PDA

View Full Version : Behringer gm110

Duff
September 30th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Just ordered a Behringer gm110, small practice amp.

Anyone familiar with these?

I'm hoping, as to be expected, that it will be a great tone machine. It's 30 watts ss. Has a xlr DI output that takes everything over to the destination hookup.

Any knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks,

Duffy

Dauntless
September 30th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I've got one.
When you get it, play with it. Don't just plug it in and crank it up.
My favorite settings have been California/high gain/UK with overdrive at 2.
YMMV
Have fun!

Duff
October 10th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Are they really great like the reviews suggest, I mean for a thirty watt practice amp? Analog modeling. Sounds good. I like the xlr and maybe Ill start recording onto my computer. I think all I would need would be a mixer with an xlr input and a usb output.

Anyone have any experience using this amp, for any and all purposes?

Duff

wingsdad
October 12th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Nice amp. I had one a few years ago when it was a/k/a 'Vintager GM110'. Like many/most Behringer gear, they 'reverse-engineered' or 'cloned' this little guy after a competitor's successful, more expensive product, in this case, the Tech21 Trademark 30. They applied Tech21 "SansAmp' 3-switch matrix of amp/preamp and speaker cab sims and Drive (pre-gain) pot, and the XLR-DI with Ground Lift. As you've surmised, it makes it ideal to go direct into a board or recording rig with a low noise signal. Behringer opted to leave out on-board Reverb on the GM-110 that the Tech21 Trademark 30 sports (Accutronics sping 'verb). Not an issue, though if you go thru pedals or an FX unit into the amp's front end. I can't recall, but I think it has an FX Loop, another freature of the Tech21, and that's the other fix.

Behringer subsequently applied the same modeling matrix to their GMX 'V-Tone' amp series, with the GMX-110 a 30-watt 1x10 adding digital FX (99 presets) and a 2nd channel to switch from 'normal' to 'lead' presets, but it omits the XLR-DI.

Duff
October 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Must be old stock. Brand new in two boxes. Never been used. It's the Vintager one.

Super, super great tone and I haven't even experimented with it for more than three days now.

I picked up a cheap new Danelectro "corned beef" reverb pedal that I am getting used to. It is now a really great reverb pedal like I would like to get: like a "Fender Twin Reverb Amp" pedal. Or a couple other digital reverb pedals that have a few types of reverb.

I also picked up a Boss Tremolo pedal because I like the tremolo on my Vox Pathfinder 15R. The Boss pedal is a lot like the Vox tremolo. It has more variation than the Vox built in one and is a nice pedal.

This amp puts out some great tones and is loud without maxing it out. Lots of different sounds and within each setting you can adjust the gain and master dials to even further modify the basic sound of the setting.

I like it a lot. $99.

This would be a great starter amp for someone needing something a little louder than a practice amp. Especially because it has the balanced xlr out on the back that takes the entire modified sound with it to the destination unit. So you could adjust things if you didn't like what the soundperson was doing to your sound. I like that idea.

It is really sharp looking and is a motivating factor when it comes to practicing. Even though I have some nice practice amps, this one is especially nice.

It's a great amp at a great price and can be found new with just a little surfing the net. It is a definite improvement over a lot of the inexpensive practice amps I've played that cost more money.

Some of these solid state amps are getting really good sounding. This one is an ANALOG modeling amp. My new Crate Flexwave 15R with 12 inch speaker is another great sounding $99 amp.