PDA

View Full Version : What's Everybody Listening To This Week?

R_of_G
October 1st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Was curious as to where everyone's listening tastes are these days. Here are some of the things getting heavy play on my iPod this week...

The Allman Bros. Band - Live 09-24-04 Fox Theatre Atlanta, GA
John McLaughlin/Jaco Pastorius/Tony Williams - Trio of Doom Live
Ivan "Boogaloo Joe" Jones - several albums
Derek & The Dominos - Live at the Fillmore [the re-release with more tracks]
John Oswald - Plunderphonics
Johnny "Guitar" Watson - Gangster of Love
The Ramones - Leave Home
The Ergs - Dork Rock Cork Rod

sunvalleylaw
October 1st, 2007, 01:29 PM
Right now I am stuck on re-discovering Stevie "Guitar" Miller.

auDvx3Xu4JY

JaW2_3uyxy4 (little short clip from the show saturday).

SuperSwede
October 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Bob Dylan - "Under the red sky" !

Jimmy Vaughan, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Slash on guitars. Elton on the piano. Its a damn good record!

Robert
October 1st, 2007, 01:38 PM
I am listening to Joni Mitchell "Hits".

Ro3b
October 1st, 2007, 01:39 PM
I've just discovered the Hives. Veni Vidi Vicious is a masterwork. They've rekindled my interest in the Stooges and Iggy Pop (I've been wearing out my copy of Raw Power) and that kind of music in general. Big loud stupid splashy garage punk. It's all I want to play these days.

SuperSwede
October 1st, 2007, 01:43 PM
I've just discovered the Hives. Veni Vidi Vicious is a masterwork. They've rekindled my interest in the Stooges and Iggy Pop (I've been wearing out my copy of Raw Power) and that kind of music in general. Big loud stupid splashy garage punk. It's all I want to play these days.

+1

Raw Power could be one of the best albums ever recorded.. Its definately on my top ten list! :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
October 1st, 2007, 01:46 PM
I am also exploring some Bonamassa Spudsteve turned me on to.

pie_man_25
October 1st, 2007, 02:11 PM
I'vae been listening to a lot of blues/bl.ues based music lately, the who, pink floyd, stavie ray vaughan, jef beck and cream are among thae most common lately, also, does anybody know any of the good 60s 70s early punk bands? I just want a few names.

just strum
October 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM
This week? Well, only one CD so far - Paul Thorn

Over the weekend: Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street and Let It Bleed; Clash - London Calling; Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

tunghaichuan
October 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Steve Earle Washington Square Serenade

Niyaz Niyaz

Cold Fairyland (http://www.myspace.com/coldfairyland) (new MySpace friend)

Infinite Ego/Saviour Onasis (http://www.myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis) "Does This Mohawk Make Me Look Fat?"

White Willow (http://www.myspace.com/whitewillowband) (another new MySpace friend)

Webb Wilder compilation

Buckethead compilation

Dwight Yoakam compilation

R_of_G
October 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
I'vae been listening to a lot of blues/bl.ues based music lately, the who, pink floyd, stavie ray vaughan, jef beck and cream are among thae most common lately, also, does anybody know any of the good 60s 70s early punk bands? I just want a few names.

Here are some early punk/proto-punk bands to check out from that era:

The Monks [aka The Black Monks]
The Stooges
The MC5
Stack Waddy [UK raw blues-rock, awesome!]
The Dictators
The Buzzcocks
Television

t_ross33
October 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
does anybody know any of the good 60s 70s early punk bands? I just want a few names.
punk, per se, wasn't recognized as a genre until the mid 70s, though I'm sure there was lots of music that didn't fit the mainstream. It would be interesting to hear from some of our FretNet brothers and sisters who have been around long enough to know more about that scene. I'm only approaching 40, so I'm more of an 80s and beyond guy :rotflmao:

From a Wikipedia search for "punk rock":

Preceding the mid-1970s, punk, a centuries-old word of obscure etymology, was commonly used to describe "a young male hustler, a gangster, a hoodlum, or a ruffian".[31] As Legs McNeil explains, "On TV, if you watched cop shows, Kojak, Baretta, when the cops finally catch the mass murderer, they'd say, 'you dirty Punk.' It was what your teachers would call you. It meant that you were the lowest."[32] The first known use of the phrase "punk rock" appeared in the Chicago Tribune on March 22, 1970, where Ed Sanders was quoted describing an album of his as "punk rock—redneck sentimentality."[33] Dave Marsh was the first music critic to employ the term—in the May 1971 issue of Creem, he described ? and the Mysterians as giving a "landmark exposition of punk rock."[34] In June 1972, the fanzine Flash included a "Punk Top Ten" of 1960s albums.[35] That year, Lenny Kaye used the term in the liner notes of the anthology album Nuggets to refer to 1960s garage rock bands such as The Standells, The Sonics, and The Seeds.[36] Bomp! maintained this usage through the early 1970s, also applying it to some of the darker, more primitive practitioners of 1960s psychedelic rock.[37]

