PDA

View Full Version : Advice / Feedback needed on Digital recording devices

Algonquin
September 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Good morning folks!

I'm looking for some advice / feedback on what your thoughts are on digital recording devices currently out there.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Roland line of products? I see a few units listed in some members signature gearlist.

Two that have caught my eye are the BR-600, and the Micro BR. Having a built in drum machine is a definate plus.

My intended use would be personal home recording. It's been a long time since I hooked up with folks for Jam sessions, but I've got the bug to be creative and really want to lay down some tracks.

All feed back welcome here folks.... I'm like a sponge right now and really want to soak up some info.

Many thanks in advance! :AOK:

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Unless you HAVE to have it be a portable I'd suggest you stick with computer recording. There is so much more power, options, software etc. that the whole experience is much better. For about the same price as a portable you can get software, interface and even VSTs and end up with a much more versatile recording machine.

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I am planning to dedicate my old laptop (Powerbook Ti from 2001) to that very thing, then if I need more horsepower for editing (garage band or logic runs on the old laptop, but rendering effects takes time) I can transfer it via ethernet to one of my newer machines. The toneport needs only a USB 1.1 connection and that old horse has that.

Algonquin
September 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM
So this hunk of metal that I plug my keyboard into can do more than connect to the internet? :thwap:

I'll go back and do my homework by reviewing the previous threads, but if anyone wants to speak on their likes / dislikes of what they use... I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

ted s
September 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I bought the Boss micro BR last year. I returned inside 2 weeks. Not to say that it was a bad unit, on the contrary, a very powerful tool loaded with options.
The size was what attracted me at first but it was the size that changed my mind as well. Its compactness lends itself to not so user friendly if you're a knob turner. Since then I bought an iMac and have used that (not much though).
Currently I am trying to figure out the full capabilities of my Digitech jamman.

tunghaichuan
September 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Here's a couple of free/low cost audio recording software programs for Windoze:

Kristal Audio Engine (http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/)

Reaper (http://reaper.fm/download.php)

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)

These can use plug ins for various FX. There are lots of free ones:

Free Plugins (http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/software.php/id/7037/audio/Plug-ins/)

Free drum machine:

Hammerhead (http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/introduction.shtml)

tung

So this hunk of metal that I plug my keyboard into can do more than connect to the internet? :thwap:

I'll go back and do my homework by reviewing the previous threads, but if anyone wants to speak on their likes / dislikes of what they use... I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

Algonquin
September 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I've seen some threads with folks using a Line6 Toneport. Is this still an acceptable interface, or is it going the way of the doodoo with newer equipment being released. It doesn't seem overly expensive - under $200.

Regards,

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I've seen some threads with folks using a Line6 Toneport. Is this still an acceptable interface, or is it going the way of the doodoo with newer equipment being released. It doesn't seem overly expensive - under $200.

Regards,
Toneport is a real good computer interface. Using the XLR and 1/4" inputs on the UX2 you have plenty of input options. However, you don't get midi functions. Balancing that out the unit does come with recording software.

scorona
September 18th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I purchased a BR-600 earlier this year, prior to the birth of our baby, thinking that I actually might have time to learn to use it after the baby was born. I've only spent a couple of hours with it, but I think it is a very versatile recorder. I was impressed with the recording quality. The onboard mics are very good for recording acoustic. The built-in drum machine is very intuitive as well. There are many built-in guitar effects to choose from, it even has bass simulators. Uses CompactFlash and has a USB interface to move files to/from your computer. I found a fairly indepth review here if you are interested...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90041&highlight=BR-600&page=2

Algonquin
September 18th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Of course I'm interested... going to read it right now. I found some interesting links of the Toneport on YouTube as well. One user gives a fairly detailed intro to the units capabilites... it looks promising for sure!

Beauty Eh!
(The Canuck in me)

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Toneport is a real good computer interface. Using the XLR and 1/4" inputs on the UX2 you have plenty of input options. However, you don't get midi functions. Balancing that out the unit does come with recording software.

