PDA

View Full Version : How many years to go..

Justaguyin_nc
September 21st, 2007, 11:37 AM
The forest is mysterious dark and deep I have many promises to keep And many miles to go before I sleep And many miles to go before I sleep

I as a newbie... was wondering how many YEARS did it take you, before you actually thought .. YES.. I can play guitar! Not just strum a few songs or remember a few but capable of just sitting in and being able to pick up with a band etc.. such as Brian Krashpad mentioned doing the other day as an extra guitar player.

Spudman
September 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM
I remember early in my guitar playing career thinking I could play and then the next day it was gone. Then it came back one day - and left the next. It's been doing that for over 30 years now. I don't expect a change any time soon.

Plank_Spanker
September 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM
I remember early in my guitar playing career thinking I could play and then the next day it was gone. Then it came back one day - and left the next. It's been doing that for over 30 years now. I don't expect a change any time soon.

My exact experience! :D

t_ross33
September 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hey, nice Robert Frost reference there :AOK:

I pretty much learned to play on the fly, sitting in at my Dad's gigs and jam sessions from the time I was 12 or so. I still learn a little bit (and probably forget a lotta bit) everyday, but the one thing that experience taught me was to just get out there and play, don't worry about getting it "right" or making mistakes, just "Let 'er Buck!" You really develop a sense of timing and "place" when you play with other musicians. I was really lucky that I grew up in such a supportive environment where that talent (for lack of a better word) was nurtured and allowed to develop.

Since I started playing live again (hmm...almost 30 yrs later), I'm fairly confident in my ability to at least hold down the rhythm and jam along in almost any situation (except maybe a shredfest :rotflmao: ). Just yell out what gear we're in and I'll try to keep up :Dude:

Trev

This post is dedicated to the memories of my Dad, Steele Ross, and our good friend Bill "Country Kirk" Kirkland. My mentors and musical inspiration to this day. Thanks for the music!

SuperSwede
September 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM

+1

That happens to me all the time, it tends to improve with a non-skunky beer though.

Justaguyin_nc
September 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for sharing that T_ross..

But Spuds...Plank... Swede... come on now.. I know spuds at least use to play out.. so at some point spuds you decided your a guitar player.. Swede.. you know you got tone..:) some point you truely decided you can play.. Plank.. I dunno if I missed any of your songs uploaded or not.. so I am sorry for that.. but I think you play out too..or did.. come on fellas.. what was the time frame in your minds.. I am sure even David Gilmour and SRV at times said what the heck am I doing.. that don't count..

SuperSwede
September 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for sharing that T_ross..

But Spuds...Plank... Swede... come on now.. I know spuds at least use to play out.. so at some point spuds you decided your a guitar player.. Swede.. you know you got tone..:) some point you truely decided you can play.. Plank.. I dunno if I missed any of your songs uploaded or not.. so I am sorry for that.. but I think you play out too..or did.. come on fellas.. what was the time frame in your minds.. I am sure even David Gilmour and SRV at times said what the heck am I doing.. that don't count..

I played out for several years, but a part of the musicians curse is that you never truly get satisfied with your ability to play (well, perhaps YJM can be excluded). One day you feel ready to rule the world with your guitar, the next day you cannot even understand how to operate the rhythm/treble toggle.

warren0728
September 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM
as a newbie... was wondering how many YEARS did it take you, before you actually thought .. YES.. I can play guitar!
i'll let you know when it happens!

I have played guitar on and off since i was 12 but and still a beginner. I am trying to take more time to actually play and learn more than a few chords and a couple of pentatonic scales.

Time management is the main issue for me. I know i could be a good player but just haven't devoted enough time to getting there (kinda like golf).

I'm not giving up though and really want to be a good player.

I think getting to really know the fretboard and theory would be a good thing for me and i have a feeling to get there i am going to need to find a good instructor.

ww

Spudman
September 21st, 2007, 04:27 PM
One day you feel ready to rule the world with your guitar, the next day you cannot even understand how to operate the rhythm/treble toggle.

Exactly!

Justaguyin_nc
September 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by SuperSwede
One day you feel ready to rule the world with your guitar, the next day you cannot even understand how to operate the rhythm/treble toggle.

My apologies... I keep thinking when I hear you two guys playing that you must have alot of confidence.. as "to me" it shows in your playing. I understand guitar playing is a constant fight with yourself to improve more and more.. but that was not actually the question or what I meant. :)

I keep forgeting, without knowing someone personally and just through these forums, you might not know their abilities at all....

My apologies....

Maybe someone else will have what they thought was a time frame or turning point in their guitar playing to feel comfortable with others.

just strum
September 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Justaguyin,

As a newbie myself, I think that is a question asked by everyone that is determined to stick with it. I certainly can't answer the question, but I can pass along things that have inspired me or given me the drive to keep going.

