PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm back...lol

Rabies
September 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM
:beer:

It's been a long quest for tone, but ultimately, I ended up right back where I started.

Long story short...Several months ago, I traded my AD30VT off for another amp, and sold that amp and got another, and sold that amp and got another...you get the idea. I did, along the way, settle on an old Fender Champ as a keeper.

But as funny as it may seem...I just got the AD30VT back...SAME EXACT ONE I had. :D And oh my goodness...I don't care what anybody says...I'd say I'm a bit of a purist as far as amps go, but I don't care...These things are awesome!!

Solid State, half solid state, hybrid, whatever you want to call this little thing. It is just one bad a** little amp. I'm so glad it's back. We just got done getting to know each other again...for about 2 hours... :Dude:

Anyway...just letting you people know...if you are thinking that it could get a little better than your Valvetronix amp...please, take my advice...just hold onto it because you will probably regret it! :AOK:

Robert
September 23rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Haha, great thread! I think I'll keep mine forever, since it's useful for so many different purposes and styles. The only thing I'd prefer would be a head version, but oh well.

tot_Ou_tard
September 24th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Glad to hear that you are back to liking your Valvetronix.

Still have my AD30VT, but now it has a friend in a Fender Champion 600 with NOS tubes.

I'm planning on keeping them both.

Ger the man
September 24th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Have an AD50 myself, she is a keeper! But I would like a good fender amp too or maybe an old Roland Jazz Chorus.

sunvalleylaw
September 24th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Glad to hear that you are back to liking your Valvetronix.

Still have my AD30VT, but now it has a friend in a Fender Champion 600 with NOS tubes.

I'm planning on keeping them both.

That is funny! I almost bought that amp from you. Now, I have my tube amp I bought to start with, and having been lead here by the Vox amps, and hope to add one down the road. I keep seeing links to other new amps, but keep coming back to this one as the most versatile one to add.

duhvoodooman
September 24th, 2007, 09:57 AM
They'll take my AD30VT when they pry my cold, dead pedal chain from it! Or something like that.... ;) :D

TS808
September 24th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Long story short...Several months ago, I traded my AD30VT off for another amp, and sold that amp and got another, and sold that amp and got another...you get the idea. I did, along the way, settle on an old Fender Champ as a keeper.

I did something similar. I initially started with the AD100VT and wound up trading it in, trying another amp, etc....But later on wound up getting the AD50VT212 and installing a set of Celestion G12 Century Neos (which might sound crazy on an amp that cost $450 new), but the longer I have the amp, and in comparison to some of the others I've tried and played, I'm really liking the Valvetronix more and more. It sounds better than some of the production tube amps I've tried.

Rabies
September 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM
It really is just an awesome amp. You can get so many sounds out of these things...it's ridiculous really. I've heard so many other modeling amps (that were all completely solid state..even PODS and Toneports {although the Toneports are pretty nice too}), and they just do not even compare to the sounds you can get out of these things. Plus great sounding built in effects.

Bang for the buck, hype, yadda yadda yadda. If you want a good amp, and I mean good all around, the Vox AD series 30 and up are the way to go. LOTS of bang for the buck.

All you newer players and Fretters...get one folks...I know Robert really glamorizes them with his DolphinStreet site, but really...They ARE all that and a bag of chips...and more!!

Robert
September 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I glamorize them? :) Haha, well it's just a cheap modeling amp, but I sure like it. It's hard not to, considering the price point, versatility and tones. Hard to beat.

Rabies
September 25th, 2007, 04:03 AM
I glamorize them? :) Haha, well it's just a cheap modeling amp, but I sure like it. It's hard not to, considering the price point, versatility and tones. Hard to beat.

