PDA

View Full Version : Your biggest influence as a musician

pes_laul
September 19th, 2007, 05:35 PM
My biggest inspiration was the offspring (kicking it oldschool) john mayer and Stevie ray vaughn clapton was always cool too though i never really got into page or hendrix (i have one of hendrix's albums though):Dude:

kerc
September 19th, 2007, 07:05 PM
The Edge, Buddy Guy, Hendrix. And it doesn't show in my playing! Hahaha...well actually, some people have found the Guy influence when I'm playing blues--a VERY big compliment!

t_ross33
September 19th, 2007, 07:36 PM
All of my FretNet brothers and sisters. Can't ya just feel the LUV :beer:

:R

Seriously. Most of the time I'm just trying to make some noise that somewhat resembles music.

Trev

Spudman
September 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Tom Connell. He was the valedictorian at my high school and we were pals. He was a very good guitar player for being so young and he showed me some things on guitar that really got me started on the right foot and I still use them today. He was also the first guy to go "hey, listen to this band" which was Boston, Van Halen, Kenny Loggins, Roy Buchanan. He'd go "listen to this lick" and play the record a few times to let me hear the lick and then he'd play it. I'll never forget.

sunvalleylaw
September 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM
All of my FretNet brothers and sisters. Can't ya just feel the LUV :beer:

:R

Seriously. Most of the time I'm just trying to make some noise that somewhat resembles music.

Trev

My answer too so far. Many fretters here have really helped me to get started. Robert of course. He taught me my first blues shuffle, my first AC/DC, some cool movable chords, about triads, helped me figure out scales, and a whole lot more. Spudman has helped a lot with personal encouragement and coaching. We Idaho guys have to stick together. Oldguy has given me some personal help too. Thanks guys!

Oldguy, Spudman, Zeusse, Superswede, DVM, Justa, StingX, Lev, Jimi75, Frank Axtell and Jim Pfeiffer, heck anyone that posts music here (I know I am leaving some out) are big influences. I have a playlist on my iPod called The Fret and I listen to it a lot. Oldguy's Shuffle Blues in A that he, Spud, Zeusse, and DVM (did I leave anyone out?) jammed on is probably top of the list right now as am focusing on Blues in A with lead in Am. Four styles of Blues in A to listen to and try to copy. How great is that! Old school blues artists like Albert King, B.B. King, etc. are probably top of the list for commercial influence with SRV in there too, but I can't do any of his stuff yet. Can't really do those other guys including the fretters either, but I try. :) Also I am trying to copy some John Mayer, and like his tone, especially the Trio tone and try to get my guitar to sound like that.

Last year, when I joined, I would have said Neil Young, because I was working hard on my first songs out of a book that was not picked by my instructor and "Harvest" was it.

Thanks guys for all the help! Call me if you are SV. My offer to buy the first pitcher is still open! :beer:

Justaguyin_nc
September 19th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Would have to agree.. with T Ross and sunvalleylaw... I am influenced by the forums.. and listening to those that can play and those learning and passing on information they learn.. I am soooo lucky to find forums such at these and with youtube soundclick, box.net... and those offering help... applause to all and a thank you...
:beer:

R_of_G
September 20th, 2007, 05:59 AM
My biggest influence towards playing music in the first place would have to be Miles Davis. As far as influences to pick up the guitar as my instrument, it would have to start with George Harrison. Some players that are a huge influence on the way I actually play the instrument are Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, Johnny Ramone, Jonny Greenwood, and Jerry Garcia.

Lev
September 20th, 2007, 06:38 AM
very well said sunvalleylaw!! :beer:

you gotta take inspiration from everywhere but a small list (by no menas a complete list) of my influences:

Clapton, Brian May, The Edge, BB King, Gary Moore, John Sykes, Leo Kottke, David Gilmour, Van Halen, Nuno Bettencourt, Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, Vai, Satriani, Slash, Angus Young, The Eagles, SRV, John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa, Tommy Emmanuel, Guthrie Govan.

Robert
September 20th, 2007, 07:17 AM
My biggest inspiration nowadays is my daughter. She is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Spudman
September 20th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Just a small reminder:
The thread says "influence" - singular form. Lets try to keep this to just one or two and not turn it into a list thread. It would be great to hear about that special person that made a big difference for you.

