PDA

View Full Version : Well That's Just Great

t_ross33
September 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Had some time to kill yesterday, so stopped by my local music merchant to hang out, see whuzzup and soak up the vibe. Someone (I'm guessing one of our local teenage punk rock musicians) had traded in an Ibanez RG something or other. Pretty cool, EMG p'ups, Floyd Rose trem, finish sanded down to the bare wood cuz it had been spray painted dayglo pink at some point. I had to test it out, even though I have very little use for such a machine. Those EMGs are feakin' hot p'ups! Instant shreddilicious, if I could shred :D

Which brings me to the point of this post in the Stratocaster forum... I pulled a Jay Turser Strat copy off the wall and played around on it for awhile. It wasn't a great guitar by any stretch of the imagination, the neck was really wack, but it offered somewhat Stat-like tones, very different from my Tele and, obviously, my semi-hollowbody. So now I think I need to add a Strat(ish) git to my collection (which is quite meager if one were to measure it on the Spudometer scale :rotflmao: ).

Where to start? Do I pick up something economical like a Squier or SX, or save up for the real McCoy? My ear has been developing as has my playing since I've been gigging on a somewhat regular basis, so I can actually tell the difference between guitars :D, and know good tone when I hear it. What's a guy to do? :confused:

marnold
September 23rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
I say go for an SX or a used MIM Fender.

ted s
September 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
I've picked up 2 new Jay Turser vintage series Strats in the past 8 months (gave my brother one) I have nothing bad to say about them.
Even if they were absolute crap (not these 2), for $100 they would look good hanging on the wall.

Robert
September 23rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
I'd say a MIM Fender. They are not that expensive, but still very good guitars.

just strum
September 23rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
What is a MIM Fender?

SuperSwede
September 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
What is a MIM Fender?

Made In Mexico

marnold
September 23rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
What is a MIM Fender?
SuperSwede gave the proper definition. Usually the MIMs are referred to as "Standard" Strats as opposed to "American Standard" Strats which would be MIA (Made in America).

Now that I think about it, you could also get a Floyd Rose DST-1. That's got all single coils plus the Floyd Rose Speedloader trem. I think MF still has them for $149.

t_ross33
September 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
SuperSwede gave the proper definition. Usually the MIMs are referred to as "Standard" Strats as opposed to "American Standard" Strats which would be MIA (Made in America).

Now that I think about it, you could also get a Floyd Rose DST-1. That's got all single coils plus the Floyd Rose Speedloader trem. I think MF still has them for $149.

Hmmm... something to think about, especially with the Canadian dollar being worth like, uhm... $1 USD! right now. Makes buying across the border pretty attractive :AOK:

That speed loader system might be a PITA as my local music store doesn't stock the strings (they are special strings are they not?).

I threw down a bid on a nice MIM Standard Strat on eBay. I kinda lowballed it so we'll see what happens. Doesn't close until next weekend. My wife is gonna kill me :spank:

Trev

Fingers
September 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
Get an MIJ Strat, Made in Japan, sometimes referred to as Crafted in Japan.........The standard is astonishing .............You get better than MIA for less than MIM.............Same with Tele's

:AOK:

Tim
September 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM

Or Made in Asia.

Plank_Spanker
September 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Don't compromise for the sake of economy. Buy a guitar that sets your hair on fire every time you pick it up - and it could very be an "economy guitar". Buying a guitar that you have any inkling of doubt with will eventually transform that guitar to a dust collector.

Play a bunch. Seek "The One". You'll know it when you have it in your hands.

sunvalleylaw
September 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah, play a bunch. And I just have to say, my special model MIM was better than the regular MIM's in the shops I shopped in. A used one of those might be great. The JV strat is the other one in a moderate price range that really seems to be a good deal. That's all I know. And I do know that my strat gives me that feeling Plank is referring too. I got lucky buying it as a full on newb. I know lots more now and still really love it. :)

ted s
September 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Set's your hair on fire.. I like that Plank, I'm going to use that ok ?

t_ross33
September 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Don't compromise for the sake of economy. Buy a guitar that sets your hair on fire every time you pick it up - and it could very be an "economy guitar". Buying a guitar that you have any inkling of doubt with will eventually transform that guitar to a dust collector.

