PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix - Rest In Peace

Robert
September 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Jimi Hendrix (November 27, 1942 – September 18, 1970)

Just wanted to take a moment to remember him. He is the biggest source of inspiration for me, as far as guitar playing goes.

We miss you, Jimi.

You left way too soon.

Tone2TheBone
September 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM
He is for me too. The other day I dreamt I met him. In my dream he was playing at Monterey and I was backstage with him and a bunch of people. I remember him being so funny to be around. In real life I have always liked his funny sense of humor when he'd say silly things during concerts. Kinda like cracking his own little inside jokes to himself. In my dream there was a large woman that we were talking with and she went on and on saying how sweet natured he was and that everyone loved him for that. I remember feeling good in my dream when I woke up. I wished that I could have met him in real life. I was born 10 years too late.

Guitar Gal
September 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM
WOW....hard to believe 37 years have gone by. I was just a wee lass in 1970 and had no idea who Jimi was.....but I'm sure I listened to his music.

Thanks for the reminder about Jimi, Robert. He was indeed one of a kind and certainly left us way too soon.

GG

pes_laul
September 18th, 2007, 06:54 PM
RIP Dude your were a inspiration to musicians and guitarists everywhere he was rocking out before i was even born

Jimi75
September 20th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Wow! It's great that you made this thread Robert. I was thinking of Jimi in the morning of 18.09.07.

My playing would be completely different hadn't I experienced the greatness of Jimi's talent, hadn't my brother and my brother in law (R.I.P.) played Jimi's music to me and explained the phenomena of Jimi to me when I was a noob and my friends were telling me that HENDRIX is lame and you can barely listen to his music!!!

It's some couple years ago that I visited his gravesite in Seattle. I was lucky to see it in its original state, before his stepsister went crazy and built this huge monument at the gravesite.

I have made a grave rubbing of his tombstone which hangs framed on the wall of the Entrée in our appartment. On 18.09.07 I put a red rose benath it for some couple days every year.

R_of_G
September 20th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Spent the day, as I do most years on this day, listening to nothing but Jimi. As usual, once I got to the 1969 jams with Larry Young I got very sad thinking about how much we all missed because of Jimi's passing. Those jams really illustrate one of the possible new directions open to Jimi with jazz players. Given that around the time of his death, Miles was trying to make arrangements to play with Jimi, one can only dream of what that would have sounded like. The guy was so far ahead of his time people are still trying to catch up to him.

stingx
September 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Amazing guitarist. I was only 3 when he died. I wish I was born 15 years earlier. I missed being able to see so many great musicians from that era.

R.I.P. Jimi

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music." - Jimi Hendrix

Robert
September 20th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Jimi, that is fantastic to hear what you do every year on that date. Thanks for sharing that.

1969 jams with Larry Young? Tell me more, never heard of this.

R_of_G
September 20th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Jimi, that is fantastic to hear what you do every year on that date. Thanks for sharing that.

1969 jams with Larry Young? Tell me more, never heard of this.

I have similar "tribute" listening days to mark the passing of George Harrison, John Lennon, and Jerry Garcia.

As far as the recordings of the sessions with Larry Young, all I know for sure is that they are from 1969 at The Record Plant [in Sausalito, CA], and that Mitch Mitchell is playing drums [unsure who the bass player is, though it sounds like it is likely Billy Cox]. The session features 10 fairly long instrumental jams mostly in Young's modal jazz style, to which Jimi adapts with ease. To me it always sounds like what would have been the next logical step in Jimi's career [sessions with "fusion" jazz artists]. From the sound of these jams, it'd have been a natural move for him to make had he not died so young.