PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the Visual or Listening for it?

Justaguyin_nc
September 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Going off another thread..
Musicians, Artists, Guitarist, Bands in General.
What do you prefer/perfer.. listening to music.. or viewing a video on that music.

Visuals... now that is yet another way to display your artistic side along with musician.
Which alot of Guitarist can pull off well, while others fail in the visuals..
to me this takes away from the music....

I don't really mean live shows viewed..
say... SRV, Hendrix.. Artist's on stage..
Danny Gatton , guitar player on stage.. but a heck of one.

I mean the Videos/Movies they attach to their songs.

Like reading a book... as you picture the scenes..
I believe music, might be best left as this.
Many music videos in my opinion rune the songs for me.
But some..well, they open new doors.

some examples for me would be Pink Floyd "The Wall", which the movie for me was a big let down.
So I rate that as their Artistic side..not bad..
but my own visuals are better.

The album is great... and if I seen the movie first..
I would never have bought the album.
So the album gets the Musicians side thumbs up..
with gilmour as one heck of a guitar player.

but then there is meatloaf's videos of to hell and back.. (my opinion)
I really enjoyed those and did not know the meatloafed till then...
Both Video and music to me was artistic..

Gary Moore's video and his stage presence works well with "Still got the blues" An Artist and a Musician..

Although MTV VH1 CMT prove me wrong..
in the end...
I believe music should be viewed with the ears and not with the eyes..
other than live shows.. Musicians should leave the acting..well, to actors.
which do you prefer/perfer?

Spudman
September 26th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I like good videos with the music. I like to see if the artists message comes across differently than I envisioned it. Otherwise just give me the music.

One thing I just noticed 3 days ago...I had been listening to the new Kamelot album "Ghost Opera" and was slowly getting into it but I went on youtube and saw the latest video from the album and I was totally blown away. Whole different experience for me. What a great song!
dZbDOlkdeic

just strum
September 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I think video is dead. Like the song "Video Killed the Radio Star", I think video also killed itself. I do like videos where I can actually see the band perform, but a couple viewing and I'm done. I don't want to see stories with the music (a repeat of Duran Duran). Part of listening to the music is trying to determine what the message is. John Lennon would say "it's whatever you want it to be" and a video takes away from that. For years a lot of bands made it on their video merit and they really weren't true bands that could go out and kick butt.

More and more you are seeing performances or Rockumentaries. I prefer these as it gives you an insight to the person or the band. I like to hear what they were listening to when they decided to pick up the guitar, drums, keyboard... Or stories of the "early days".

Nope - video is dead.

Jimi75
September 27th, 2007, 01:17 AM
There are definitley good music videos out there (not on MTV of course!).

BUT, I think the following and later explain why I think so:

Sometimes the order in which music videos are made is "backwars".
Bands should write the lyrics and agree on a storyboard. Then the video should be shot, think of typical highlighted scenes every 50 seconds as this is going to be the refrain - then they should get a beamer, watch the video and make THE music to it!

Here's why:
As some of you know our little German creative team started with production music for television. We have a fix order now to create 10 clips for an A-level ego shooter game. Last monday we received the first rough trailer of the game and we beamed it on a white wall in the studio and started interpreting what we were seeing. I guarantee that the output would have been completely different hadn't we had the trailer/visualization, but also the scenes of the game would be pretty lame without the heavy riffing.

@just strum:
Video is dead - long live video!
The way they make their music videos today with bling bling and booty and girls is dead and dumb, but the ART of conglomerating Video with Music is definitely not dead. I love it to see Dreamtheater (progressive rock band) on tour and when they put up three monitors with perfectly shot scenes of landscapes, war, family, animation and so on that fits the music like a smooth sneaker!

By the way:
Very good thread!!!! :AOK:

Plank_Spanker
September 27th, 2007, 04:57 AM
I prefer to just listen to the music. I can form my own mental picture of it while I listen, not have a video producer's version chosen for me.

I do like high quality concert DVD's. I never tire of putting on "Pulse"........:D

tot_Ou_tard
September 27th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I prefer to just listen to the music. I can form my own mental picture of it while I listen, not have a video producer's version chosen for me.

I do like high quality concert DVD's. I never tire of putting on "Pulse"........:D I'm with Plank. Pure music, but I do like concert DVD's.

On the other hand, check this out:

Z9rhC2OsGYI

R_of_G
September 27th, 2007, 06:31 AM
I enjoy a good video when I see one, however, what you have to consider is that videos are typically made by a director who is not part of the band and was not in the process of creating the song, therefore his/her vision as to what the song is "about" is often no more "correct" than any of ours would be. For the most part the artists that I listen to don't have videos, but some of the ones that do, have put out some interesting ones [Radiohead in particular comes to mind]. As far as live performance videos, those I enjoy thoroughly if the performance is good.

Tone2TheBone
September 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I'm with Plank also. I put Pulse on constantly. Love concert footage to see what everyone is doing during the passages. Also love my iPod tunes in my truck. Both rock.

sunvalleylaw
September 27th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Going off another thread..
Musicians, Artists, Guitarist, Bands in General.
What do you prefer/perfer.. listening to music.. or viewing a video on that music.

Visuals... now that is yet another way to display your artistic side along with musician.
Which alot of Guitarist can pull off well, while others fail in the visuals..
to me this takes away from the music....

. . . .

some examples for me would be Pink Floyd "The Wall", which the movie for me was a big let down.
So I rate that as their Artistic side..not bad..
but my own visuals are better.
. . . . .

but then there is meatloaf's videos of to hell and back.. (my opinion)
I really enjoyed those and did not know the meatloafed till then...
Both Video and music to me was artistic..

Gary Moore's video and his stage presence works well with "Still got the blues" An Artist and a Musician..

Although MTV VH1 CMT prove me wrong..
in the end...
I believe music should be viewed with the ears and not with the eyes..
other than live shows.. Musicians should leave the acting..well, to actors.
which do you prefer/perfer?

Funny Justa, as I was reading the beginning of your post, "Dark Side of the Moon" was the first thing that sprang to mind. On an album like that, I prefer my own mental images.

Some vids I really like though, and it can be part of the artistic expression. As I sit here, I am grasping at vids I really liked and can't think of any. I don't get MTV anymore, and I understand they don't show as many music vids anymore anyway. (Oh the days of Martha Quinn and when I was just entering my 20s.) About the only one I can think of right this minute as an example is the old, old Human League vid "Don't you want me baby" or something like that. Not that great a band and other than the single, I never owned any of their music, but that video I enjoyed for some reason on its own.

Now that I am playing, I do really like concert vid, especially if I can see what is going on with the guitar. Both Greenday's "Bullet in a Bible", and Neil's "Heart of Gold" DVDs are enjoyable to me, and of course SRV's Montreaux vids.

Tone2TheBone
September 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM
....Now that I am playing, I do really like concert vid, especially if I can see what is going on with the guitar. Both Greenday's "Bullet in a Bible", and Neil's "Heart of Gold" DVDs are enjoyable to me, and of course SRV's Montreaux vids.

Dude, Bullet in a Bible rocks! My daughter and I crank that #$%* up a lot.

Spudman
September 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM
TOT
Awesome video! I love Los Lobos. I hadn't seen that one and it's really cool.