Play a bunch. Seek "The One". You'll know it when you have it in your hands.

Thanks Spanker (BTW, don't ever change your avatar to this: :whatever: ). I'll wait to see if my ridiculously low bid on eBay sticks, I'm not holding my breath, and then take my time to find "THE ONE" and save up. I don't NEED a Strat, it'd just be cool for the tonal variety.

Then all I need is a LP and I'll be set :Dude:

Trev

t_ross33
September 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
I've picked up 2 new Jay Turser vintage series Strats in the past 8 months (gave my brother one) I have nothing bad to say about them.
Even if they were absolute crap (not these 2), for $100 they would look good hanging on the wall.

Hmmm... the one here has a sticker price of $275 more or less. It sounds not-too-bad, but the neck feels kinda cheap and I think it might be warped. For $100 I might be tempted, but I may as well throw in a few more bucks for a real Strat at that price. I'll keep ya posted.

Trev

Plank_Spanker
September 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Trev,

I've been down that road a few miles. I know that you will find a guitar that really stokes your fire. :D

ted s
September 23rd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Hmmm... the one here has a sticker price of $275 more or less. Trev

ya, I see what your saying, not for $275. The shop in my town has them for $99.95.
That put's a different spin on it.
Bit of a drive from 'Skatch to pick one up though..:rolleyes:

you can see the red one here. http://www.box.net/shared/2n82z2zi6z

Justaguyin_nc
September 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Trev,

I've been down that road a few miles. I know that you will find a guitar that really stokes your fire. :D

Yup... theres nothing wrong with that road... in my short time messing with guitars I already did the strat thing and it keeps growing... and each one at it's time was ok by me.. epiphone strat copy.. St Scorpion Fat Strat Copy.. Squier51 similar body..OLP pertucci..similar body.. than a MIM 60's Vintage..I thought that was it.. then a Jimmie Vaughan.. I think this is it!! Even thought of buying a second one like it with different pickups... which ever you choose.. it wont be your last...:) look around at all these 30+ year players..they are still searching them out...heh
:Dude:

As for Jay Turser..I had a Les Paul copy with Carvin buckers and cherry sunburst... it was nicely made.. gave it to one of my kids.. they make pretty nice guitars.. if you find them in the lower price from what a Epiphone/fender would cost.. but if your near the price...go for it..don't think you will regret it.. my 2 cents..enjoy the journey..

Brian Krashpad
September 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I'll second the idea of a MIM Fender Strat. Basically, I'm not a Strat guy (more into Teles and LP's), but I like to have one of some kind around. I had a 90's MIM Fender Strat for awhile and it suited my purposes fine. I found mine in a pawn for $150 US.

I eventually sold the MIM to a kid from my church who was looking for his first decent guitar, and I knew he liked mine. I later replaced the MIM Strat with a used Peavey USA Predator from the 90's, which I got on Ebay for $100 US. Basically same guitar as the MIM in terms of features, wood, and construction, just a different name on the headstock. They later made an "International Series" import Predator I don't know anything about, but in general the USA Predators have a good rep, and are still pretty cheap. If you don't get a MIM Fender you should consider a USA Peavey.

Here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/CandySmaller.jpg

Spudman
September 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
but in general the USA Predators have a good rep, and are still pretty cheap. If you don't get a MIM Fender you should consider a USA Peavey.

Here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/CandySmaller.jpg

The bodies are poplar just in case anyone was wondering, and they are an excellent value.

marnold
September 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
The bodies are poplar just in case anyone was wondering, and they are an excellent value.
I had an old Peavey US Fury P bass that I'd give anything (almost) to have back again. Lots of bang for very little buck.

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
T-Ross, didn't you use to own a Peavey Geetar?

stingx
September 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM
http://www.stubble.org/temp/jv-glow.jpg

I love my Strat. I'd climb into the case and pork it if I could...