Man, do you know how many people have seen you play some stuff out of one of these things and then go out and buy one? There's no way to really know, but I bet the figure would be astounding. :D

Tim
September 25th, 2007, 05:10 AM
I am thinking of turning my AD30VT into a head only. I was going to remove the "little black box" and put it in it's own case and then use the line out/phone jack to feed either a 12" speaker or a PA system. Has anybody done this before?

teejayh
September 25th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I did the same thing. I had a Vox AD120VT that i sold and bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, sold that and got a Peavey Delta Blues, sold that and bought a Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker, sold that and bought a Traynor YVC40, then a Marshall DSL401 and then back to the AD120VT with a VC12 floorboard. The deal on the 120&vc12 was great but the only thing now is I should sell one of the other amps and I don't know which one. The Vox is a great amp once you get to know now to use it correctly.

tot_Ou_tard
September 25th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Man, do you know how many people have seen you play some stuff out of one of these things and then go out and buy one? There's no way to really know, but I bet the figure would be astounding. :D

I had already pretty much decided to buy one & then saw Robert's videos & that was that: Done Deal.

By the way, I think that Vood & I are unusual in finding out about The Fret through the pachtronix (a Vox Valvetronix) forum rather than through Dolphinstreet.

TS808
September 25th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Robert
You should call Vox and negotiate a "referral fee" :D

sunvalleylaw
September 25th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I had already pretty much decided to buy one & then saw Robert's videos & that was that: Done Deal.

By the way, I think that Vood & I are unusual in finding out about The Fret through the pachtronix (a Vox Valvetronix) forum rather than through Dolphinstreet.

Yes, you are unusual. . . . . :rotflmao: :beer:

sorry, just woke up. Early morning humor. :spank:

Rabies
September 25th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Actually, that's how I found TheFret, as well...through patchtronix. :AOK:

Algonquin
September 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Oh man, so if I happen to choose the Roland Cube30x over the Vox AD30VT... am I going to have to keep it a secret from you Gents? :rolleyes:

I did go to the store last week to demo one (Vox), but the sound room was occupied and I couldn't hang out any longer. I will give both consideration though.

Question for ALL you Vox users... I think I saw a dial on the back of the amp to drop the wattage. Is this really useful for getting 'driven' sounds at low output levels?

Cheers! :beer:

David

Rabies
September 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Question for ALL you Vox users... I think I saw a dial on the back of the amp to drop the wattage. Is this really useful for getting 'driven' sounds at low output levels?David

Absolutely...one of my favorite features.

If you were looking at one of these, and are also considering a Roland Cube, I'll bet 5 bucks you would like the Vox more...almost every online instance of the modeling amp debate, people recommend the Vox over all the others.

Get it...you will love it! So versatile, and sounds so good...:drool:

just strum
September 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I purchased my AD30VT about 6 months ago and did a lot of research and took in a lot of advise. Not knowing anything about amps, I was at the mercy of people I respected and the reviews I read. This thread just continues to confirm I made the right decision.

I imagine they are just like guitars and you may never be completely happy, but this amp takes care of my needs.

Algonquin, to answer your question - yes. I use it late at night when everyone is asleep and I retain the sound that I would have at 30 watts. Sure it isn't screaming at me, but it gives me true feedback of what I am trying to obtain. Make sense? Sorry, no technical garble from this beginner.

Tim
September 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
The dial on the back allows you to choose what output level you wish to play at. The value can be from 1 watt up to the 30 watts as advertised. Actually, anything about 20-25 watts is too loud for the amplifier. Everything begins to shake and vibrate. Extra little bits of good information is to keep the amp off the floor for better sound and to try and keep the handle up away from the top of the box. This minimizes vibration also. A speaker change will do wonders for it's tone. I am sure daVooDoo will add his own findings on the AD30VT.

tot_Ou_tard
September 26th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Yes, you are unusual. . . . . :rotflmao: :beer:

sorry, just woke up. Early morning humor. :spank:
Ahhh, you're just being nice. :D

tot_Ou_tard
September 26th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Absolutely...one of my favorite features.

If you were looking at one of these, and are also considering a Roland Cube, I'll bet 5 bucks you would like the Vox more...almost every online instance of the modeling amp debate, people recommend the Vox over all the others.

Get it...you will love it! So versatile, and sounds so good...:drool:
I've seen very knowledgable people in a forum prefer the Roland. People are looking for different things. The one thing that the Cubes have is a nice JC-120 model (duh-it's a Roland).

pes_laul
September 26th, 2007, 07:27 PM
i've played through those and once or twice and i got to say they really rock:Dude: