PDA

View Full Version : The Ruts

just strum
September 23rd, 2007, 07:53 AM
Sounds like a rock group, but it's questions regarding the problem of getting in a rut.

I learned early on that it doesn't matter what level of playing skills you posses, we all get in a rut. I think for a beginner like myself (and I believe many others on the forum) it may be more frustrating as we haven't developed enough skills or knowledge to work through it.

A few questions for all levels:

1) When do you consider you are in a rut? for me it's when I feel I am not progressing or no matter what I play or practice just seems to sound a little "off" to me.

2) What do you do to get yourself out of a rut? I try to work through it, but sometimes it doesn't seem to work - the "rut" never has the same duration, so that is where the frustration comes in. I try walking away and giving it a rest for a few days, but then the feeling of defeat sets in and I am back at it.

3) We talked about 'the zone" and I'm sure it's come up often, but has anyone thought about what may be the ideal conditions for them to get in "the zone"? Can it be created or does it just happen? I've reached that point a couple of times, but never reflected on the conditions, if any, existed when it happened. Getting in "the zone" certainly takes away frustration and even when something isn't going right, it is viewed differently - instead of a brick wall, it becomes nothing more than a hurdle or challenge

I realize this subject has been beaten to death, but with the recent addition of new members I thought it would be beneficial to hear from all levels, including the new members.

I hope this is a suitable place to post the question.

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
My newbie answers appear below in red.

1) When do you consider you are in a rut? for me it's when I feel I am not progressing or no matter what I play or practice just seems to sound a little "off" to me. I agree with that, or when I am making simple mistakes that I normally don't make on something I know. Also, if I am not having fun.

2) What do you do to get yourself out of a rut? Taking advice from here, I think specifically from Spudman, learn something new, and sometimes that means just a melody I can remember in my head. Playing with my looper pedal works too sometimes. But basically, trying something new or different.

3) We talked about 'the zone" and I'm sure it's come up often, but has anyone thought about what may be the ideal conditions for them to get in "the zone"? Can it be created or does it just happen? For me, it helps to get some practice time that is long enough during a time that is not too late at night or when I am not tired out from the day. Sometimes a challenge in a family of five with 3 kids 10 and under. Again, if I load a good backer into my looper and play along, lots of times that puts me there. The folks here have given me plenty of those. For playing specific songs, I think it just takes repetition until the chords or part I am playing is "under my fingers" without thinking about it, then I can let it go and work on some swing and personality. Again, playing along with a recording helps me there. I load new songs sometimes into my looper and slow them down until I can get it and speed it up later. That will ultimately let me get into the zone on a song. Just takes time.

Spudman
September 23rd, 2007, 09:39 AM

1) When do you consider you are in a rut?

I never do. It's really just varying degrees of suck. Some days I just suck more than others. Seriously, a good sense of humility really helps because we all tend to put these expectations on ourselves that we can't meet every day. A 'rut' is just not meeting some imaginary expectations. It's not really a rut. You just think it is.

2) What do you do to get yourself out of a rut?

Mainly just keep playing or else change my perspective. Go for a work out, read something, listen to another player that I haven't listened to for a while.

3) We talked about 'the zone" and I'm sure it's come up often, but has anyone thought about what may be the ideal conditions for them to get in "the zone"? Can it be created or does it just happen?

The zone can happen at any time. Consistent meditation can help you to realize this state. Mainly it is the dropping of the 'self' at which point all that exists is just what is. No expectations or criticisms or judgements.

Another sure way is through Neuro Linguistic Programing (NLP). You can reprogram yourself to be in the zone when you associate it with a specific action such as when you hit the power switch on your amph or feel the guitar neck in your hand. Plenty of books on that subject and the best are by Grinder and Bandler.

snarph
September 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
I find playing with others and trying to tune into what ever they are doing to a degree that you kind of loose your self that usually dose it for me

Plank_Spanker
September 23rd, 2007, 01:23 PM

When I find myself banging away at the same old stuff, getting nowhere with it, and losing inspiration to play.

I walk away from the guitar for a while. It doesn't take too long for the fire to build back up. I go back and play guilty indulgence, fun stuff. I eventually work my way back to the old wall and sometimes I just leap right over it.