I was told very early on that I should not focus so much on the destination, but to enjoy the journey. Focusing too much on the destination will prevent you from enjoying the little victories.

Feel the music, even if it's a simple progression. I could not acquire the ability to stop looking at my left hand. I was so focused on the left hand I never really heard a felt the rhythm. I would play, form a chord incorrectly and start all over. I started playing in the dark, or just looking into space and suddenly one day I "felt" the music. I could play progressions and develop a nice melody. There are day when I'm "in the zone" and other days when every chord or every note sounds like crap.

I think Spudman and the others nailed it and I ditto that, I just used more words. I guess I should be practicing instead of typing.

Sorry I didn't answer your question.

oldguy
September 21st, 2007, 07:17 PM
I can only answer from my experience, Justa, so here goes.
I started learning chords at 17. Graduated high school that year, then a cousin 10 yrs older moved here from California after a divorce. We worked together days and played guitar at night. He showed me how to play flatted 7th chords, minors, etc. and some bass/rhythm patterns.
I joined a band at 22 and thought I was a guitarist. HAHAHAHa!!!!!!!
3 chord country songs and the lead from "blues eyes cryin' in the rain", yeah, I guess I qualified as a picker, but man, did I ever have ALOT to learn.
Played in 3 more bands in bars every weekend for the next 10 yrs, and improved some, but here's the crazy thing.....
The more I learn, even the more I practice (like I've got time nowadays,LOL), the more I realize how much more there is to learn and how much I really don't know. And that's not a smart-a$$ed answer to yer question, I find ,as I progress, that it is a learning process without end, if you choose to make it such. If I had wanted to stop learning after I could play "House of the rising sun", I could have quit 30 yrs ago. It's not the destination, man, it's the journey...:drool:

NOW... to answer the original question you posed..
For me, about 5 yrs, when I joined a band. I could fake my way through most songs if I wasn't expected to play the lead note for note like the record.
If I knew the key the song was in, and the chord progression, I was comfortable playing in front of people. If I had a lead break, I knew the scales well enough I could play something that fit the tune. There were (and always will be) players out there with more ability, agility, and knowledge than I have, but I play for the fun of it, and as long as you have the fun, and the ability to laugh at yourself, yer good to go.
I learned a couple of very important lessons a long time ago...... in front of an old black and white TV on Saturday morning...... from Bugs Bunny.....
"Don't take the world too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive"....
" Remember, Doc, it's nice to be important, but... eh, it's more important to be nice".....:rotflmao:

Hey, I see just strum heard the same quote as I, enjoy the journey, don't worry about the destination.
Man, if I'd wondered how long before I got good 35 yrs ago, I'd of given up...... the funny thing is, I never gave up, and I still don't think of myself as good...... but I'm self-assured. Not self-insured:rotflmao:

Justaguyin_nc
September 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM
NOW... to answer the original question you posed..
For me, about 5 yrs, when I joined a band.

Thanks old guy... lol.. it was not a "going to the mountain" question that I needed to know for MYSELF... it was a general question in just wondering what people thought was "their" time... lol

:beer:

oldguy
September 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
That's OK, just be glad I didn't go into detail....... I could write a book.
A very loooonnngg, boring book.:rotflmao:

Tone2TheBone
September 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM

Man are you psychic today or what. I was going to post this and I had one of those twilight zone moments when I read your post.

Justaguyin_nc
September 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM
That's OK, just be glad I didn't go into detail....... I could write a book.
A very loooonnngg, boring book.:rotflmao:

Haha.. your never boring..

The reason I just asked the general question "not meaning for a tutorial or life travel" but in general.. is when Brian Krashpad Mentioned sitting in on a band on the fly.. what "B*lls".. thats when I get in awe for a player.. one must build up to do such a thing.. thats a gift.. and was wondering how long it took for those with such a gift...not that I will ever have it or care if I do..lol

Hind site: I probably should have not put "this NEWBIE" wants to know.. that probably was the fault in the queston..lol

SuperSwede
September 22nd, 2007, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by SuperSwede

My apologies... I keep thinking when I hear you two guys playing that you must have alot of confidence.. as "to me" it shows in your playing. I understand guitar playing is a constant fight with yourself to improve more and more.. but that was not actually the question or what I meant. :)

I keep forgeting, without knowing someone personally and just through these forums, you might not know their abilities at all....

My apologies....

Maybe someone else will have what they thought was a time frame or turning point in their guitar playing to feel comfortable with others.

Remember... no apoligies! :pancake
Your post was (as usual) a healthy injection to the discussions on this board, and this subject is something that really needs to be discussed. My reply was just meant to say that we all are fighting with these feelings, no matter what "level" of playing we have reached. I DO want to add that I love your recordings, especially when you play acoustic and sing. Your voice is something that I would trade two of my best front teeth to get.

