PDA

View Full Version : A Bass Tip

r_a_smith3530
February 24th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Because of the huge wave of a bass' signal, sympathetic string vibration can be a problem, especially from the E and A strings (or the B on a five string bass). Bass great James Jamerson dealt with this by placing a piece of foam rubber between the body and the strings, just above the bridge.

It works!

The G-string
March 13th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'll have to try that! I wrapped a big rubber band around the very tip of the neck - - because the "vibrational" sounded like it was coming from right there ... basically my biggest problem is my E string (on my upright) ... but I do get some buzz from my Fender electric, too.

r_a_smith3530
March 14th, 2006, 02:08 AM
I've heard of upright players using a similar technique. I believe that it was either Charles Mingus or Willie Dixon that did something like this. I forget what the exact mechanics of it were, because of course there is so much more space between the face of the instrument and the top of the bridge on an upright.

Hey, speaking of uprights, what are you playing, and how would you rate it?

The G-string
March 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I assume you mean my upright? It's a Palatino. It's impossible for me to rate it, as its the only upright I've ever played. However, my nephew loves it and he's played a few different kinds (and was trained classically by someone in our city's orchestra). My father has also played several in the jazz venue and he loves it. That was good enough for me. I couldn't tell you if it's got plywood or not, but it doesn't *look* like plywood. I just really really wanted an upright, the tone sounded good to me and I figured the "average person" listening wouldn't know the difference, so I got what I could afford at the time.

My electric is a Fender Precision II.

Here's a link: http://www.folkofthewood.com/page5036.htm and pic: http://www.folkofthewood.com/Images10/palatinovb004bass.jpgIt says it's spruce and maple - - says nothing of plywood.

Tone2TheBone
May 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM
What kind of foam rubber? The round kind that is black? It'd have to be like half inch diameter or so right?

I notice on my P-Bass type Yamaha RBX I get some funny sounds when I fret the low E string anywhere below the 5th fret (A). Anything above that point fretted sounds ok...but I guess this is what you guys are talking about on a bass? (overtones) When I play octaves on the E and D fretted below the 5th fret the weirdness goes away...I'm assuming because I've introduced a more solid vibrating note on the D so the ear automatically hears that better. Its not that bad, but I think I am hearing overtones like the kind you are talking about. The bass IS intonated btw.

Oh also...won't the foam make the strings vibrate less?

Spudman
May 1st, 2006, 08:47 PM
If I remember right some of the Fender guitars and basses used to come stock with a damping feature just like that as part of the bridge assembly. I think I had one on a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. You would push a button or lever and it would pop up against the bottom of the strings right by the bridge.

Anyone else remember these?

SuperSwede
May 2nd, 2006, 02:14 AM
If I recall correctly you moved that little round thing in the tailpiece and it would damp everything just like when you hold your hands on the strings...

http://www.elderly.com/fmic/items/images/30N/FCJMR_bridge-tailpiece.jpg

Tim
May 2nd, 2006, 04:00 AM
Ok! OK! I’m still a novice here. Super Swede, what the heck is that stove pipe sticking up on that tail piece. Kind of reminds me of a tubular baffle to off set the sound emitting from the guitar’s pick ups.

Then there’s that big old rivet sitting in there amongst those wood screws. Finally, what is the purpose of the chrome piece? I have seen them on bass guitars, but not on a six stringer.

Spudman
May 2nd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Ok! OK! I’m still a novice here. Super Swede, what the heck is that stove pipe sticking up on that tail piece. Kind of reminds me of a tubular baffle to off set the sound emitting from the guitar’s pick ups.

Then there’s that big old rivet sitting in there amongst those wood screws. Finally, what is the purpose of the chrome piece? I have seen them on bass guitars, but not on a six stringer.

The stove pipe is where the tremolo arm screws in. Slide the button forward and it raises or lowers a damping pad under the chrome bridge cover. That is the same bridge I had on my Fender Jaguar. This one looks like it is on a Jazzmaster.