3) We talked about 'the zone" and I'm sure it's come up often, but has anyone thought about what may be the ideal conditions for them to get in "the zone"? Can it be created or does it just happen?

Ah, The Zone! What a great place to be! I usually find The Zone when I'm really fired up to play - usually after a short break. I set my way up by eliminating any distractions. I don't seek The Zone. I let it find me. I just relax and let my playing flow. When the door opens, you'll know it - you won't really think about your playing............it will just flow out of you

Justaguyin_nc
September 23rd, 2007, 07:33 PM

Spuds seems to have these questions down.. so I basicly copy pasted.. and added my newbie side to it..

I never do. It's really just varying degrees of suck. Some days I just suck more than others. Seriously, a good sense of humility really helps because we all tend to put these expectations on ourselves that we can't meet every day.

Although I believe maybe I should know more than I already do after 2-3 years playing.. I am content in what I know.. and still have the fever to learn more everyday.

Mainly just keep playing... I might change the type of playing.. from Rock to country to blues..but just keep playing and smiling most of the time.

The zone can happen at any time....

my problem with "the zone"... I feel like I am really playing something..and it sounds great "to me".. at that moment.. then I listen to what I recorded the next day..delete it cause it was not great and go on smiling and learning something else.. someday..maybe it all will fall together..

man at 50+...its all good.. just like a kid at christmas.. I really just enjoy messing with guitars and equipment.. and I hope it don't end till I do...

tot_Ou_tard
September 24th, 2007, 06:11 AM
I'm too much of a beginner to get in a rut.

There is always something new to learn, it always takes time to learn it. I know about how long it takes me to move from clam digging to relatively smooth playing. Each little bit makes me happy.

The Zone comes at the end of each new learning period, when the thinking & repitition transforms into calm & playful fun.

Lots of clam digging, little bit of Zone, then more clam digging, which leads to a more expansive Zone which of course brings up a extended period of clam digging...

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I'm too much of a beginner to get in a rut.

There is always something new to learn, it always takes time to learn it. I know about how long it takes me to move from clam digging to relatively smooth playing. Each little bit makes me happy.

The Zone comes at the end of each new learning period, when the thinking & repitition transforms into calm & playful fun.

Lots of clam digging, little bit of Zone, then more clam digging, which leads to a more expansive Zone which of course brings up a extended period of clam digging...

Yeah, I can really relate to that! The hard part for me is putting enough time together to concentrate long enough to work through the clams.

just strum
September 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I can really relate to that! The hard part for me is putting enough time together to concentrate long enough to work through the clams.

That's an issue with me too. I will be at work and start thinking about going home and playing guitar, but when I get home I'm either mentally drained or some unplanned task is waiting for me.

Weekends have gotten a little better and there are times that at least one day on the weekend I can put in a 3 to 4 hour session. I had the time yesterday, pulled out the guitars and amp, but still seemed to labor and couldn't get a nice flow going. I ended up going over chords and chord progressions so I would at least take advantage of the available time.

I would like to practice 45 - 60 minutes every weekday and then have a nice long session on the weekend. The other problem I have is coordinating a convenient time with friends that play - we can never get on the same schedule.

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2007, 12:53 PM
That's an issue with me too. I will be at work and start thinking about going home and playing guitar, but when I get home I'm either mentally drained or some unplanned task is waiting for me.

Weekends have gotten a little better and there are times that at least one day on the weekend I can put in a 3 to 4 hour session. I had the time yesterday, pulled out the guitars and amp, but still seemed to labor and couldn't get a nice flow going. I ended up going over chords and chord progressions so I would at least take advantage of the available time.

I would like to practice 45 - 60 minutes every weekday and then have a nice long session on the weekend. The other problem I have is coordinating a convenient time with friends that play - we can never get on the same schedule.

For it to work at all for me lately, I need to turn off my head and just start plugging stuff in and playing something, no matter what it is. Then I can maybe work on some planned stuff. I may try making a note or two on where I left off in a notebook on my amph so I can pick it back up without thinking about it.

