!

Brian Krashpad
September 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Welcome Aboard GG! About time we counterbalanced the testosterone level around here :beer:

That being said, I think poseritude and testosterone go hand and hand (eh, Krashpad? :rotflmao:)

Why Trev, thou dost cut me to the quick!

Welcome Guitar Gal. ;)

oldguy
September 22nd, 2007, 06:12 AM
Welcome to TheFret.Net. Glad you joined us here, lots of friendly folks and tons of info (if you can sift through enough threads to find it).