It is the way I am planning on going. A good interface from the reviews I have read and the recordings I have heard.

helliott
September 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I have a BR-1200, which I like a whole lot. I don't have experience or knowledge about computer interface, so can't really comment on what's better, although I've worked with a few people using straight-to-the-PC stuff and overall like the sound I get with the Boss better. It may be largely because I tend to mic my amps and run them through the Boss, which can give pretty killer tone. I could also mic the amps into my computer, I suppose, but they fill a room downstairs and the computer is upstairs.
Bottom line, it's a matter of taste. I intend to keep using my Boss and also learn computer interface and then make a direct comparison.
If you want to see what tones and toys the Roland/Boss has, check out some of the stuff I've posted in the member clips section.
Good luck in your research and decision.

sunvalleylaw
September 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM
It may be largely because I tend to mic my amps and run them through the Boss, which can give pretty killer tone. I could also mic the amps into my computer, I suppose, but they fill a room downstairs and the computer is upstairs.

Helliot, your sound is really good and I am sure the Boss is great. Just for consideration of options, I want to share what I am thinking. I want to mic my amph too, at least some of the time. A few of the guys here that post music that I really like the sound of mic their stuff. StingX is one. Good to know that you do too. I plan to hook up that Toneport with a mic via the XLR and feed that into my oldlaptop. Then, I can transfer that recording over to the bigger machine and work with it. Also, a lot of the time (most, actually), I have been keeping my amph and set up in the same room where our new desktop will be. Then I can go direct to the machine I will be editing on most of the time. Your way obviously can accomplish the same thing. But, since I have this old laptop that should work for the purpose, might as well use it I suppose. Can't get nuthin for it at this point. :)

Algonquin
September 19th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Good stuff here Gents!

Helliot, the BR1200 looks great, but I don't see it listed anymore. I take it this is one of the 'Higher End' multi trackers Roland had out. As for miking my amps, i hadn't even considered that right now.

SunValleyLaw (and others), have you found decent drum track software that you'll go with?

I guess one of my main objectives here is to get something that is easy to use. If it takes hours to program, it probably isn't for me.

Spudman
September 19th, 2007, 07:23 AM
SunValleyLaw (and others), have you found decent drum track software that you'll go with?

I guess one of my main objectives here is to get something that is easy to use. If it takes hours to program, it probably isn't for me.

Then if you still plan to go with a stand alone portable stay away from the Zoom MRS. It's difficult to work with the on board rhythms in those units. I have the MRS1044.

sunvalleylaw
September 19th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I am still researching drum software. Garageband has some, and a new version is out that may have more. I have not looked. The one I have not found yet is a good blues shuffle or two or three. All I need to do is find the track on line somewhere and buy it if I have to, then import it into garageband, or into my looper pedal for practice with it. The drum software Robert posted about at the link below looks pretty cool and very easy to use. I am with you, I do not want to have to know a bunch of code or programming either. I like a good GUI so that I can get into something without using instructions. Looking at that software, I may get it too. But given what Garageband has in it already, and the fact I only really want in addition a shuffle right now, it may be overkill.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3985&highlight=drum+software

Algonquin
September 19th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Well I think the TonePort may be the way for me to get my feet wet in home PC recording. Not overly expensive, and I've found some great sound clips members have graciously posted here.

Thanks for all your responses.

Spudman
September 19th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Great then. Just send the appropriate funds to all those listed below.:D

I'm kidding. Glad that we could help you decide.:AOK:

Algonquin
September 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Great then. Just send the appropriate funds to all those listed below.:D

I'm kidding. Glad that we could help you decide.:AOK:

Spudman... The cheques are in the mail!

I called my local Geetar shop to put a Toneport away for me, and I picked it up on the way home from work yesterday.

I went with the UX1. I can't see needing the 'Phantom Power' for mikes, and the inputs it has should be fine for me.

I had time to load the software and connect the unit, but haven't had time to review the Ableton recording software. It looks like a bit of reading before I can record a track down to disk.

Thanks again all...

Ain't spending money FUN! :AOK:

Robert
September 20th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I have the UX1 as well, good unit. Gearbox is FUN ! :)

Oh, and send me one of them cheques too... :beer:

Lev
September 21st, 2007, 07:06 AM
This looks like alot of fun for drum and bass sounds - quite a bit of bang for buck too!

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.video&ID=af5ac346ba9f0b6422c2f6c0f9d665d0

pressthe6
December 12th, 2007, 11:30 AM
just got the ux2 teleport on ebay for $135. can't refuse that I guess.

wasn't there a sticky a while back with all the ABCs of home recording. am I losing it? was it on a different site or something?