PDA

View Full Version : Article - Rick Ruben on the music industry

Spudman
September 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Here is a really good long read about the music industry and a great perspective from the great producer Rick Ruben.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/magazine/02rubin.t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&adxnnl=0&adxnnlx=1188748949-8/Ca7x8sfybXt2ERiVv6gA&oref=slogin

tunghaichuan
September 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Spudman,

Thanks for posting that. Great read.

It will be interesting to see if Rick Rubin can pull the music industry out of its death spiral. At least Sony seems to be taking a step in the right direction in partnering with Rubin.

Although, after all the dirty underhanded tricks the music industry has heaped on its artists, part of me wants to see the inustry crash. One thing history teaches is that people never seem to learn their lessons.

The music industry is scared and they should be. It used to be that they actually did provide several services for their artists: state of the art recording facilities, a trained engineer, promotion and distribution channels. Computer technology has replaced the formerly expensive recording studio with inexpensive digital audio work stations. The trained engineer is problematic, although bands that now record and produce their own music seem to do fine without one. The death of radio has killed off promotion, and the internet has made the recording industry's distribution channels obsolete. So the real question is what does the recording industry have to offer musicians? Nothing as far as I can tell.

The one thing that the industry should do, but hasn't done for a long time is nuture bands, i.e., provide mentoring by seasoned professionals. The emergent paradigm of signing artists, recording artists (and thereby acquiring the copyrights to said artists' songs), making mone off of artists, and leaving artists broke, in debt with no possible way to pay the studio's monetary advances. The recording industry has become a fleecing mechanism to make the maximum amount of profit for the studio, but give nothing back to the artists who actually create the music.

Then there is the illusion of the RockStar Lifestyle(tm), party all night, free drugs, an endless supply of groupies, lots of money. It is an illusion to trap bands into contracts which ultimately leave them disillusioned and peniless. Sure there are some who "make it" but this is a concession to the chosen few to make the illusion seem real and attainable.

The next few years will be interesting to watch.

Tung

Here is a really good long read about the music industry and a great perspective from the great producer Rick Ruben.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/magazine/02rubin.t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&adxnnl=0&adxnnlx=1188748949-8/Ca7x8sfybXt2ERiVv6gA&oref=slogin

Spudman
September 23rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
. So the real question is what does the recording industry have to offer musicians? Nothing as far as I can tell.

Tung

I think it's still going to have to be about distribution and promotion. There is still a large segment of purchasers who for a reasonable price would like to own a physical disc and artwork.
If someone can get more units out then that should equate to higher sales and that is what the artist wants in the end - people listening to their work.
Unless someone other than the record companies can do this in the near future it is going to be left in the hands of those that have this experience.

Plank_Spanker
September 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
The music industry as we see it today is in it's death throes. It's lashing out and blaming internet downloaders for all it's woes, when all it needs to do is look within.........................

The industry is ruled by corporate suits and lawyers. They're in bed with the rest of the corporate world - seeking quick kills with little investment. They could care less about nurturing promising bands and appeasing their market. They rape the bands, rape the market...................and count their money. Due to the control of radio and the rest of media, they're even able to school you on what they want to be cool - cookie cutter shite. But this model is falling apart at the seams.

AND..........................they missed the internet boat. They didn't count on all of the rest of those bands and artists being heard. They were, and it revealed major music as a hollow shell game. Now, Pandora'a box has been opened and the public is calling their hand..................

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
I for one like to buy a real disc with real artwork. Even if it is just a bar band that I like that is touring, or like Tony Furtado and Johnny Neel that were just here, essentially following Dick Dale's model by selling their music themselves at the concert. It is convenient to download off of iTunes, and I do that. But I like to get a disc if I can. There has to be a reasonable way to distribute and promote that. Problem is, the only places I know within 150 miles of me to buy music is Starbucks, (closest), Walmart or Target, or Borders/Barnes and Noble. Bleh! :whatever: I would have to learn more about subscription service before I like that idea. Call me old school, but I like to own the recordings I pay for and archive them in some way.

I think it's still going to have to be about distribution and promotion. There is still a large segment of purchasers who for a reasonable price would like to own a physical disc and artwork.
If someone can get more units out then that should equate to higher sales and that is what the artist wants in the end - people listening to their work.
Unless someone other than the record companies can do this in the near future it is going to be left in the hands of those that have this experience.

LagrangeCalvert
September 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
Well....there are a FEW...a select few BIG labels that are adapting to life in the info age....one of those companies being RCA (whom my band is in talks with) and SONY is trying with lackluster results. Now indie labels and self production/promotion IS taking over. These companies wield a power greater than any musician could fight and that power is a CRAPLOAD of money. Like the saying goes, money talks bullsh*t walks. Its the ARTIST job to secure a good deal not the label. They run a business not a charity so yeah I can understand their frustration with the piracy but at the same time freedom of press is nice. AND these companies provide 401K, stock options, health care not to mention the publicity and can get the artists the gigs they want.

Another thing I believe with all my heart (close your eyes if your morals are too tight) is that anyone who picks up the guitar who is a teen or in the late twenties does it for a couple reasons BEYOND THE MUSIC.... who doesn't want to be rich, get all the girls and have all the thrills...I for one DO. Part of the allure of the music thing IS just that - to be a rockstar who feed groupies to sharks and chokes on their own puke. I love how people see these big companies as monsters but don't take into the consideration that these monsters do so much for US. & Europe's music industry from tours to getting artists seen.....BUT with all the stated reasons WHY its impossible to thrive I agree....most big labels are dinosarusly gonna loose...and yes I made that last adj. up! The only thang fo sho is were all gonna keep makin music weather companies help us or not.

Spudman
September 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
The only thang fo sho is were all gonna keep makin music whether companies help us or not.

That is what it be brutha. (soul power salute):AOK:

Mark
September 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Quote: At least Sony seems to be taking a step in the right direction in partnering with Rubin.

The same Sony that has been busted twice sneaking rootkits on peoples computers? May the music biz in its current form die a slow death.