By 1975, punk was being used to describe acts as diverse as the Patti Smith Group—with lead guitarist Lenny Kaye—the Bay City Rollers, and Bruce Springsteen.[37] As the scene at New York's CBGB club (popularly referred to as "CBGBs") attracted notice, a name was sought for the developing sound. Club owner Hilly Kristal called the movement "street rock"; John Holmstrom credits Aquarian magazine with using punk "to describe what was going on at CBGBs".[38] Holmstrom, McNeil, and Ged Dunn's magazine Punk, which debuted at the end of 1975, was crucial in codifying the term.[39] "It was pretty obvious that the word was getting very popular," Holmstrom later remarked. "We figured we'd take the name before anyone else claimed it. We wanted to get rid of the bullshit, strip it down to rock 'n' roll. We wanted the fun and liveliness back."[37]
To get a feel for the punk movement in North America, you need to dig into D.O.A., the Dead Kennedys, the Cramps, Johnny Thunders, Television, Iggy Pop, the Ramones, Blondie, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Teenage Head etc.

Enjoy :Dude:

Trev

EDIT: To Un-hijack this thread, I'm listening to a lot of "new country" trying to find the diamonds in the very rough that we can add to our set list (it's not an easy job as you can imagine :messedup: ). Other than that, Bruce Springsteen's new album is awesome. I've also been listening to a lot of local indie artists such as Wyatt, Ricasso and the Wheatmonkeys.

:AOK:

Justaguyin_nc
October 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM
Was curious as to where everyone's listening tastes are these days.

Remember that night -Live at the Royal Albert Hall David Gilmour

Assorted Tom Petty Songs..

Some Alan Jackson Songs...

tunghaichuan
October 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
An excellent documentary on the LA punk scene at the end of the 70s is The Decline of Western Civilization [part 1]. It may be hard to find, I don't think it was ever released on DVD, video only. About half the people in that movie were dead by the time it had been released in the theaters. :messedup: I have the sound track, which is pretty good.

One of the bands I liked from the movie was X with Billy Zoom and Exene Cervenka. Under the Big Black Sun is a good place to star with them.

tung

sunvalleylaw
October 1st, 2007, 03:40 PM
I have a copy of X Live at some club in LA somewhere that I listened to a lot back in the late 80s/early 90s. Haven't thought of them in a long time. It is in a big bag of old Maxell UDXL IIs that I keep around and pull something out of once in a while.

luvmyshiner
October 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
My 21 year old son believes it's his mission in life to keep me updated on new music. Some of it's pretty good, some of it's not so good.

This week it's Flyleaf (not so good) and a Linkin Park album (better, but still not great).

R_of_G
October 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
A couple more early "punk" bands to check out are the Cleveland bands Pere Ubu and Dead Boys. Both of these bands made large contributions to the overall sonic landscape of punk.

------
Just to note, and maybe this should be a separate thread but whatever...

I disagree a bit with the school of thought [expressed in the quoted wikipedia article] that punk arose from the proto-punk bands like the Monks, the Velvet Underground, the Stooges and the MC5. While these bands all played a MAJOR role in influencing the sound of countless punk bands to follow, their sounds didn't originate from nowhere, and despite the insistence of Lenny Kaye, the sounds go back furthur than the one-hit wonders on the Nuggets compilations. What we call "punk" music today owes a tremendous amount to the so-called "free jazz" or "new music" players of the 1960's jazz scene.

Just listen and you can hear that the MC5 was far more influenced by Coltrane's "sheets of sound" methods and Albert Ayler's ferocious yet simple improvisation. Both the MC5 [especially live] and the Stooges employed similar "energy blast" type horn play in their music reminicsent of Coltrane or Eric Dolphy. Ornette Coleman and Miles Davis' additions of electric guitarists like James "Blood" Ulmer and Sonny Sharrock opened the door for experimentation in popular music that wasn't there previously. By this, I mean experimentation in the actual approach to playing [like Ulmer's unusual "harmolodic" tunings, or Sharrock's feedback-drenched shredding].

A prime example of Ornette's influence on punk can be seen in Black Flag guitarist Gregg Ginn. Ginn's solos are worlds away from anything that was being played by his contemporaries, and owed much more to Ornette Coleman than it did to any previous guitar players [focus on the harmony of the notes as opposed to just melodic play]. A lot of the influence comes more in the attitude that allowed these musicians to think outside the norms of music, to present it in a free or less-structured way than was the norm.

