PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Waco, Texas

luvmyshiner
September 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
A friend of mine from the Washburn forum suggested I check y'all out. So I've been lurking for a few days and reading some threads, and it seems like y'all have a great group of people here. Against all the advice from the good folks on this forum, I even ran a search and discovered how Warren likes to cook his pancakes! Well that sold me on the place.

Years ago when I was in college I had a little nylon string guitar. After I married my first wife, she decided I was spending too much time playing guitar and sold it in a garage sale for $20.00. Of course ultimately I ended up loosing the wife, but not in time to save my guitar. So about two years ago I told that story to my lovely child bride, and she decided to get me a guitar for my birthday. I've been playing for a little over a year and half now, and my child bride even got into it. She's been playing for about a year. We've fallen in love with these things and now have eight guitars between the two of us. There's nothing we enjoy more at the end of the day then having our own little Shiner family jam!

Anyway, if y'all have any questions, please feel free to fire away. I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all, and learning a little music on the way.

Tone2TheBone
September 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Haddy neighbor and welcome. Let me buy you a round of Shiner. :)

Robert
September 27th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Good to have you here, Shiner! My, you are the first newcomer to already know all about Warren's pancake adventures! Well done research, sir!
Have some :pancake :pancake :pancake (It's on Warren) :D

Adrian30
September 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Welcome Shiner:)
This is a great forum! I'm myself new, but spending quite a bit of my time here, really enjoying and learning a lot! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun, too.:Dude:

Spudman
September 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hi Shiner. Welcome.
My mom finished her life in Waco and I used to live in Killeen (don't hold that against me:) ) I traded the bugs and storms for snow.

M29
September 27th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Welcome Shiner,

Hey pancakes...lets all have some pancakes...well ah maybe not......

M29

t_ross33
September 27th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Howdy from the Great White North! I hoist a pint o' Molsons to ya :beer:

Stick around. This is a fun place to hand out!

Trev

Guitar Gal
September 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Welcome Shiner......:beer:

Glad to see another Washburn forum friend here :AOK:

Just a word of caution to everyone about Shiner.....please don't ask him about "neked tractor guy".......or "neked computer guy" (even worse than neked tractor guy :puke: )......they ain't pretty ......these are things that are just not right and should never be seen .......by anyone......EVER......Strum knows what I am talking about :nono:

GG

Tone2TheBone
September 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Welcome Shiner......:beer:

Glad to see another Washburn forum friend here :AOK:

Just a word of caution to everyone about Shiner.....please don't ask him about "neked tractor guy".......or "neked computer guy" (even worse than neked tractor guy :puke: )......they ain't pretty ......these are things that are just not right and should never be seen .......by anyone......EVER......Strum knows what I am talking about :nono:

GG

Can't be any worse than our neked pancake guy can it?

Guitar Gal
September 27th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Can't be any worse than our neked pancake guy can it?

Ummmm......yeah.....:eek:

GG

luvmyshiner
September 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

It's a small world Spudman. I love our central Texas winters, but we sure do pay for it when it hits 110 in the summer!

Hey GG, it's good to see ya', um . . . read ya'.:D The only reason neked tractor dude hasn't made an appearance is because I haven't figured out how stick a picture in a post yet. Give me time girl, give me time.:D

kiteman
September 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Yep, summers are real dogs here. Welcome neighbor.

just strum
September 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Shiner ole buddy, I've been watching for your post and it's good to see you finally arrived. A lot of good people here and some good subjects (they have flame-outs, but us Washburn folks never experienced that (heh heh).

GG I forgot about the pictures and I strongly recommend that the rest of you don't encourage Shiner to start posting those things.

I'll let the others do the welcoming since I've known you far longer that I had hoped - just kidding.

We will have to encourage a few more from Washburn to pay a visit and maybe set up shop.

Later my friend.

sunvalleylaw
September 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Welcome and howdy Shiner, from up here in Idaho.

luvmyshiner
September 27th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Hey Strum, thanks for inviting me over. It's a really nice place y'all have here. I plan on digging through the old threads in the Mod/Repair section as well as the Acoustic section to see what I can learn.

Kiteman, whereabouts in Texas are you?

Sunvalleylaw, thanks for the welcome brother. My lovely child bride and I are both lawyers as well. She works for the good guys, and I . . . well, I generally work for the not-so-good guys.:messedup:

just strum
September 27th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hey Strum, thanks for inviting me over. It's a really nice place y'all have here. I plan on digging through the old threads in the Mod/Repair section as well as the Acoustic section to see what I can learn.

Kiteman, whereabouts in Texas are you?

Sunvalleylaw, thanks for the welcome brother. My lovely child bride and I are both lawyers as well. She works for the good guys, and I . . . well, I generally work for the not-so-good guys.:messedup:

What he failed to note here is his bride is 16 and he is 63. Lucky guy!!!

ted s
September 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Welcome Shiner !.. yup, maybe we gotta clarify this child bride thing..:messedup:

sunvalleylaw
September 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Ha, Ha! That can be a matter of perspective. I'd be curious about which good or bad guys you and your bride work for. Do tell! :beer:

kiteman
September 28th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I'm in San Antonio. :)

duhvoodooman
September 28th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Shiner. Looks like you're gonna fit right in around here. I mean, where else can a man go for for guitars & pancakes?? :eek: ;) :AOK:

Tim
September 28th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Welcome Shiner. This is a cool forum to belong too.