I also am implementing some tot Ou tard inspired Jedi/zen philoshopy, colored with Nike marketing:

play or play not..there is no try --tOta

and Just Play It!

some of the books mentioned above might be worth a look for me.

ted s
September 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Spuds and Justa, varying degrees of suckage ?!
I hope that one day I can suck as bad as you guys.

:crazyguy:

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Spuds and Justa, varying degrees of suckage ?!
I hope that one day I can suck as bad as you guys.

:crazyguy:

Yeah, I am in line there behind you buddy. Give me some more cowbell! :pancake

ted s
September 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Steve, if you're in line behind me, is the smiley Steve giving smiley Ted a wedgie ?

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Steve, if you're in line behind me, is the smiley Steve giving smiley Ted a wedgie ?

Ya, that's it. Nothing more than that coming from me, and I am just aboot juvenile enough to do that very thing. :beer: :rotflmao:

TS808
September 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I've gone through those phases of feeling like I'm stuck in a rut. It wasn't until I started taking lessons again that I realized how much I was limiting myself, and I've only taken 3 lessons so far. I'm experimenting with different modes, chords, tempos, and even music.

I think that "rut" for me was just getting comfortable with a specific style (blues) and not trying enough different music. It got to the point where alot of the stuff I was playing was sounding the same.

just strum
September 24th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I've gone through those phases of feeling like I'm stuck in a rut. It wasn't until I started taking lessons again that I realized how much I was limiting myself, and I've only taken 3 lessons so far. I'm experimenting with different modes, chords, tempos, and even music.

I think I have to start taking lessons. We have a place close to my house that charges $95 a month for weekly half hour lessons. The great feature of their lessons is they always have at least one instructor that remains with open time. If you get stuck on something or just need some assistance you can go in for a half hour and work with the instructor at no extra charge. If you wanted, you could actually show up every day (24 hour notice required) and still pay $95.

I'm trying to decide if I want to take acoustic or electric lessons. I am playing my electrics more and more - acoustic probably only takes up 20% of my time, if that.

Here's the place:

http://www.gitterpicker.com/

Go to lessons and then click on "About Our Program"

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I think I have to start taking lessons. We have a place close to my house that charges $95 a month for weekly half hour lessons. The great feature of their lessons is they always have at least one instructor that remains with open time. If you get stuck on something or just need some assistance you can go in for a half hour and work with the instructor at no extra charge. If you wanted, you could actually show up every day (24 hour notice required) and still pay $95.

I'm trying to decide if I want to take acoustic or electric lessons. I am playing my electrics more and more - acoustic probably only takes up 20% of my time, if that.

Here's the place:

http://www.gitterpicker.com/

Go to lessons and then click on "About Our Program"

Hey that looks cool. It would be interesting to go to different guys or the instructor on call for the day, as long as they were all good enough. I did not see that you had to pick specifically acoustic or electric. Just that the instructors are listed as acoustic or electric. I would ask which ones could do both and pick one to be my "homeroom" instructor. My instructor works with me on both, though because we have been playing in the student band, whose covers require my electric, I have been focusing on that.

kiteman
September 24th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Best way to get out of a rut, do something new or just walk away.

The zone, I remember how I worked to get "there". Now it's nothing, just has to be in the mood for it. Weird thing is when I'm in the zone I don't know what I'm doing because my fingers got a mind of their own. I feel like I'm just listening to music from somewhere else. When it ends I "wake" up.

YerDugliness
October 4th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Aaaah, the rut and the zone, supposedly juxtapositions of skill, but are they?

I've been in rut after rut, but as I look back on those times I realize that they didn't always have much to do with the guitar, most often it was other things that were happening in my life and just seemed to have an overall effect. What usually helped me was getting out of the house and doing something, ANYTHING, that was a new endeavor. Learn something new. It didn't have to be guitar related for me, sometimes it was stained glass, sometimes it was woodworking, sometimes it was winemaking.....you get the idea. Once I felt that rush that goes with a new skill, it seemed like other areas in my life got better, too. Blame it on my lifetime endeavor if you want--a 32 year career in education makes me a lifetime learner, I guess.