Did the "garage" and "psychedelic" raw sounds of the Nuggets bands and proto-punk bands like the Stooges or the MC5 or the Velvet Underground influence the vast majority of "punk" bands that came afterwards? Absolutely, but one has to consider that their music came from somewhere as well. American music is vast and complex, but it's all perfectly traceable if you listen to enough of it.

An excellent article on the subject of "where punk came from" can be found here ... http://www.furious.com/perfect/jazzpunk.html

Ro3b
October 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
What we call "punk" music today owes a tremendous amount to the so-called "free jazz" or "new music" players of the 1960's jazz scene.

That's a really interesting observation and makes perfect sense. The kinds of experimentation and improvisation that Coleman and his ilk were getting into were by no means specific to jazz, or even to music as opposed to other performing arts. I can see that influence even more in "No Wave" bands like the Swans, Sonic Youth, et al.

Another excellent punk documentary to check out is American Hardcore (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0419434/). Good interviews with members of the Circle Jerks, Black Flag, the Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc., and absolutely terrifying concert footage. Makes me all misty.

Thread-relevant content: this morning I sat in traffic listening to Nile's new album Ithyphallic.

Tone2TheBone
October 2nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Another teenager in the house. This week it's been Switchfoot and some Green Day (thanks Steve for the reminder last week) and the Sex Pistols. My P90s have been rocking hard lately from the inspirations.

sunvalleylaw
October 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Another teenager in the house. This week it's been Switchfoot and some Green Day (thanks Steve for the reminder last week) and the Sex Pistols. My P90s have been rocking hard lately from the inspirations.
LOL! I have a Switchfoot song that plays on my myspace profile page. Today on my iPod, I went back to Mayer on the way in, a mix of Trio and Continuum.

R_of_G, cool comments. I love discussing stuff like that. A separate thread about punk origins might be kind of fun. I can only contribute as a west coast/western WA, suburban kid who ended up listening to some along the way, but I love to learn stuff like that.

R_of_G
October 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
Some of you guys have mentioned liking bands like Green Day. If you are a fan of this kind of "punk-pop" you might want to check out a current band from New Jersey called The Ergs. Their songs are rockin' and very catchy, and unlike a lot of other bands in this genre, these guys are spectacular musicians. As a lifelong Ramones addict, I have come to really appreciate the Ergs. A good starting point for anyone interested would be their album "Dork Rock Cork Rod."

Tone2TheBone
October 2nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
Some of you guys have mentioned liking bands like Green Day. If you are a fan of this kind of "punk-pop" you might want to check out a current band from New Jersey called The Ergs. Their songs are rockin' and very catchy, and unlike a lot of other bands in this genre, these guys are spectacular musicians. As a lifelong Ramones addict, I have come to really appreciate the Ergs. A good starting point for anyone interested would be their album "Dork Rock Cork Rod."

Thanks for the tip RoG I'll have my kid look them up.

just strum
October 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
A couple more early "punk" bands to check out are the Cleveland bands Pere Ubu and Dead Boys. Both of these bands made large contributions to the overall sonic landscape of punk.

------

I was born and raised in Cleveland and lived there or a suburb most of my life (a real short stint living in LA). I read much about both, but oddly never saw them perform. I think I may have been in my "I must grow up and act mature" mode - I'm over that crap now.

I can't be getting old, too many people tell me how immature I am.

just strum
October 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM

I just tried to get on their MySpace site, but our server blocks it. I am a fan of Green Day (prefer their early stuff over their last CD). I like the Ramones too. I prefer the 2 to 2.5 minute song. Get your message across and get out. I still often listen to Elvis Costello's - My Aim Is True - Good Music, good lyrics condensed in a short song.

I'll have to check out The Ergs when I get home.

sunvalleylaw
October 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
I just tried to get on their MySpace site, but our server blocks it. I am a fan of Green Day (prefer their early stuff over their last CD). I like the Ramones too. I prefer the 2 to 2.5 minute song. Get your message across and get out. I still often listen to Elvis Costello's - My Aim Is True - Good Music, good lyrics condensed in a short song.

I'll have to check out The Ergs when I get home.

I agree with both of those statements. I also liked at the time The Clash, early U2, Ramones, The Kingbees, etc. Some genre crossing there, not all true punk. I think there are some common threads if you listen though.

helliott
October 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Listening to Gov't Mule, High and Mighty, in anticipation of going to see them Wednesday night in Toronto. Also listening to the new Springsteen album, Magic.

Spudman
October 2nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Phideaux http://www.myspace.com/phideaux