Those young wives help keep us old times young. LOL. Mine is 8 years my junior. There is nothing better than a good wife and a good guitar or two, or three, or ......

I am beginning to think the name of this forum should be the Kinky Fret Net. First there was Warren and his pancakes. Then Robert playing for a wedding only wearing a shirt. Now we have Shiner and his untold adventures. As they say on the X-Files, "The truth is out there". Sooner or later we will find out the truth about Shiner. Nobody can hide these days.

I think I am going to do a Google search on "Warren + Pancakes". Then a Google search on "Shiner + Tractors".

Tone2TheBone
September 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Welcome Shiner. This is a cool forum to belong too.

Those young wives help keep us old times young. LOL. Mine is 8 years my junior. There is nothing better than a good wife and a good guitar or two, or three, or ......

I am beginning to think the name of this forum should be the Kinky Fret Net. First there was Warren and his pancakes. Then Robert playing for a wedding only wearing a shirt. Now we have Shiner and his untold adventures. As they say on the X-Files, "The truth is out there". Sooner or later we will find out the truth about Shiner. Nobody can hide these days.

I think I am going to do a Google search on "Warren + Pancakes". Then a Google search on "Shiner + Tractors".

8 years younger than you and you love the way her perfume smells? You're one smart man.:AOK:

luvmyshiner
September 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Hey Kiteman, my child bride is from San Antonio. She's 8 years younger than me as well Tim, and you are absolutely correct.:) She still has family down around Sequin so we get to sneak down there pretty often.

Sunvalley, I'm a sole practitioner, board certified in family law, and my practice is primarily composed of family law and criminal law.:D CB works for the great state of Texas!

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I also am a solo, just a small town (albeit resort town) country lawyer. I also do family law and criminal defense along with guardianship, etc., and some small biz and wills, etc. and the occasional real estate issue like transferring the vacation house into the trust, etc. My wife is about 6 mos. older than I, and a chiropractor, great athlete, and super mom!

ted s
September 28th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Hmm, Steve is a small town lawyer, me thinks we should call him Matlock ?!

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Yikes!!! I respect and admire Atticus Finch more as far as small town lawyers go, but don't pretend to have what that character had.

pes_laul
September 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM
welcome dude

luvmyshiner
September 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks pes_laul.

Sunnyvalley, it sounds like our practices are very similar. I like to tell everyone I keep my practice small so I can give my clients individual attention . . . truth is, I'm lazy.:D :D

Algonquin
September 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Welcome Texan!

'Remember the I-duh-ho'

:confused: Now that doesn't seem right, does it?

Cheers,

:beer:

tot_Ou_tard
September 28th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Have some :pancake :pancake :pancake (It's on Warren) It's good to know that he's wearing *something* these days! :D

It looks like Shiner's got you beat Warren, he's got two nekkid stories &
:eek: pictures! :puke:

oldguy
September 28th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Welcome, Shiner!
(Sorry I'm late, I just got home...)

tot_Ou_tard
September 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM
So have any of you Washburnites played any electric Washburns? (Yeah, yeah, I know; dark side & all that, but indulge me...puhlease ;) )

just strum
September 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
So have any of you Washburnites played any electric Washburns? (Yeah, yeah, I know; dark side & all that, but indulge me...puhlease ;) )

Pure electric I have not, but the Idol series is very enticing. Guitar Gal has a real nice Washburn WI67PRO and I assume she remains very fond of it. I don't recall if she has the lighter or darker shade, but hopefully she will come along and give you a little review.

http://washburn.com/products/electrics/idol/wi67pro.aspx

I had an electric acoustic EA20SDL, but Shiner is now the owner, or I should say his wife is the owner.

luvmyshiner
September 29th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Hey tot, I've got an OE30 which is an inexpensive semi-hollowbody. It's a lot of fun to play around with but the thing weighs more than my second wife did.:messedup:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/PC190004.jpg

Katastrophe
September 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Welcome, man!

just strum
September 29th, 2007, 08:00 AM
...but the thing weighs more than my second wife did.:messedup:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/PC190004.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/homer-doh.jpg

Guitar Gal
September 29th, 2007, 08:30 AM

I have the WI67PRO as Strum mentioned. Here is a pic:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p77/Yogacat579/WI67body.jpg

The WI67PRO is part of the Washburn Idol series. If you search the Washburn site, you can get a lot of info on this series.

I really like the guitar and it is very versatile. It sounds great playing clean or distorted. I've had a lot of fun playing around with it through my Vox. I can get many different tones out of it for a guitar noob....and it even sounds decent (haha). It is well balanced and weighs about 7 lbs. It has a mahogany body and neck with jumbo frets. The frets are quite large in comparison to my Squires. The pic does not do it justice.....it is quite stunning in person. The only two things I do not like are the high gloss on the back of the neck and the VCC controls instead of the tone controls....but these things are just a personal preference. I got this color at a Sam Ash closeout deal so I don't think this color is available any longer.

GG

tot_Ou_tard
September 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Sweet looking gitfiddle GG!

A heavy semi, Shiney? What do you think of Les Pauls? ;)

luvmyshiner
September 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I hate to admit this tot, but I've never had the privilege of playing one.