Tim
May 2nd, 2006, 08:48 AM
The stove pipe is where the tremolo arm screws in. Slide the button forward and it raises or lowers a damping pad under the chrome bridge cover. That is the same bridge I had on my Fender Jaguar. This one looks like it is on a Jazzmaster.

Spudman,

Thanks for the fast response. It all makes sense know that you gave a detailed explanation. I could not fathom a tremolo arm sliding down between two strings. It looks like there is a larger distance between the “e” and “b” strings than the rest of the pack.

I can not figure how the damping pad under the chrome bridge cover works. Do you push on it or just rest your wrist when using the tremolo?

SuperSwede
May 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Tim, it is just a cloth covered piece of metal that applies some damping to the strings so you can play surf music without damping with your right hand. Rather useless if you are not into that kind of music. This (jazzmaster/jaguar) was considered state-of-the-art back in the early 60´s so I guess they added a lot of stuff to make a really "modern" guitar. The internal wiring of a Jaguar is really crazy, you can do a lot with the switches on that one...
The tremolo is really cool because they are floating, its almost like playing with a floyd rose system. DIVE BOMBS AWAY! :)

Tim
May 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
DIVE BOMBS AWAY! :)

This leads to the next question. What is a DIVE BOMB? I picture it a "windmill" without the full circle.

SuperSwede
May 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Dive Bombing (perhaps only known by that name here) is when a 80´s spandex dressed guitarist in the middle of a screaming solo presses the tremolo bar down as much as possible to achieve a "dive bomb sounding" effect. I think that Yngwie Malmsteen still does it sometimes ;)

Tim
May 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
I guess I'll go search "YOUTUBE" for a demo.

Tone2TheBone
May 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
Rob - What kind of rubber foam ya talkin' about.

Spudman
May 2nd, 2006, 05:28 PM
Eddie Van Halen is the king of dive bombing.

SuperSwede
May 3rd, 2006, 04:32 AM
Yeah spud... I totally forgot about Van Halen when I wrote the reply. Thanks for reminding me :)

Tim
May 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM
Someone forgot to mention that the whammy bar must be used.

Thanks to these two sites, I now understand the “DIVE BOMB”.

http://www.xtrememusician.com/info/guitar/techniques/7.html

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/7607/bar.html

Tone2TheBone
May 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM
What does dive bombing have to do with the original Bass topic? Stick to the thread topic please.

Tim
May 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
Is it possible to DIVE BOMB a BASS? The tremolo effect could come from a skilled players fingers.

Hey … I’m trying to broaden the topic here. I guess you could use the DIVE BOMB fishing lure while fishing for BASS. Na! That belongs under the “Food” thread.

Sorry Tone! We need to get BTTS (Back to the Subject).

r_a_smith3530
May 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I assume you mean my upright? It's a Palatino. It's impossible for me to rate it, as its the only upright I've ever played. I just really really wanted an upright, the tone sounded good to me and I figured the "average person" listening wouldn't know the difference, so I got what I could afford at the time.

Thanks for the reply G-string. I will check them out.

r_a_smith3530
May 6th, 2006, 10:33 PM
What kind of foam rubber? The round kind that is black? It'd have to be like half inch diameter or so right?

I notice on my P-Bass type Yamaha RBX I get some funny sounds when I fret the low E string anywhere below the 5th fret (A). Anything above that point fretted sounds ok...but I guess this is what you guys are talking about on a bass? (overtones) When I play octaves on the E and D fretted below the 5th fret the weirdness goes away...I'm assuming because I've introduced a more solid vibrating note on the D so the ear automatically hears that better. Its not that bad, but I think I am hearing overtones like the kind you are talking about. The bass IS intonated btw.

Oh also...won't the foam make the strings vibrate less?

Tone, I'm usin' some gray stuff that came with a mother board I bought. It was in a decent-sized sheet (bigger than an ATX system board), and it was just slightly thicker than the space between my bass' strings and body.

What I'm talking about is the sympathetic vibration of the E string, heard when playing notes on one of the higher strings. You hear it as a dull hum, in the key of E.

Yes Tone, it (the foam) does affect sustain some, similar to slightly muting your strings. It's great for blues, but might not be suitable for other forms of music.