As for "DaZone", well, I've been there, and "....ain't it great???" A few who know me realize most of my practice time is spent in the dark, with my eyes closed, and when you stop relying on watching what your left hand is doing and start letting the flow become ingrained, a motor pattern rather than an endeavor, it frees the mind for spiritual travel, which in my mind is where "DaZone" is located. I put the hands on automatic and start visualizing (my favorite is to play "Vincent", by Don McLean, and visualize his artwork as I am playing--there is a different piece for each phrase in the lyrics!). Before long, I awaken, not knowing how long I've been mind tripping, but realizing that I need to wipe the drool off my shirt and the guitar. When you get to that place, where you lose control of your hands and your mind takes over, you've been to "DaZone".

For me, the rut is just part of the road to "DaZone" (or is it that "DaZone" is just the way out of the rut--it all runs together, to me). Once I get to "DaZone", whatever rut I'm in just seems to fill in, and once the ruts fill in I find the journey to "DaZone" to be like turning the reins loose and letting the horse make his way back to the barn--it's automatic.

Thus endeth this treatise on soul travel...................

Dugly :cool:

Ro3b
October 8th, 2007, 08:49 AM
When I'm in a rut, I listen to the Ruts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K44YwDuKEQ

just strum
October 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
man at 50+...its all good.. just like a kid at christmas.. I really just enjoy messing with guitars and equipment.. and I hope it don't end till I do...

I'm with you, but before I leave this place I want someone to say "hey, you're a good guitarist" - hell, I would settle with "hey, you're not half bad"

But I know what you are saying and there is a lot of satisfaction messing around with guitars and equipment.

just strum
October 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM
Since the "Rut" subject came up again and I think some of us, if not all of us, benefit from the discussion I thought I would address another issue relating to the subject.

DIRECTION: It probably has been touched on in this or other threads, but there's always good advice to be shared. One of the causes I find when I am in a rut, is I am lacking direction or a map of learning. One thing that is common in any learning process are the building blocks that allow you to develop as it prepares you for the next challenge. Right now I am just picking up on various little lessons (the free DVD from Truefire that Marnold posted as an example). It really serves as a bridge to allow me to continue to advance, but it really has no defined "next step". That said, does anyone have recommendations for learning techniques or lessons, besides sitting with an instructor?

Rocket
October 21st, 2007, 08:29 AM
...does anyone have recommendations for learning techniques or lessons, besides sitting with an instructor?
Sure... sit down and play with anyone. Always works!

just strum
October 21st, 2007, 08:32 AM
Some of your best advise - when can you be here?

Rocket
October 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM
Some of your best advise - when can you be here?
Dude... tie a chicken leg, (or a beer,) around your neck and get a friend or two!

Seriously... I'm all travelled out for a while. We would like to get up to Cedar Point next year though.

just strum
October 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM
Dude... tie a chicken leg, (or a beer,) around your neck and get a friend or two!

Seriously... I'm all travelled out for a while. We would like to get up to Cedar Point next year though.

It's always a scheduling issue - the planned session this weekend was interrupted by - unplanned trip to Indiana and the other guys wife deciding on giving birth to their second child - Damn, where the hell are peoples priorities these days?

As for Cedar Point, give me advanced notice and we'll set up a room at the house. It won't be four star, but it will be home cooking, room to stretch, guitars to play and maybe a visit to the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame.

Lev
October 22nd, 2007, 03:43 AM
Right now I am just picking up on various little lessons (the free DVD from Truefire that Marnold posted as an example). It really serves as a bridge to allow me to continue to advance, but it really has no defined "next step". That said, does anyone have recommendations for learning techniques or lessons, besides sitting with an instructor?

I guess you need to set out what the next step is for you. Is there a particular technique that you really want to master (soloing, chords, hybrid pickin, improvising etc.)? If so is there a particular style that you'd like to concentrate on? Within that style is there a particular player that you'd like to emulate?

For example right now I'm trying to learn some country guitar. I can't expect to learn everything so I'm concentrating on the Danny Gatton lessons on www.guitarplayertv.com and Roberts Hybrid picking lesson on dolphinstreet. I also went out and bought a Brad Paisley CD to train my ear to the chord changes and phrasing. Then as I learn I'm referencing a couple of theory books that I have and this thread http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4428 to figure out what modes and scales I'm using.