:beer:

tunghaichuan
September 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
I've been reading a book called Effortless Mastery (http://www.amazon.com/Effortless-Mastery-Liberating-Master-Musician/dp/156224003X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9528798-2854464?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190474778&sr=8-1) by Kenny Werner. It is kind of a philosophical treatise on retraining your self to play. Werner is a jazz/classical pianist, but the book is applicable to all musicians.

In a nutshell, Werner talks about breaking away from habits that inhibit growth and playing ability, namely the fear of sounding bad, the fear of making a mistake, and fear based practicing.

The book comes with a CD of meditations to listen to. I've been listening to them for about a month now. One positive benefit is that the meditations, while kind of corny, get you to relax which is an essential part of practicing any physical skill. That is, not wasting energy or developing bad habits through unnecessary physical tension.

tung

Justaguyin_nc
September 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
Swede: apologies are allowed if it's not pertaining to our music..;) And the way I type..one is usually needed from time to time... Really two front teeth? I wonder what that smiley would look like :rotflmao:

Tung: I must say, there may be something to that book.. I have known people that truelly believe in listening to meditation CD's.. one being my own 84 yearold mother.. she sleeps to a few.. more like Ocean sound CD's but in the same principle..and she is still very mentally capable at her age.

Jimi75
September 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
I always felt quite okay with my playing, I have spent lots of time in my room practicing when others went outside and I had kind of my own universe playing to th records of Metallica and Ozzy Osbourne from A to Z and imagining I was actually in their band!

It took me 10 years before I took a very good teacher. I had lessons in composing, jarzz and blues for a year and after that period, so said 11 years, I had a let us say good feeling and felt way more selfconfident with my playing.

:beavisnbutthead:

tunghaichuan
September 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Tung: I must say, there may be something to that book.. I have known people that truelly believe in listening to meditation CD's.. one being my own 84 yearold mother.. she sleeps to a few.. more like Ocean sound CD's but in the same principle..and she is still very mentally capable at her age.

Here are a couple more books that I have and have enjoyed:

Zen and the Art of Guitar (http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Art-Guitar-Path-Mastery/dp/0739028170/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9528798-2854464?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190484585&sr=1-1)

Zen Guitar (http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Guitar-Philip-Toshio-Sudo/dp/068483877X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9528798-2854464?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190484655&sr=1-1)

The Book of Six Strings (http://www.amazon.com/Book-Strings-Fold-Path-Guitar/dp/1929395493/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-9528798-2854464?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190484655&sr=1-3) (sequel to Zen Guitar)

Free Play (http://www.amazon.com/Free-Play-Improvisation-Life-Art/dp/0874776317/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9528798-2854464?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190484810&sr=1-1)

tung

just strum
September 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Here are a couple more books that I have and have enjoyed:

Zen Guitar (http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Guitar-Philip-Toshio-Sudo/dp/068483877X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9528798-2854464?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190484655&sr=1-1)

tung

Someone sent me this, but I only read a couple of pages - do you recommend it? If yes, why?

tunghaichuan
September 22nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Someone sent me this, but I only read a couple of pages - do you recommend it? If yes, why?

I've found it to be very enlightening.

One of the ideas that interests me is the idea of non-attachment, that is, doing something (such as practicing the guitar) without being attached to the outcome. Others describe this as "being in the moment," or "the power of now."

Unfortunately, such concepts are easier to talk about than to apply.

I'd say read it and see if it helps you. If it doesn't, it is a short read and you haven't really wasted that much time.

tung

Spudman
September 22nd, 2007, 02:23 PM
I've been reading a book called Effortless Mastery (http://www.amazon.com/Effortless-Mastery-Liberating-Master-Musician/dp/156224003X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-9528798-2854464?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190474778&sr=8-1) by Kenny Werner. It is kind of a philosophical treatise on retraining your self to play. Werner is a jazz/classical pianist, but the book is applicable to all musicians.

Zen In The Art Of Archery is another good book that takes a similar approach. It's been around a while.
Basically is says that after you have a fundamental grasp of your task that it is only when "YOU" cease to be present and just let it happen is when you have control...by having no control.

Zen is so strange yet so logical.

Plank_Spanker
September 22nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
>>>>that it is only when "YOU" cease to be present and just let it happen is when you have control...by having no control.<<<<

Therein lies the rub................................

Getting focused and letting yourself go is the key.......................if you can partition all of the inevitable distractions that life throws at you on a day to day basis.

It's called "The Zone". I visit it once in a while, but not as regularly as I would like. It's absolute magic when you're there. :D

just strum
September 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
It's called "The Zone". I visit it once in a while, but not as regularly as I would like. It's absolute magic when you're there. :D

I've been there a couple of times, nice place. I look forward to being able to visit more often.