PDA

View Full Version : Slide vs shred

Lev
September 20th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I've just been listening to Joe Bonamassa Sloe Gin and it came to my mind that I don't think I've ever heard another guitarist with such killer technique both with and without a slide. Most guitarists tend to concentrate on one or the other but I'm really struggling to think of too many that can play both to such a high level. Joe Walsh maybe? The Karate Kid guy from Crossroads? :rotflmao:

R_of_G
September 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Let's add Derek Trucks to that list.

Spudman
September 20th, 2007, 10:13 AM
The Karate Kid guy from Crossroads? :rotflmao:

That was Ry Cooder playing those parts.

duhvoodooman
September 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM
That was Ry Cooder playing those parts.
Except for Eugene's final "winning" solo. That was Steve Vai. Cooder did all the slide stuff.

Spudman
September 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Brett Garsed http://www.brettgarsed.com/audio/audio.php and Sonny Landreth come to my mind as other great dual players.

Robert
September 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Sonny Landreth, yahhhhh mon ! :AOK:

duhvoodooman
September 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I've just been listening to Joe Bonamassa Sloe Gin and it came to my mind that I don't think I've ever heard another guitarist with such killer technique both with and without a slide.
Funny you should mention that! I was just listening to Bonamassa's Blues Deluxe CD a couple of days ago, and was struck by exactly that same thought! This is the only one of his CD's I currently own, and I'd never heard him play slide before buying it. His slide tone and technique are fabulous! :Dude:

Tone2TheBone
September 20th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Sonny Landreth is great.

Spudman
September 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Jorma Kaukonen is another great slide player and picker. I got to experience him very slowly peeling the skin from my face with his steel guitar and Mesa Boogie right up front and personal at the club I worked at. Very smooth and silky player.

Who?
Along with the other members of The Jefferson Airplane, Jorma is a 1996 inductee in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Remember Hot Tuna?

Justaguyin_nc
September 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Let's add Derek Trucks to that list.

Who no doubt was partly inspired by Duane Allman..slide.. which references another song that comes to "my" mind when someone mentions slide.. song hated by most..loved by all.. Freebird... dunno why.. it's just that little slide in there that is so cool to me..
:Dude:

pes_laul
September 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM
hmmmm i dont remember hes name (roger waters maybe?) but the one dude from pink floyd (help me out here:D)

Robert
September 20th, 2007, 07:53 PM
David Gilmour.

tot_Ou_tard
September 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Jorma Kaukonen is another great slide player and picker. I got to experience him very slowly peeling the skin from my face with his steel guitar and Mesa Boogie right up front and personal at the club I worked at. Very smooth and silky player.

Who?
Along with the other members of The Jefferson Airplane, Jorma is a 1996 inductee in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Remember Hot Tuna?
Hot Tuna is still around.

I love Jorma & Hot Tuna. I saw Jorma play his acoustic live in a very small club. Killer!!!