PDA

View Full Version : Tuborg Gron Pilsner

SuperSwede
September 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
:beer:

Cheers mates!
If you have missed out on this fantastic danish beer, I would strongly recommend that you invest in at least one case of these fantastic pilsners. Smooth and fresh!

Tone2TheBone
September 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah? I'll go look for some this week in the imported section.

SuperSwede
September 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Rob, what beer do you usually buy?

Tone2TheBone
September 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Rob, what beer do you usually buy?

Depends. I like different ones. This past weekend I got some St. Pauli Girl just cause I like looking at the cartoon girl on the bottle. Last weekend I got Mexican beer (Negra Modelo). Other times it's English Ales like Bass or Newcastle. Sometimes it's just plain good old Guinness. It varies. I'll see if I can find some of that Tuborg though....

sunvalleylaw
September 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM

I have never seen that one in the import section. I will keep my eye out. Might need to find a real import shop for that one. Here in intermountain Idaho, there are not as many beers available as in towns like Seattle.

Tone2TheBone
September 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I have never seen that one in the import section. I will keep my eye out. Might need to find a real import shop for that one. Here in intermountain Idaho, there are not as many beers available as in towns like Seattle.

We've got a couple of good places for imports here. One of them is bound to have that one.

Robert
September 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Carlsberg is a good Danish beer too.

You guys need to try the Canadian beer like Big Rock and Rickard's Red - great stuff!

SuperSwede
September 18th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Depends. I like different ones. This past weekend I got some St. Pauli Girl just cause I like looking at the cartoon girl on the bottle. Last weekend I got Mexican beer (Negra Modelo). Other times it's English Ales like Bass or Newcastle. Sometimes it's just plain good old Guinness. It varies. I'll see if I can find some of that Tuborg though....

Hmm.. I dont think that I´ve tried a mexican beer. Are the typical mexican beer light or dark?

tot_Ou_tard
September 18th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Hmm.. I dont think that I´ve tried a mexican beer. Are the typical mexican beer light or dark?
Beers like Corona are light and are often served with a wedge of lemon. Great refreshing beer for a hot day. Dos Equis comes in a lighter and a darker version. If I recall correctly Negra Modelo is on the dark side of things (probably the origin of Negra in the name). More like a dark lager, I've never heard of a Mexican stout.

duhvoodooman
September 18th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Negro Modelo comes in both light & dark versions. Corona is the most popular Mexican beer here in the US, but there are several others I see pretty commonly, including Tecate, Dos Equis, Superior, Carta Blanca, and (my favorite) Bohemia. :beer:

marnold
September 18th, 2007, 07:04 AM
The slice of lemon in a Corona is in no small part to mask the skunkiness (for those of you on the British Isles "cattyness") from packaging the beer in clear bottles. Here's a little-known fact for you. The hops in beer react with sunlight causing a chemical change that produces that well-known skunky smell and taste. Actually, it doesn't just smell like a skunk, it's the exact same compound as the one in skunks. Brown bottles help filter the light to reduce skunkiness. Green and clear bottles do nothing. That's why so many great European beers taste and smell like crap when they come over to the States. Some even call that the "import flavor," not realizing that that is NOT the way the brewer intended.

Some time try this comparison: buy some Heineken and Corona. Buy some in bottles and some in cans. They won't taste anywhere near the same. The can will give a much truer indication of the intended flavor because light can't get through at all.

Thankfully, shippers have gotten much better in the past decade or two of getting beer here more quickly and more well protected. I wish everybody would quit using green bottles but many consumers feel that a green bottle denotes quality or an upscale beer.

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Some time try this comparison: buy some Heineken and Corona. Buy some in bottles and some in cans.

What!? Heineken in a can?? What the heck is that? I suppose next you'll want me to believe that we didn't really go to the moon. :)

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Wow you know what Marnold I've noticed that with the Heinies in a can now that you mention it. That's what I usually order on plane flights and I have noticed the difference in skunkiness and taste. Bohemia is good too Voo :beer:

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM
The slice of lemon in a Corona is in no small part to mask the skunkiness (for those of you on the British Isles "cattyness") from packaging the beer in clear bottles. Here's a little-known fact for you. The hops in beer react with sunlight causing a chemical change that produces that well-known skunky smell and taste. Actually, it doesn't just smell like a skunk, it's the exact same compound as the one in skunks. Brown bottles help filter the light to reduce skunkiness. Green and clear bottles do nothing. That's why so many great European beers taste and smell like crap when they come over to the States. Some even call that the "import flavor," not realizing that that is NOT the way the brewer intended.

