PDA

View Full Version : Jazz?

SuperSwede
February 22nd, 2006, 06:39 AM
http://cti.itc.virginia.edu/~skd9r/photos/0011.jpg

Do you want to be as cool lookin´as this dude? If so please check out my "fretless jazz" background available here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=492694

It is one of my old midi recordings (from 97 or something ;) ) that I edited to become something like a backing track, but I kept the intro saxophone part so you would get a "feel" for the song. It was originally recorded on my Korg synth so the instruments are not quite the same in Garageband. But it sounds rather nice, and is pretty useful for jazz-scales practice! I hope that someone here can find a use for it, and hopefully will have a nice time with it as well!

//SS (no not the Gestapo)

Justaguyin_nc
February 23rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Wow nice backing.... Thanks Swede... BTW, really liked the feeling in the "LoveSong" to... applause..

SuperSwede
February 24th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Thank your dear ;)

I am looking in my archives and are trying to convert old midi songs to modern instruments. Its very fun to listen to these old "recordings" :)

Justaguyin_nc
February 24th, 2006, 10:30 AM
:eek: Ummm your welcome :rolleyes: find more of these jazz midi's as you look.. and don't forget sharing is the best feeling one can have... ;)

Tim
February 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I tried to download it, but was not allowed. Today's jazz is just about all I listen to except any CDs that I own.

SuperSwede
February 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Try the Hi Fi stream, I think MP3 downloads is for soundclick members only

Justaguyin_nc
February 24th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Hey Swede, Savefile.com can give a direct link with no member signup needed ... I mean for those downloading...

Tim
February 24th, 2006, 01:27 PM
That dude in the above photo would look more sophisticated with a Spanish guitar in his hands. If you notice in the photo, both of his hands are in position for playing arpeggio guitar.

Super Swede, did you digitally alter this photo from it original format?

SuperSwede
February 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM
No I stole it as it is somewhere ;)

Tim
February 24th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Man what a coincidence?

Justaguyin_nc
February 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I just enjoy Jazz like this so much..can get lost in it... Here is my problem trying to play though... I can run scales with these and kinda flatten all strings to make chord like sounds or just match fingers to a few of the scale notes to I guess create a chord ? but to figure how to throw a jazz chord in and then run into single note playing... whew... My mind hurts trying to swing them both together... Like this sounds good to me with a C blues scale or minor pentatonic played softly with thumb and fingers.. But I can feel it needs a chord or two thrown in with it.. Besides flatting all and sliding them or creating a little chord structure from the notes in that scale I guess I have to start learning the real chord structures much lower down the neck.. or is that just it.. create from the notes in that scale to anything that sounds halfway decent to your ear?

SuperSwede
February 25th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Perhaps this site can give you a few ideas on your jazz journey?
http://chordguide.com/guitar/chords.asp

Justaguyin_nc
February 25th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks Swede...they all help... I been using this site: http://www.apassion4jazz.net/strings.html to figure the chords... but it's more the transition from playing chords and then finding the right notes going back to scales I am having troubles I guess.. I assume thats what creative phrasing is all about huh....

SuperSwede
February 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I wish that I had a video camera, I have a few useful licks with chords that I could show you. I dont even have a web cam (and the quality on those are probably too low anyway)... Perhaps Robert can record something when he gets home to Canada.

Justaguyin_nc
March 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Well, I can always hear some of your chord licks then? ;)

Anyways..I get lost after about a minute with this Jazz one... here is a minute clip then... New tele using both new VNP pickups and Cyber-Champ Clean Tweed with some Spring reverb and long decay... Hopefully will update someday with some chord structure... as I learn and listen along...
:R

SuperSwede
March 6th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I can record something later Justa...
Really good sound on your new VNP pickups!

Tim
March 6th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Justaguy - Great jazz soloing. I believe it was a little longer than 1 minute though. More like 2:26 minutes. I have read else where that in order to really get that jazzy tone you should turn down the treble on the amp. Also to boost the mids and bass helps to obtain that jazzy sound.

Did you write down your solo or did you play on the fly? I would like to see the tab for the first 60 seconds. I have been studying from the book “Blues You Can Use” The book concentrates on the “blues” scale and also teaches the 5 patterns. I am trying to figure out if I am suppose to play across all 6 strings or stick with just 2 or 3 for soloing. Your tune sounds like you are staying with just 2 or 3 string but playing across 2 or more patterns.

Any help you can provide would help me in moving forward on my studies. It would most likely help other Fretters also.

Justaguyin_nc
March 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks Swede, Tim...

