PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless Nights

Myles
February 23rd, 2006, 03:00 AM
As technically a new day begins again, it's pretty apparent that I'm not going to be getting too much sleep again tonight. When I'm having a good week I average about 6.5 hours of sleep. I'd like to think that by sleeping for 10 hours on the weekends that I'm somehow catching up and that afterwords I'll be on track to get a solid 8 hours sleep all week, but even if that lasts more than a day I manage to compensate with some ridiculious 4 hour nights of sleep to maintain my under 7 hour slumber average.

Any fellow night hawks out there?

SuperSwede
February 23rd, 2006, 03:07 AM
That seems like a very unhealthy way of living, but I have to admit that I have a similiar sleep pattern... We have a 5 month old boy so sleeping many hours in a row is regarded as a luxuary here :(

Tone2TheBone
February 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM
SS - I remember those days.

My oldest daughter and I are night owls. We could stay up all night if we could. On certain days I am dead tired mentally and I'll go home and crash early. Thats usually on Monday evenings. The rest of the week I'm good. I do sleep more on weekends though too...probably to catch up like Vital does.

SuperSwede
February 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
My oldest daughter is six years old so I kind of had forgot how much sleep you missed every night when they are so small...

Justaguyin_nc
February 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Well, I guess as you get older and older sleep don't seem to matter much.. I use to be able to sleep 12 hours without a thought.. but since I hit 40ish and over I guess 5 hours is the norm.. Alarm is actually set for 5 and usually awake before it goes off.. although there is the day I can get 7 to 9... Oh, and this also now includes the average nap on the couch come evening or after a meal.. so I guess I got add in those 30 minutes... It's gotten to the point like... I don't want to sleep I might miss something.. what a waste...

warren0728
February 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
i have never been a good sleeper...usually sllep for a couple of hours...wake up....go back to sleep...start over.

I have given up caffeine sodas and that helps a little. I think some people need less sleep than others. My doc did prescribe a sleeping pill (lunesta) but i don't take them very often.

ww

Spudman
February 23rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Justa

I'm with you man. I feel like the door is closing and I better get some living in before it does close all the way. If you know what I mean.

I found a way to keep cranking on 6 hours per night or less. I've been doing it since 1994 and almost every day. Some days you just gotta sleep though!
In 1994 I started taking Reliv which is a high quality nutritional supplement. At the time I was a professional athlete, working till 4 am as a sound engineer and training for my sport on weekdays. Then on weekends I would either race, gig or do 24 hours of catering. My friends were blown away because I could keep going longer than they could, I was still winning and I wasn't getting sick or breaking down. Oh, and the quality of the sleep I got became better.

I firmly believe now after supplementing for almost 12 years now every day that you can do with less sleep but you have to take GOOD care of the machine. The extra hours that I have every day are priceless. I even know of a Zen master who is not sleeping at all in this life time because he did that in the last one.