PDA

View Full Version : Wedding gig in the last minute

Robert
September 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Someone called me this afternoon and asked if I could play guitar music for a wedding - TOMORROW! Well, being as I am slightly retarded, I said yes. :deadhorse:

Now, she is expecting some "instrumental country music". What the heck is that? Any tips or advice to keep me from screwing up this lady's wedding would be greatly appreciated! :messedup:

Justaguyin_nc
September 21st, 2007, 07:39 PM
Dueling Banjos? ;)

oh second thought instrumentals.. some Chet Atkins.. Jerry Reed... Willie Nelson... Buck Owens.. ya know.. easy songs you can learn overnite :rotflmao:

Poor Robert.. you can do it!! :AOK:

SuperSwede
September 22nd, 2007, 12:44 AM
Lol... I wish you all the luck. You could always play some swedish danceband music if you totally run out of ideas :D
"Leende guldbruna ögon" you know ;)

Tim
September 22nd, 2007, 08:17 AM
Do you know the theme song for the "Wedding Crashers"?

Robert
September 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
Funny, Tim... :D

Spudman
September 22nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
1,4, 5 with a twang should get you through. Best wishes.

If it starts going badly throw up and say it must have been the food. The party will be over right away and you should still get paid.

t_ross33
September 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
If it starts going badly throw up and say it must have been the food. The party will be over right away and you should still get paid.

Phhhhhhhhtttttt!!!! BWAHAHAHA! :rotflmao: I just spewed coffee all over my laptop!! You guys slay me! :rotflmao:

Good luck Robert. Any acoustic fingerpickin' jam would do the trick. They ain't there to see you anyway, so anything ambient would be appropriate IMHO. :AOK:

Justaguyin_nc
September 22nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
And when all is about to fail Robert.. just play G-C-D patterns over and over... it don't get no more country than that...

warren0728
September 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
i think the boys from monty python said it best..."RUN AWAY...RUN AWAY"

as an EX wedding photographer i envy you not my friend! :messedup:

ww

sunvalleylaw
September 22nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Can you play the Macarena? . . . . . . Nah, that usually doesn't happen until the reception. LOL!

Robert
September 22nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Well, I did the wedding gig. I over-prepared and learned a bunch of cute ballads yesterday - recorded them on my JamMan with an acoustic guitar, and planned on playing the melody with my Tele. I show up there and there's no power. :(

Bummed. So, nothing else to do but to play the same stuff I had recorded on the JamMan, except I couldn't play the melody. Here and there, I hinted at the melody as I played the chords, but I am no master finger picker so it was an ordeal.

Plus, the whole thing was late, so I ended up playing very long before the bride showed up. Sore fingers! My acoustic isn't that easy to play, so my fingers complained pretty quickly, but I tried to smile and appear as if I was loving what I was doing. It was cold too, and I just wanted to be done.

Took forever to get paid as well.... they were too busy hugging people and ignored the hard working man! (that would be me ;) )

Spudman
September 22nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
Yea! You survived. A lot of guitarists end up in the Valley Of Bridesmaids and are never heard from again. You must be an exceptional guitarist.;)

Tim
September 22nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Congratulations Robert. You made it through the wedding ordeal. I believe you have a lessons learned under your belt. What will be your reply the next time you receive a similar phone call? Will it be "No thank you" or "Will there be electricity available?" Personally I think you had the right idea by using the Jam Man. You can always do a video for Dolphinstreet.

Robert
September 22nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Next time, I'll charge more! They told me an hour, it turned to be two hours. Since I "speed-learned" some songs and put the on the JamMan, I wouldn't mind doing this kind of thing again, if there's electricity available.

The wedding took place in a park in the afternoon. This IS Canada guys - it was not like a summer day out there! I just wore a thin shirt.

tot_Ou_tard
September 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Wow! Impressive coping skills Robert. You are a true musician!

Guitar Gal
September 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Glad to hear that things turned out well Robert and that you survived :Dude:

With your skills and talent, I'm sure everyone at the reception was impressed with your playing :DR

GG

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Way to go Robert. I knew you would be prepared and be able to handle a back up plan.

Brian Krashpad
September 24th, 2007, 07:06 AM
The wedding took place in a park in the afternoon. This IS Canada guys - it was not like a summer day out there! I just wore a thin shirt.

Next time wear pants!

Congrats on surviving!

:AOK:

Jimi75
September 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Congrats Rob!

You made the best out of the situation and I can imagine that you played excellently like you always do!

How was that again with money earning and stuff? :messedup:

I have played such stunt shows and I say "Chapeau Robert"!

warren0728
September 24th, 2007, 08:04 AM
it was not like a summer day out there! I just wore a thin shirt.

Next time wear pants!

jeez robert...nothing but a shirt AND in public...at least when i was making my pancakes i was in my own house (how was i to know my friends would look through the window!!) :pancake

ww :rotflmao:

Justaguyin_nc
September 24th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't mind doing this kind of thing again, if there's electricity available.

Glad you made it through Robert! We all knew you would...:beer:

BTW, maybe it's time to invest in some portable silent generator for when that happens again? something along this line...

http://www.cetsolar.com/xpower300.htm

these things work pretty good these days..
I use a small one for the Riding lawn mower..instead of buying a battery every other year..I just jump it off..
Hold pretty good charges..I am sure you would have to look into how long a charge..
but prices are dropping and even during a power out they come in handy.. best of all..no sound from them..

Algonquin
September 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Did you at least get fed? :pancake or offered a drink from the bar at least? :beer:

Robert
September 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM
No food, the gig was in a park!

jeez robert...nothing but a shirt AND in public...at least when i was making my pancakes i was in my own house (how was i to know my friends would look through the window!!)

Ahh, so that's why people were staring at me! :whatever:

Thanks for the tip, Justa. Never really thought about something like that.

Algonquin
October 11th, 2007, 05:31 AM
jeez robert...nothing but a shirt AND in public...at least when i was making my pancakes i was in my own house (how was i to know my friends would look through the window!!) :pancake

ww :rotflmao:

Rumour has it... this was the inspiration for Roberts attire at the Gig!

http://www.snorgtees.com/withashirtlikethis-p-411.html

:rotflmao:

Mark
October 11th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Here is a quick tutorial for ya Robert

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wCvomDZykvk