PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic VS Electric

pes_laul
September 17th, 2007, 02:48 PM
which do you perfer for mer it depends on the situation:AOK:

kerc
September 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM
My Dean Palomino is basically like an acoustic...It's pretty loud, with a full-depth hollow body, and yet I can still rock out with its three P90 pups. So...I think I don't need to choose.

:D

Only downside is that it's heavy!

Tone2TheBone
September 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I love playing both. Nothing like open tunings on acoustics for a change of pace. I have one acoustic tuned in open G and the other is set for standard tuning. I love the warmth and tone of an acoustic guitar.

Guitar Gal
September 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I have acoustic and electric also. I love the full, rich sound of an acoustic and the simplicity of just playing w/o electronics. However, I do love to play with my electrics and my amps and pedals to generate different sounds. I just play whatever suits my mood at the time I guess.

GG

sunvalleylaw
September 17th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I like and gas for both as well. My early posts indicate I was spending a lot of time learning on my acoustic, then transferring to my eclectric. I was spending time learning some acoustic Neil Young then, and was only a few months old in my guitar obsession. As I have added gear, (like an amph to start), I have spent more time on my electric but still like to go back to my acoustic. Playing acoustically tends to lead me to different songs and styles than my electric. But, I would love to learn some more acoustic blues. There is a Keb Mo' acoustic blues DVD out there that looks interesting. My current acoustic guitar has some fret and intonation issues where the neck joins the body, so that frustrates me a little. Being old enough to remember most of the 70s, acoustic guitar is a nice change of pace. But, since I am concentrating on learning some lead licks, some good bends, and trying to develop a decent vibrato, my electric calls my name. So . . . . . I like both.

marnold
September 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I hated the only acoustic I've ever had. With a passion. It destroyed my love for guitar. It was teh evil. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having one again, but I'm more likely to get a Behringer acoustic sim pedal.

tot_Ou_tard
September 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I was at a guitar store today & decided to try out some acoustics. I was smittem by blues on some of the high end models. After I picked out a pentatotic lead the guitar was still vibrating and beautiful reverb was coming from the sound hole. I held it up towards my ear...amazing.

It really stoked my interest.

I wish I could aford one of those, been digging around on the 'net tonight to see one can approach such beauty for fewer clams.

That said, I love my electrics. Gotta' dig them bends & break-up!

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I was at a guitar store today & decided to try out some acoustics. I was smittem by blues on some of the high end models. After, I picked out a pentatotic lead the guitar was still vibrating and beautiful reverb was coming from the sound hole. I held it up towards my ear...amazing.

It really stoked my interest.

I wish I could aford one of those, been digging around on the 'net tonight to see one can approach such beauty for fewer clams.

That said, I love my electrics. Gotta' dig them bends & break-up!

There is a local shop nearby, where they carry Martins, Alvarez's, Larivees and a bunch of others. Unfortunately, the Martin HD-28 is the one that stokes my interest the most. It sounds just like the really, really expensive D-45 I got to play around with when the Martin reps came to town. Hitting the low E on both of those produces a note that you can just about feel. The highs are really nice too. I love that tone structure.

There is a rosewood Larivee, however, that also has a really nice tone, (not the same as the Martin, but still nice), and has a neck I really agree with. It is less than half the cost of the Martin, so still up there toward a grand, but not the better part of three grand. Someday. The nice alvarez's and lower end Martins in the store just don't quite cut it next to the above two. When I buy a new acoustic, I want it to be a really nice one. 'Til then, I am just going to have a luthier help me out on the one I have and use it. I will probably replace the nut with maybe a bone or fake bone one and maybe even the bridge saddle with bone. Along the way, I will get the fretting issue up near where the neck joins the body addressed., That should warm up the tone and clean up the buzzing. Then it should be fine for a few years When I don't sit there and compare it to the big boys, it sounds plenty nice too. :pancake

tot_Ou_tard
September 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I may just wait until I can afford a decent one.

On the other hand, I am still happy with my $150 electric. Go figger.
Of course, with amps, pedals, & other gear, I have spent a bit more than $150 to get my electric sound.

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I hated the only acoustic I've ever had. With a passion. It destroyed my love for guitar. It was teh evil. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having one again, but I'm more likely to get a Behringer acoustic sim pedal.

I've got one, the Behringer ADI 21, but have yet to do a thorough test on it. Stand by for a report...it will probably happen AFTER the beer test.:beer:

LagrangeCalvert
September 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I've got one, the Behringer ADI 21, but have yet to do a thorough test on it. Stand by for a report...it will probably happen AFTER the beer test.:beer:

Ahh....the good ol beer test. I'm gonna try that tonight at the same time I try the blues open jam test.....but its like :deadhorse: cause the beer test usually gets in the way of the blues guitar test.

pes_laul
September 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Ahh....the good ol beer test. I'm gonna try that tonight at the same time I try the blues open jam test.....but its like :deadhorse: cause the beer test usually gets in the way of the blues guitar test.
you could try the blues open jam test before the beer test:D