PS. Thanks SVL. You inspire me too.:beer:

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Biggest and single influence has to be Jimmy Page because I wouldn't be playing guitar if it wasn't for him and Led Zeppelin. Seeing photos of him with his Les Pauls slung way low wearing crazy dragon outfits made me want to RAWK!

Lev
September 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Just a small reminder:
The thread says "influence" - singular form. Lets try to keep this to just one or two and not turn it into a list thread. It would be great to hear about that special person that made a big difference for you.

PS. Thanks SVL. You inspire me too.:beer:

oops sorry, ok then the person that inspired me to get back into playing guitar in a meaningful way is John Mayer (..not to everyones taste I know but his playing just connected with me in way that no other guiatsrist did). I know he's heavily influenecd by SRV and Hendrix and critics will say that he's just a wanna be Pop star imitating SRV but I could listen to him play guitar all day long!

Spudman
September 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM
oops sorry, ok then the person that inspired me to get back into playing guitar in a meaningful way is John Mayer (..not to everyones taste I know but his playing just connected with me in way that no other guiatsrist did). I know he's heavily influenecd by SRV and Hendrix and critics will say that he's just a wanna be Pop star imitating SRV but I could listen to him play guitar all day long!

No worries mate. There are plenty of John Mayer appreciators around here. I like him a lot too. Tasteful and to the point he is, arrrgh. (sorry, pirate day is still with me):)

duhvoodooman
September 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Clapton first (Bluesbreakers & Cream) and SRV later.

sunvalleylaw
September 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
No worries mate. There are plenty of John Mayer appreciators around here. I like him a lot too. Tasteful and to the point he is, arrrgh. (sorry, pirate day is still with me):)

As I have told Spud other times, and as I alluded to above, John (at least his Trio and Continuum work) is my biggest influence right now as far as developing a sound. SRV after that, and B.B. Makes sense as John is apparently influenced by SRV/Hendrix. What is hopefully starting to show in my playing comes from my list of fretters above.

Justaguyin_nc
September 20th, 2007, 11:01 AM
All Bull aside... I am influenced by many music stars.. many many..

But truthfully... a few years back when I wanted to pick this stuff up and learn it and get G.A.S. to buy all this crazy stuff.. I found dolphinstreet. I seen some fellar struming a Squier 51 thru a Vox amp, making it seem possible to attain a great sound with limited funds... and from then on I started to really be influenced by what he did and the places he led me.. and that my friends is the honest truth.

Robert
September 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Wow Justa... I am greatly humbled....! (no smiley yet for that)

marnold
September 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
For me it was hearing my uncle play all of these songs on an acoustic. Most of them were hippie-esque kind of songs but it made me want to take up guitar. Too bad the acoustic I first had sucked all the fun out of it. My first influence from a well-known musician was George Lynch. He always seemed to bring a certain something to his playing that I didn't find in the other 80s guitar heroes.

kiteman
September 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM
My biggest influence were the rock artists of the 70s. They flat rock!

tunghaichuan
September 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
I can point to a few milestones in my development as a musician:

Tony Iommi made me want to play guitar, David Gilmour's sound made me a life-long strat style guitar addict. David Lindley introduced me to world music, and his wacky off beat humor continues to inspire me. Buckethead forever changed the way I wanted to hear guitar. Webb Wilder, Steve Earle, and Lyle Lovett made it okay for me to like country music :D

There are lots more influences, but those are the major ones.

tung

just strum
September 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Keeping it simple, but not complete:

The Beatles - their sound caused me to discover music.

and

Everyone that talks and/or plays guitar (that includes all of you)

sunvalleylaw
September 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM
My answer too so far. Many fretters here have really helped me to get started. Robert of course. . . . Thanks guys! . . .

Oldguy's Shuffle Blues in A that he, Spud, Zeusse, and DVM (did I leave anyone out?) jammed on is probably top of the list right now as am focusing on Blues in A with lead in Am. Four styles of Blues in A to listen to and try to copy. How great is that! . . . .