Tim, I meant my clip was a minute...:) The fretless jazz is much longer and I more or less did the minute to get something added to this so I can entice other fretters to add something and learn from their work :)

Sorry no tab... didn't expect anyone wanting to learn from mine... I did this on the fly.. all it is... is C blues scale... And don't even know why I chose C.. it sounds like it fits to me .. I played different root notes and their scales to make sure I was in something that fit. then... I started on the E and A at the eighth fret sliding up-down for some reason only the guitar and the devil know for sure..lol.. it sounded ok at the time is the reason.. and just worked my way down to B and E around the sixteenth from low to high through the scale... I may have even gone above the eighth.. running down the fretboard to the next locations (6 thru 4) and then back up... For choosing the sound type I just backed off the tone about halfway on the guitar making it deeper instead of adjusting at the amp and turned the volume back a bit although after hearing it again today not back enough maybe... played the backing track and went through presets/patches already on the Fender Cyber Champ till I found one to my liking..(it's actually Hang10 preset for the surf sound when full out) no more then that.. pretty lazy way but was all I was looking for.. then trying to keep step with the music, well at least the way I heard it.. lol.. you probably have this but C blues scale picture attached... you can tell in the picture C Blues Scale is just a little different allowing the diminished fifth I think they call it into the minor scale.. which is just one more note actually.. and I guess if it feels right when your playing then you leave C minor and jump into the C blues scale.. this is just what I did..dunno if its right or wrong but I liked it.. I think someone said there is nothing wrong in music.. it's just music... and I was just playing.. ;) appreciate you asking questions... means I am on the right track and must be learning a bit as I go... thanks again..hope this helps a bit..

Justaguyin_nc
March 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I have read else where that in order to really get that jazzy tone you should turn down the treble on the amp. Also to boost the mids and bass helps to obtain that jazzy sound.

Wow, this interaction does work for things... It just dawned on me why all these "Real" guitar players have a hard time explaining a sound.. Alot of times I ask how did say for instance how did Clapton attain that sound.. and the players such as Robert, T2TB, Nelskie etc.. usually say something like Strat or LesPaul through a Twin or a Marshall.... and thats about it.. leaving me in the total dark how to obtain a sound.. but not really... it was a basis to start with and from there only your own ear can find the sound your looking for or hearing in their playing... and without the way they execute their playing style and the sound you can never obtain anothers sound.. Looking back at your message it states how a book says you can probably get the best sound... but it does not state for which song or in which style.. just a rough idea as to what your looking for... I tried the above a minute ago... and to me with this particular song I liked having the two pickups and the treble as it was with just backing off the tone knob.. while maybe Swede will come up with the neck pickup only and bassy.. and robert might just wale away with a thousand notes per minute using just a bridge pickup and make it sound like godsend... I now know why there are patches for the same person/star ten different ways... its all in each persons hearing and feel.. Heck, Im using a preset for a Surfing band to do Jazz...lol.. If it feels right... just do it!

thank you Yoda's of TheFret.Net...

:R

Tim
March 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Whoa there young lad. Please don’t put me in the same class as “Lightning Robert” or “Tone to the Ear”. I read more than I should play.

But you make an interesting point on how people determine how a particular artist sounds. It’s all in the ear of the beholder. But I do think that 25 years of playing and the skills obtained from tweaking a ton of amps put more credence in one individual’s knowledge of styles and sound. I believe we have fellow Fretters that have both: years of playing and years of gained skills. I trust and cherish the information exchanged on this forum.

But as you mentioned Justaguy … the artist is the one who makes the final decision on the tone and sound of a sound. I agree with you. Your surf sound is a good choice for the backing track chosen.

Thanks for the scale. I will study the scale chart and apply it to your explanation of how you did the solo for the song.

Justaguyin_nc
March 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Tim.. hehe... I know your like me... learning from these guitar players... picking away at their knowledge.. Like the grasshopper to the master lol.. I dunno if years matter.. Im sure it helps.. I know practice matters.. Johnny Lang as a young man not old enough to have the experience you mentioned has a sound I just dig... Claptons early tone was better in ways to me...before his experience.. I also cherish the information obtained here.. and its a pleasant experience reading here with little to no gripes at all.. very uncommon in the forum arenas... let's here some clips from you soon...

Tim
March 6th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Justa – I’m working on clips. I was told I can use my V-Amp2 to get my playing into the computer. From the V-Amp2 balanced output I can go through the computer’s mic input. That is were it stops for me. I need a program to sort all this stuff out into tacks. I posted an earlier message asking if Cakewalk’s Music Creator 3 would do for a program. It looks like it is on the same scale as Warren’s Garage Band program for his Apple computer. From here I need to practice, practice, and practice. Then I need to practice on my guitar.

Justaguyin_nc
March 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM
About any software with tracks is capable of making your clips... there is even a FREE one... http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ audacity is cross platform and free..and works... maybe not as pretty as those you spend alot of money on..but it works... you can also plug straight into your Headphones input and just run a 1/8th out to a soundcard... least it works for me.. 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor... this free software and you have it... very little expense

Justaguyin_nc
March 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Oh a sidenote to Audacity... you need to also install LAME MP3 Encoder which allows export as a MP3.. I found the output to be fine and programs to be easy for simple copying tracks into a multi track file from importing mp3's and doing a live record of guitar..This also uses VST plugins right now although the graphic layers are removed..making it look generic but still workable.. A newer version in beta has some more features, but this version is stable till beta is done..

For Window Users:
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~raa110/audacity/lame.html is a link to LAME binaries... I just created a folder under Audacity folder named lame and unzipped to it.. then ran lame.exe to install it.. Audacity will ask you for the location of the lame_enc.dll which will be in this folder created once you run lame.exe

Attached is an example .. I did it the same as using adobe Audition, backing track and live guitar but softer.. then Quick Mix down with fades in and out.. .. the Audacity even comes with effects such as FADE etc... there is no difference I can tell with free programs or purchased.. except looks..