The guitar you end up with is the one that calls you. It's the one you cannot bring yourself to leave the store without. See now that's how you know you made the right choice.

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I love my Strat. I'd climb into the case and pork it if I could...

LOL! Yeah, I know how you feel. That looks like a good sig line to me! :rotflmao: :beer:

t_ross33
September 24th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Yes, SVL, I had a Peavey Generation EXP which was kinda like a HSS strat in a tele-type body. It was kinda cool, but the body style started to grate on me cuz it just wasn't a Tele. How shallow is that :rotflmao: Plus I really wanted that classic Tele spank from a single coil in the bridge position, so down the road it went.

My bass player has a Peavey Raptor similar to Krashpad's, but his ex-wife has it so I might not be able to get my hands on it :wink: It'd work for me tho.

Funny, I had an opportunity to buy a near mint 90's American Strat, but at that time it was a) pricey and b) what I felt to be too much guitar for my meager "talents". Don't know why Stats intimidate me so. I've always felt that I'm more of a Tele or LP Jr. guy: a plank and a p'up, what more could you need :D

Still winning the eBay auction, so who knows.

My wife is gonna kill me...

Trev

t_ross33
September 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Yes, SVL, I had a Peavey Generation EXP which was kinda like a HSS strat in a tele-type body. It was kinda cool, but the body style started to grate on me cuz it just wasn't a Tele. How shallow is that :rotflmao: Plus I really wanted that classic Tele spank from a single coil in the bridge position, so down the road it went.

My bass player has a Peavey Raptor similar to Krashpad's, but it's at his ex-wife's so I might not be able to get my hands on it :spank: It'd work for me tho.

Funny, I had an opportunity to buy a near mint 90's American Strat, but at that time it was a) pricey and b) what I felt to be too much guitar for my meager "talents".

Don't know why Stats intimidate me so. I've always felt that I'm more of a Tele or LP Jr. guy: a plank and a p'up, what more could you need :D

Still winning the eBay auction, so who knows.

My wife is gonna kill me...

Trev

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Trev, heck you've been playing since you were a pup. No need to let a strat intimidate the likes of you, fine sir! I am a rank beginner, and it is what I started out with. I think they are great, versatile instruments that can get very soulful in tone, IMHO. I love mine. Like I have said a bunch, that is just the one that felt right to me. I bet there are some here that get tired of this newb saying that. But, what the heck, it is what I feel about it. I'd say listen to the good folks here to narrow it down some and go play some 'til you find the right one and the timing is right. As to that auction, if you way underbid, it will probably get beat in the last hours or minutes. I did the same thing once on some GAS item. Well, whatever happens with the auction, you will get a good one for you when the time is right.

t_ross33
September 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Trev, heck you've been playing since you were a pup. No need to let a strat intimidate the likes of you, fine sir! I am a rank beginner, and it is what I started out with. I think they are great, versatile instruments that can get very soulful in tone, IMHO. I love mine. Like I have said a bunch, that is just the one that felt right to me. I bet there are some here that get tired of this newb saying that. But, what the heck, it is what I feel about it. I'd say listen to the good folks here to narrow it down some and go play some 'til you find the right one and the timing is right. As to that auction, if you way underbid, it will probably get beat in the last hours or minutes. I did the same thing once on some GAS item. Well, whatever happens with the auction, you will get a good one for you when the time is right.

:rotflmao: you have way more confidence in my playing ability than I do SVL. I guess I'm still hung up on being a bass player and not a "real" guitar player :D I've always had a good ear as far as music goes, finding the right key to play in etc., but my ear for tone has been developing now as well. Hence, the silly idea that I may need yet one more guitar to round out my collection of tone machines.