Some time try this comparison: buy some Heineken and Corona. Buy some in bottles and some in cans. They won't taste anywhere near the same. The can will give a much truer indication of the intended flavor because light can't get through at all.

Thankfully, shippers have gotten much better in the past decade or two of getting beer here more quickly and more well protected. I wish everybody would quit using green bottles but many consumers feel that a green bottle denotes quality or an upscale beer.

Good info there Marnold. On vacation in Puerto Vallarta with our condo across the highway from a mexican beer distributor, I decided over the week that I prefered Pacifico to Corona. I presume I was getting fresh beer there, and it seemed Pacifico, though still light, had a little more snap to it. The Pacificos come in brown bottles and the Coronas clear for those that don't know.

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM
So one company, Grupo Modelo, makes Corona, Pacifico, both Modelos (Negra and the lighter Especial). I've never had Mekikan beer in any other states other than NM, TX and CA so now I'm wondering if Corona is skunkier where you live? It isn't here. Then again it's pretty close to Old Mekiko.

Anywho Swede I'll look for some of that Pilsner today thanks for the tip brother.

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I've never had Mekikan beer in any other states other than NM, TX and CA so now I'm wondering if Corona is skunkier where you live?

Looks like a test is in order. Fellow Fretters it is now time to do your duty.
I'll try to find and test as many clear bottled beers as possible this week, but please don't expect me to include MGD (gag reflex initiated). When I'm sober and can type I'll post my results.

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Oh God anything Miller BLAH....BLECK makes me wanna puke.

We need a throwing up smiley but that will probably "cost" me. haha

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
We need a throwing up smiley but that will probably "cost" me. haha

Go pick some peyote. You'll forget all about the smiley.:messedup:

Tim
September 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I normally drink tap beer. For some reason bottled and can beer has turned against my taste buds. I have tried both the Slovak and Czech beers. These pilsne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner)r beers are very dark, thick and smooth. Guess where the original Budweiser beer was brewed? Budwies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Cesk%C3%A9_Bud%C4%9Bjovice)

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I normally drink tap beer.

Heavens! If I could get beer to come out of my tap I'd quit drinking bottled beer too. That's like a dream come true. Do they only have that in Florida? Why can't we get beer out of our taps in Idaho? Probably because we still need phones and pavement first.:(

Tim
September 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Heavens! If I could get beer to come out of my tap I'd quit drinking bottled beer too. That's like a dream come true. Do they only have that in Florida? Why can't we get beer out of our taps in Idaho? Probably because we still need phones and pavement first.:(

I just go over to my other refrig and pull down the tap (that sticks out of the door). Out comes the beer. The real secret is that you must have electricity to keep the beer cold. Spuds ... I think you have been eating too many spuds.

SuperSwede
September 18th, 2007, 01:50 PM
*cough* Corona is not exactly one of my favorites.. But I will check if Negro Modelo is available here..

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I normally drink tap beer. For some reason bottled and can beer has turned against my taste buds. I have tried both the Slovak and Czech beers. These pilsne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner)r beers are very dark, thick and smooth. Guess where the original Budweiser beer was brewed? Budwies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Cesk%C3%A9_Bud%C4%9Bjovice)

I wonder if the water in the Czech Republic is better than the water in Missouri. Anywhere else has to be better. Bud = blah

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I wonder if the water in the Czech Republic is better than the water in Missouri. Anywhere else has to be better. Bud = blah

Corn beer. Boring. I prefer even MGD, or PBR to Bud. Normally I prefer NW American micos, particularly IPAs, good pales, and complex malty beers like Porters or Stouts.

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I just ate an extra large Payday and I'm all sugared out now....:puke:

Just had to try the new smiley. Thanks Robert!

marnold
September 18th, 2007, 02:46 PM
MGD and High Life, though bottled in clear bottles, cannot be skunked. Depending on who you talk to, they either use some special hop extract or in some other way chemically treat the beer so that it cannot skunk.

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
MGD and High Life, though bottled in clear bottles, cannot be skunked. Depending on who you talk to, they either use some special hop extract or in some other way chemically treat the beer so that it cannot skunk.

It's called formaldehyde. :puke:

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Formaldehyde? :puke: !!!