PDA

View Full Version : Blues You Can Use

Tim
February 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM
It seems a few of us fretters have discovered we are using the same book and CD to improve our “blues” playing skills. Thanks to Tremoloman for mentioning it to me, I went out and purchased the book “Blues You Can Use” and CD at B&N. I read the first 4 lessons and played some of these lessons this past weekend. Through a few posts, it was noted that a total of 4 fretters (so far) are learning from the book. The history of the thread can be found under the “Tap, Tap, Tap … is this thing turned on?” started by Warren http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=417.

Anybody else using this book or has in the past, please chime in.

Robert
February 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM
Sounds interesting, tell me more!

r_a_smith3530
February 21st, 2006, 06:15 PM
I too am interested, although is there a bass version???!!! :)

Actually, I'm currently trying to nail down some of Bob Stroger's bass lines from a live session with Otis Rush recorded at Wise Fool's Pub back in '76. 'Dem is Da BLUES! Otis is the real deal. Along with Buddy Guy and Eddie "The Chief" Clearwater, he's one of the last of the original West Side bluesmen.

The CD is a Delmark release, and I highly recommend it for any of you interested in the blues. It's called "Otis Rush - All Your Love I Miss Loving."

Tim
February 21st, 2006, 06:57 PM
Robert - Stay tuned. The fretters are beginning to speak. Hopefully all will contribute whether used the book or not. We newbies can learn by just listening to the older blues players speak their wisdom.

r_a_smith3530
February 21st, 2006, 11:30 PM
It turns out a friend of mine had this book, so I borrowed it. he still has to find the CD for me. Looking at the first lessons, you can jazz them up some by using vibrato and some additional bends. Hmm, there are some cool alternative chord fingerings (Lesson 4) that I think I will enjoy.

r_a_smith3530
February 22nd, 2006, 12:42 AM
Jokingly, I had asked earlier if there was a bass guitar version of this book. Well, what I found, and just ordered off Amazon may be even better. It is called, "101 Blues Patterns For Bass Guitar." I hope to learn some new stuff, especially some of the more advanced turnarounds, intros and endings.

Tim
February 22nd, 2006, 05:23 AM
R_A_,

Looks like your on your way as a bass player to learn some new "blues" licks and tricks. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

ray82609
February 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
I have a lot of books! The only 2 you'll ever need are Blues You Can Use and Matt Smith's Chop Shop for Guitar. Between these 2 books you can learn the how and why of about all of it.
-Ray

warren0728
February 22nd, 2006, 10:56 AM
welcome ray!

i'm not familiar with the Matt Smith's Chop Shop for Guitar....is it an instructional book or a book on the mechanics and workings of guitars?

ww

ray82609
February 22nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
It's an instructional book and cd. It covers a lot of tricks and tips, and theory. I'm not a real believer in the need for classical training and theory to be a good guitar player, but you need some theory to understand how it all works and fits together if you ever want to make the music yours. He doesn't beat theory into you he throws it out there in small understandable chunks. I'm a hard learner and he puts it in a way that even I get it. I've loaned it to at least half a dozen players from beginner to accomplished players and they have all bought their own copy. I think on Amazon.com all of the reviews rave about it.
-Ray

warren0728
February 22nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
sounds great...think i will get a copy

ww

r_a_smith3530
February 23rd, 2006, 06:37 AM
R_A_,

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Yes, I do!

BTW, welcome Ray. Check out the section "The Fret Players," and post a little something about yourself there.

jpfeifer
February 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
Matt Smith is a regular at the Hamer Fan Club Forum when he's not on the road. He seems like a nice guy. That guy can really play.

That orange guitar that he is holding on the front cover of his book "Matt Smith's Chop Shop for Guitar" is the same kind of Hamer guitar that I have.

I should buy his book and check it out. Thanks for the tip.

-- Jim

ted s
June 25th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I am using "Blues you can use" as well.

tremoloman
June 28th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Nice book! I've only used the 1st 10 pages so far, but I've got to get back on it soon. I've been slacking since we've been perfoming gigs so much lately.