My wife is gonna kill me... :spank:

Trev

marnold
September 25th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I noticed that MF got some more of the SSS Discoveries in stock. If you want one, I wouldn't wait around too long.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Floyd-Rose-Discovery-Series-DST1-Electric-Guitar?sku=511820

sunvalleylaw
September 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
:rotflmao: you have way more confidence in my playing ability than I do SVL. I guess I'm still hung up on being a bass player and not a "real" guitar player :D I've always had a good ear as far as music goes, finding the right key to play in etc., but my ear for tone has been developing now as well. Hence, the silly idea that I may need yet one more guitar to round out my collection of tone machines.

My wife is gonna kill me... :spank:

Trev

Hey man, I guess that is because of your feeling about performing that is obvious in your photos and your stories about your family history with music, and because your myspace site lists 14 engagements on the main calendar that shows up! :Dude: Go git yourself a strat and rock on Dude!

Brian Krashpad
September 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM
My bass player has a Peavey Raptor similar to Krashpad's, but his ex-wife has it so I might not be able to get my hands on it :wink: It'd work for me tho.

Fwiw, you can usually get the USA Predators for about the same as an import Raptor and though any individual guitar might be comparable, I'd bet your percentages on getting a keeper are higher with the Predator.

Brian Krashpad
September 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM

That's correct. The 90's MIM Strats were poplar too; apparently alder prices were high then. Both the 90's MIMs and the Peavey also had ceramic pickups. Only difference I can recall between the 90's MIMs and Predators is that the Peavey's frets are a bit bigger (MIMs had "vintage" frets) and the Predator has 22 rather than the MIM's 21 frets.

Re poplar, I've never really noticed a tonal difference. I also have a Tex-Mex Tele that's poplar (also from the 90's), possibly with an alder or ash veneer (it is a sunburst and poplar is usually only used on solids due to it's tendency to have greenish streaks), and it sounds fine too.

sunvalleylaw
September 25th, 2007, 12:45 PM
The '06 MIMs got the larger frets and improved larger higm mass bridge blocks, shielded body cavities (better for those strip searches), and a decent gig bag. Mine had the tex mex pups too. I am not sure how that compares with the Predators. I would think Trev should take Plank's advice and go find some to play. That is if he isn't too busy getting spanked by his wife because he won the auction for the ebay one. :spank: :D

t_ross33
September 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM
The '06 MIMs got the larger frets and improved larger higm mass bridge blocks, shielded body cavities (better for those strip searches), and a decent gig bag. Mine had the tex mex pups too. I am not sure how that compares with the Predators. I would think Trev should take Plank's advice and go find some to play. That is if he isn't too busy getting spanked by his wife because he won the auction for the ebay one. :spank: :D

Yeah, I'll be test driving some in the near future. The eBay deal got away on me , but I didn't have my heart set on it anyway. More of a "let's see what happens" situation. So no :spank: for me just yet.

:beer:

sunvalleylaw
September 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM
That a boy. Now you can take your time and get what you want. From what you said, you were just testing the waters anyway with that low ball bid.

BTW, if this guitar thing keeps on going with me (and I expect it will) my collection may end up looking a little like yours but coming at it from a different path. I would love to end up with an LP or Tele, and a hollowbody, sometime down the line. Way down the line probably. :beer:

Spudman
September 25th, 2007, 03:37 PM
That's correct. The 90's MIM Strats were poplar too; apparently alder prices were high then. Both the 90's MIMs and the Peavey also had ceramic pickups. Only difference I can recall between the 90's MIMs and Predators is that the Peavey's frets are a bit bigger (MIMs had "vintage" frets) and the Predator has 22 rather than the MIM's 21 frets.

Re poplar, I've never really noticed a tonal difference. I also have a Tex-Mex Tele that's poplar (also from the 90's), possibly with an alder or ash veneer (it is a sunburst and poplar is usually only used on solids due to it's tendency to have greenish streaks), and it sounds fine too.

That's right the frets are bigger on the Predator. These abound in pawn shops.

I have some Peavey poplar guitars and a MIM from 92-93. The Fender is more resonant than the Peaveys, and lighter too. Generally my alder guitars sound just a little bit more alive than the poplar. Probably not enough to be overly fussy about. Still the USA Predators are a great value. Shhhh.