PDA

View Full Version : Speaking Of Blues Lessons...

r_a_smith3530
February 22nd, 2006, 12:58 AM
If you haven't picked it up yet, head on down to your local Borders or B&N and pick up the current copy of Guitar One magazine. It has Billy Gibbons on the cover and a way cool blues lesson with the Texas Master on the inside. A CD-ROM is included, and on it are Gibbons' lesson, plus others. Well worth the coin!

warren0728
February 22nd, 2006, 06:32 AM
+1 on the latest Guitar One magazine...picked it up a couple of weeks ago....lots of cool blues stuff this issue.

ww

Tim
February 22nd, 2006, 09:24 AM
I'll get tonight on the way home.

Tone2TheBone
February 22nd, 2006, 09:44 AM
Those CDs are awesome. Technology is great these days. I really dig the Reverend's Gretsch. Was he playing through the Crate V series amp in the background? Man those amps have come A LONG WAY.

r_a_smith3530
February 22nd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Those CDs are awesome. Technology is great these days. I really dig the Reverend's Gretsch. Was he playing through the Crate V series amp in the background? Man those amps have come A LONG WAY.

Yeah, Crate's V Series amps are pretty righteous. Crate has come a long way in recent years. There was a time when you could not have given me a Crate amp, but as you can see from my sig, today I own one.

Spudman
February 22nd, 2006, 11:15 PM
I love my Crate Vintage Club. It's a great amp. I've loaned it out for back-line use at a club I used to engineer at and everyone always commented that they liked it. When the vintage club series came out they won a bunch of awards and got some great people to endorse them as well. Besides myself Mark Knopfler comes to mind. I think it is a class AB amp and all tube of course. My only complaint is that it goes through tubes rather quickly. Even still, it's a keeper.

I also have a really cool Billy Gibbons story I may tell some time. It is from the only time that I have met him...

Tone2TheBone
February 23rd, 2006, 09:59 AM
Spud - Tell us!

My first store bought amp was one of the original Crate amps which was back sometime in the late 70s. Probably like '78 or '79. They were made like a wooden "crate". Single 12 inch speaker and 60 LOUD watts. I've seen some like it at a local used dealer in town. Had a smokin' "distortion" sound for its time. All solid state. I burned it up playing it very loudly over the years that I did have it. It was a cool little amp. I remember tossing it in the trunk of my car along with a case of bottled Budweiser as I drove to different friend's houses to jam.

warren0728
February 23rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
I also have a really cool Billy Gibbons story I may tell some time. It is from the only time that I have met him...
i would love to here that story....maybe we should start a thread..."brushes with greatness"

ww