Last year I did someting similar with John Mayers guitar style. Over time you add more strings to your bow and you find when you're improvising or writing music you've streached your boundaries that little bit further. So what works for me is
1. define a short term goal for your playing
2. set a timeline to achieve that goal
3. use youtube, theFret, dolphinstreet, guitarplayertv, books, magazines to get you started
4. once you've mastered a technique/style have a look at the theory behind it so that you can re-use in your playing.
5. have fun!! if it's a chore then you probably need to redefine what your original goal was - take small steps that can be accomplished within a reasonable time frame and build from there.

Hope this helps

sunvalleylaw
October 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
I guess you need to set out what the next step is for you. Is there a particular technique that you really want to master (soloing, chords, hybrid pickin, improvising etc.)? If so is there a particular style that you'd like to concentrate on? Within that style is there a particular player that you'd like to emulate? . . . . .

. . . Last year I did someting similar with John Mayers guitar style. Over time you add more strings to your bow and you find when you're improvising or writing music you've streached your boundaries that little bit further. So what works for me is
1. define a short term goal for your playing
2. set a timeline to achieve that goal
3. use youtube, theFret, dolphinstreet, guitarplayertv, books, magazines to get you started
4. once you've mastered a technique/style have a look at the theory behind it so that you can re-use in your playing.
5. have fun!! if it's a chore then you probably need to redefine what your original goal was - take small steps that can be accomplished within a reasonable time frame and build from there.

Hope this helps
Hey Lev, that is a good idea with some decent structure and focus, which I need. Combine that with Jimi75s post on Pareto's Rule (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2852) applied to guitar practice and that is my aim this year. How did you approach John's style? As you know from my Friday post, that is a goal for me this year.

just strum
October 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Hey Lev, that is a good idea with some decent structure and focus, which I need. Combine that with Jimi75s post on Perato's Rule (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2852) applied to guitar practice and that is my aim this year. How did you approach John's style? As you know from my Friday post, that is a goal for me this year.

Well today I was at work and leaned over a partition and threw out my back. Can't lift a guitar, so at least for a day or two (I hope no longer) I will have plenty of time to read the recommended material.

Rocket
October 22nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Well today I was at work and leaned over a partition and threw out my back. Can't lift a guitar, so at least for a day or two.
Dude... you're a medical disaster! You need to apply for SSDI and retire.
(pssst... Ernie's house across the street is still up for sale.)

just strum
October 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Dude... you're a medical disaster! You need to apply for SSDI and retire.
(pssst... Ernie's house across the street is still up for sale.)

first time that it ever happened.

too humid.

Oh, and there's the money part and the difficulty of selling a house right now.

Rocket
October 22nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
first time that it ever happened.

too humid.

Oh, and there's the money part and the difficulty of selling a house right now.
First time: With a back first time only means there will be more times.

Humid: What humidity?... Ever hear of A/C?

Difficulty selling: Yeah... that what Ernie is learning too.

Hey... I gave it a shot!

luvmyshiner
October 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
You have my sympathy Strum. My back went out the first time about two years ago. Took a trip to the Bahamas to get it ironed out. Went out again about two months ago. Each time it seems to take about six months to get back to normal. Hang in there brother. I've discovered that cursing very loudly seems to help (oh, don't forget to drink lots of beer . . . doctor's orders).:beer:

P.S., unfortunately Rocket's right. The first time is usually followed by . . . second, third, fourth, you get the idea.:deadhorse:

just strum
October 22nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
You have my sympathy Strum. My back went out the first time about two years ago. Took a trip to the Bahamas to get it ironed out. Went out again about two months ago. Each time it seems to take about six months to get back to normal. Hang in there brother. I've discovered that cursing very loudly seems to help (oh, don't forget to drink lots of beer . . . doctor's orders).:beer:

It was a freakish thing. I leaned over the partition, turned back toward my phone and BAM, I couldn't bend over without a struggle and then I couldn't straighten up. This sucks and I can't believe that this could last six months.

just strum
October 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
First time: With a back first time only means there will be more times.

Humid: What humidity?... Ever hear of A/C?

