PDA

View Full Version : Nuts!

navvid
September 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM
hey guys. my number one needs a new nut and i am trying to decide what material to use. my first inclination was bone, but one of my info sources recommended graphite, and since i don't have the slotting files (or the money to buy a set right now) and the labor is expensive if you want a skilled craftsman to cut it for you, i bought a peavy graphite replacement. since then i found an old contact that is very skilled, and will slot one for me for $40, and his well informed take is that he prefers ivory above all, and bone second. from my research this is what i have found:

1. bone
advantages: very hard so its durable, bright in tone, good sustain, tried and true nut of choice for many mojo slingers
disadvantages: hardness can be unforgiving when bending low on neck (cause catching effect), very bright tone

2. ivory
advantages: softer than bone but still hard and durable, a little less bright than bone (softness causes damping) but still bright, good sustain (but again less than bone due to damping), i have been told that it has the best feel when bending low on the neck as it has a very slippery feel (according to my friend, even better than graphite)
disadvantages: very expensive, hard to get, less harmonics than bone (again softness), if you're not buying fossilized mammoth ivory you are violating international law and apparently are a horrible person

3. graphite
advantages: inexpensive and easy to get, good durability, darker tone, slippery so less binding and string breakage (more forgiving)
disadvantages: less sustain, darker tone, less harmonics

4. tusq (i only recently became aware of this stuff and know very little)
advantages: self lubricating, good durability, seems to be preferred by many contemporary high end manufacturers, i have heard good things in general about these (among others that SRV used them, can anyone confirm?)
disadvantages:?????? it is a composite resin, so i imagine it will exhibit less harmonics and be less brightness than bone or ivory, though it is supposedly synthetic ivory (which i have heard is just bone powder suspended in a resin)

5. petroleum distillates (various plastics)
not even a consideration for any of my ladies

6. saber toothed tiger fang (still working on getting the blank)

7. other suggestions/opinions?

nrn

pes_laul
September 18th, 2007, 03:43 PM
you know on my charvel i never really had to change it (although after 15 years its starting to wear out) but yeah have you tried them on any different guitar?

Spudman
September 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM
If you want to hear that guitar like never before then replace the nut with an Earvana nut. Search the forum for links in info.

navvid
September 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM
actually i ended up finding a very experienced local luthier by the name of George Peacock of Peacock Stringed Instruments, who incidentally makes exquisite guitars (currently mostly nylon string acoustics since thats what appears to pay his bills), who made me a very reasonable deal on an ivory blank. more than reasonable, especially considering i am getting a custom hand cut and fitted nut done by a skilled craftsman whose talents i have been able to personally verify. there are some very, very famous and reputable guitar repairmen i will not name out of respect, that i have seen turn out some so so work, who charge two or three times what he charged me for labor alone on a custom bone nut. this guy i trust, and my trust don't come easy when it comes to my number one lady.