Thanks guys for all the help! Call me if you are SV. My offer to buy the first pitcher is still open! :beer:

I was listening to the Shuffle Blues in A that I talk about above and noted a grievious error. I was re-reading the thread where the track and leads were posted (here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1834)
I had thought the solos were as I listed above. But, I omitted SuperSwede! Spud, Swede, Zeusse, and DVM are the soloists on that recording, in that order I believe. I still hold it is very, very influential to me, along with all the rest here! Thanks SuperSwede, and sorry for leaving you out the first time regarding this important piece to me. :) :beer:

stingx
September 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
My father was my biggest influence. He never yelled at me no matter how much noise I made on the guitar. He encouraged me to play and he bought me my first professional grade guitar when he saw that I wasn't going through a passing phase and actually exhibited musicality.

I actually started out playing cornet in the school band - all throughout grammar school. I made the switch to guitar when I heard The Wall. I was floored and I never saw that frigging horn again :rotflmao:

SuperSwede
September 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I was listening to the Shuffle Blues in A that I talk about above and noted a grievious error. I was re-reading the thread where the track and leads were posted (here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1834)
I had thought the solos were as I listed above. But, I omitted SuperSwede! Spud, Swede, Zeusse, and DVM are the soloists on that recording, in that order I believe. I still hold it is very, very influential to me, along with all the rest here! Thanks SuperSwede, and sorry for leaving you out the first time regarding this important piece to me. :) :beer:

Ah.. That old recording! Ah well you are forgiven. :AOK:

The Boss
July 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan, without a doubt.

Childbride
July 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
my husband. i started buying him guitars in 06, and he kept trying to get me to play. he would actually download chords/tabs of my favorite songs, get home before me, and then play them when i got home.

he got me when he taught me a song from a movie i was really into. i fell in love [with the instrument, i was obviously already in love with him], and we've been in this lovely dance ever since. best dance i've ever danced, and i love him for it every day. :D

Rocket
July 18th, 2008, 11:46 PM
...he got me when he taught me a song from a movie i was really into. i fell in love [with the instrument, i was obviously already in love with him], and we've been in this lovely dance ever since. best dance i've ever danced, and i love him for it every day. :D
Ack!

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 12:30 AM
my husband. i started buying him guitars in 06, and he kept trying to get me to play. he would actually download chords/tabs of my favorite songs, get home before me, and then play them when i got home.

he got me when he taught me a song from a movie i was really into. i fell in love [with the instrument, i was obviously already in love with him], and we've been in this lovely dance ever since. best dance i've ever danced, and i love him for it every day. :D

Oh geez, do we have to be subjected to this???

Remember CB, I owe you one from the comment at the other forum.

street music
July 19th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Remember gang, CB just bought Shiner this new toy and now guess who's turn it is to be recieving the next gift. Butter him up CB, he's too busy in the recording end of the business to know what you are really after. You know that saying, LOVE IS BLIND.:thwap:

dws
July 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Allmans, Clapton, Hendrix, Young.

luvmyshiner
July 19th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Heh, heh, finally I inspired a beautiful woman to do something other than become a lesbian.:D

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Remember gang, CB just bought Shiner this new toy and now guess who's turn it is to be recieving the next gift. Butter him up CB, he's too busy in the recording end of the business to know what you are really after. You know that saying, LOVE IS BLIND.:thwap:

Look at that, Street has a active scorecard going. So Street, how do you see the scoring up to this point?

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Heh, heh, finally I inspired a beautiful woman to do something other than become a lesbian.:D

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Or so you assume.

Childbride
July 19th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Oh geez, do we have to be subjected to this???

Remember CB, I owe you one from the comment at the other forum.

:rolleyes: what comment?

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 05:47 PM
:rolleyes: what comment?

So coy.

Childbride
July 19th, 2008, 05:49 PM
i'm a virgo. so sue me. :D

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 06:01 PM
i'm a virgo. so sue me. :D

I think that is

"I'm a lawyer, so sue me before I do it for you"

street music
July 20th, 2008, 05:03 AM
The way I see it CB is 2-up on Shiner and moving at a fast pace. I can see a early retirement in the near future.

luvmyshiner
July 20th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Hey wait a minute, lets not forget the Rondo Strat I gave her awhile back.:beer:

warren0728
July 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM

:puke: :rotflmao: :poke:

just sayin'....

ww