Difficulty selling: Yeah... that what Ernie is learning too.

Hey... I gave it a shot!

Keep trying - try mentioning it in January/February - then I might be tempted to abandon our house.

YerDugliness
October 22nd, 2007, 07:37 PM
It was a freakish thing. I leaned over the partition, turned back toward my phone and BAM, I couldn't bend over without a struggle and then I couldn't straighten up. This sucks and I can't believe that this could last six months.

That's the way it happened to my mom back in the early 1960's. She bent over to pick up one of my brother's toys and ended up in a hospital bed in traction for 6 weeks. Her back never did get completely healed, but as time went on it happened less and less frequently. There's hope, Strum!!

Get well, bro--the more time you spend recuperating this time, the less often it will happen. The first cut is the deepest!!

Dugly :cool:

Spudman
October 22nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
Just Strum and other newbies

I'm very sorry to hear about your health issues JS. This however needs to be discussed elsewhere. We should probably try to stick with the topic.

just strum
October 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Hey Lev, that is a good idea with some decent structure and focus, which I need. Combine that with Jimi75s post on Pareto's Rule (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2852) applied to guitar practice and that is my aim this year. How did you approach John's style? As you know from my Friday post, that is a goal for me this year.

I'm familiar with Pareto's Rule, but never thought about it being applied to guitar practice. Just one of many approaches to progressing - finding what works for the individual is a big step.

just strum
October 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM
It is a cold damp day here in Northern Ohio, with a drizzle/mist that was present all day. I couldn't cut the lawn, couldn't trim or rake leaves -IT IS THE PERFECT TIME TO PLAY GUITAR!!!

I am happy to report that I entered "The Zone" today. The chords and notes were precise and clean, everything moved in a natural flow, new lesson material was grasped with relative ease.

I messed with the sounds and tones coming from the AD30VT and combined with the Epi Dot it was just a perfect day.

Still have some time to play and I'm still feeling "IT". Enough of a break - Gotta Go.

duhvoodooman
October 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Same weather here, and I spent the day that same way. NICE!!! :DR

just strum
October 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Yep, definitely a good day. DVM (not to be confused with DMV on the other guitar site), I checked out your site. Actually got my attention with your AD30VT and went and looked around the site - interesting stuff.

On the nontechnical side, I like the cloth that you put on your amp. I was thinking of shedding the burger grill and your step by step makes it more inviting to do. I'll PM you at a later date regarding that.

just strum
July 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
...I am happy to report that I entered "The Zone" today. The chords and notes were precise and clean, everything moved in a natural flow, new lesson material was grasped with relative ease.

I messed with the sounds and tones coming from the AD30VT and combined with the Epi Dot it was just a perfect day.

Still have some time to play and I'm still feeling "IT". Enough of a break - Gotta Go.

I hit a tremendous "zone" last night or I should say this morning as I was up to 4:00AM. I actually played this morning to the point I was slowly falling forward as I was falling asleep, yet still playing the guitar.

I just hit a zone that seemed to last 3+ hours and I lost total track of time.

Hitting the Zone is such a great feeling.

When you've been in the zone it is like a musical orgasm, and when it's over all you want to do is hug your guitar and light up a cigarette (even if you are a non-smoker).

tot_Ou_tard
July 20th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I hit a tremendous "zone" last night or I should say this morning as I was up to 4:00AM. I actually played this morning to the point I was slowly falling forward as I was falling asleep, yet still playing the guitar.

I just hit a zone that seemed to last 3+ hours and I lost total track of time.

Hitting the Zone is such a great feeling.

When you've been in the zone it is like a musical orgasm, and when it's over all you want to do is hug your guitar and light up a cigarette (even if you are a non-smoker).
That's Keith Richard's method.

Although, the nodding was usually induced.

dws
July 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM
To cover a few things:

Strum, sorry about the back. But, hey, if you want to keep positive, tell yourself that the reason you got into the zone is because of your back!

If I consider myself in a rut, a time when I seem to be playing similar material when improvising, I'll listen to something/someone I haven't listened to in a while. That has helped me out every time the "ruts" have come about thusfar...

I was just thinking that "the ruts" are a better problem to have than "the runs."