PDA

View Full Version : Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio Pups in the Same Guitar

marnold
September 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Would there be any problems with having both Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio pickups in the same guitar? The only issue I could see would be with them being in phase with each other, which would simply require a switching of the leads.

The reason I ask is because I've got plans for my Floyd. I mentioned elsewhere that I was planning on replacing the single coils with Dimarzio Area 61s. While I don't feel a great need to swap out the humbucker, I was considering swapping it out for a Seymour Duncan George Lynch Screamin' Demon. My reasoning is that right now my Fender and my Floyd have very similar sounding humbuckers. The Screamin' Demon, despite what it's name might imply, is a brighter and somewhat lower output pickup. I think it's rated at 10K impedance. That would match somewhat better with the single coils as well as be better for clean passages. I'm also a huge Lynch fan, as my avatar would indicate. It would also offer some differentiation with my Fender.

Thoughts?

duhvoodooman
September 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Shouldn't be any problem. Just keep in mind that Duncan and DiMarzio use different wire color conventions. When I had the Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker installed in my LP Standard (back before I learned to sodler!), the shop I brought it to wired it like a DiMarzio and I ended up with a single coil! :thwap:

Robert
September 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I don't think that would be any problemo, I agree with seƱor Voodoo Dude. I have tried lots of different brand combinations in some of my guitars with success, but the possibly different color conventions may indeed make you want to slap your forehead as indicated.

Spudman
September 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Would there be any problems with having both Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio pickups in the same guitar?

Yes. It could be a problem if you don't have any money for more pickups because what is going to happen when you have them in the same guitar is that it will be very obvious which brand sounds better. Then you are going to want to take the other one out and buy another to replace it.
This is why I don't buy any more of (insert brand here) pickups. I won't say how I think you'll lean, but just do it and see what you think.

Tone2TheBone
September 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I use both brands X & Y and couldn't be happier. Both are great.

Ascension
November 26th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I have a pair of Dimarzio Blue Velvets and a Duncan Crazy 8 in my MG 100 USA Washburn and it sounds GREAT! No problems other than the wiring color codes are different so phase can be an issue.

LagrangeCalvert
November 30th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Well....The other problem you could have is if you play a B flat minor with both a SD and a Marzio on......you guitar will implode creating a musical black hole.....

That was how rap was invented......

:D :D

marnold
November 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Well....The other problem you could have is if you play a B flat minor with both a SD and a Marzio on......you guitar will implode creating a musical black hole.....
A simple solution is to transpose everything into A sharp minor, thus avoiding the conundrum.

Plus I'm pretty sure that the invention of rap had nothing to do with guitars.