PDA

View Full Version : Times Have Changed

just strum
October 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
I posted this on another forum and since I have the album (plastic disk, a little over a foot in diameter, grooves cut in plastic with a small hole about 1/8 in dia in the center) sitting on the desk, I thought I would give you a little amusement.

The album is titled 24 Electrifying Performances written across the top and then in the center in large bold letters HEAVY METAL

The list of performers: Buffalo Springfield, Delaney and Bonnie, The Doors, Eagles, Faces, The J Geils Band, Golden Earring,
Grateful Dead, Dr John, Van Morrision, T. Rex, War, Yes Black Sabbath,
Blues Image, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Foghat, Jimi Hendrix, The James Gang, Led Zepplelin, MC5, and Uriah Heep.

Lock your doors and hide your children - those hard rockers the likes of Yes and Van Morrison are headed to your neighborhood

ted s
October 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM
It's the music of the Devil I tell'ya

kiteman
October 1st, 2007, 05:56 PM
Heavy metal? J Geils Band? The Doors?

Where did you get that album? (yea I know what they are I still got a few here.) :)

I still have a record player with a 6 by 9 speaker in it. (remember those?) :)

just strum
October 1st, 2007, 06:11 PM
Heavy metal? J Geils Band? The Doors?

Where did you get that album? (yea I know what they are I still got a few here.) :)

I still have a record player with a 6 by 9 speaker in it. (remember those?) :)

Where did you get that album? (yea I know what they are I still got a few here.) :) it was released in 1974 and it's my wifes and I can assure you this is about all the rock she owns, from here her collection goes to Streisand, Manilow, and the Carpenters - Musical taste don't cross at any point of the spectrum

I still have a record player with a 6 by 9 speaker in it. (remember those?) :) Sadly I do. If I recall one of your earlier posts, you and I are the same age.

kiteman
October 1st, 2007, 07:07 PM
:rotflmao:

I don't know why I still have my albums. I guess I'd just hate to toss 'em as they were from my heydays. :)

Remember any of these? I wonder they're collectable?

Guitar Boogie - Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Pages
Mark, Don & Mel - Grand Funk Railroad
Red Album - Grand Funk Railroad
Planet P - Planet P
Machine Head - Deep Purple
Greatest Hits - Black Sabbath
When We Rock, We Rock And When We Roll, We Roll - Deep Purple
Best Of BTO - BTO
Agents Of Fortune - Blue Oyster Cult
Trilogy - Emerson Lake And Palmer
Ina Godda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly

I had more but they were destroyed in a fire at a friend's house.

just strum
October 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM
ahhh, no I don't remember any of those, they must be before my time:whatever:

I remember most. Only had a couple, but friends had most of the others. I was a big Iron Butterfly and Grand Funk RR fan.

Now stop it, as far as anyone knows I was born right about the time U2 got their big break.

kiteman
October 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
ahhh, the 70s. Those were the good ol' days. :)

That's what I like to play on my guitar. Taste of 80s too.

Bloozcat
October 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
Ah...a nostalgia thread...

Yep, I got 'em too...about 100 LP's. I still have my direct drive Pioneer turntable with the strobe for setting the RPM. It's still a good turntable, although it only gets occasional use now. I still have the first album I ever bought myself - Cream's, Fresh Cream. Iron Butterfly's Ina Gadda Da Vida is in there too, along with many others from the late '60's - '70's.

I remember 78 RPM's and of course, 45 RPM's that came after. My parents had some of the old 78's, and my older sister had beau coup 45's. She was into the whole Top 10/American Bandstand thing back then.

Ever since the thread was started here, I've been looking at some of the various programs for transferring my old LP's over to wave files, and then to CD's. I'll still keep the LP's though...I just can't part with them. Who knows, maybe they'll become so valuable that I'll be sitting on a gold mine...:whatever:

Funny, the common experiences expressed here...

I with ya there just strum. My wife listens to Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, and, oh yes, Barbara Streisand (who makes me want to hurl) - and she hates Rock n Roll. Especially the kind we like that's guitar dominated. Interestingly though, The Iron Butterfly album that "we" have was mixed in with a few LP's that she had before we were married. Fortunately, she had the good sense to throw away all of her other "ear rot" albums (I snagged the Iron Butterfly out of the pile first, though).

Remember 6X9 speakers? Yep, remember them too. When I was a kid, we had a big Grundig console "Hi-Fi" stereo that had a pair of them in it. Ah, the good old days of singing along with Mitch Miller, listening to The Mills Brothers, The Ink Spots, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, along with many of the Big Band artists (as a former trombone player, Tommy Dorsey was my father's favorite). We listened to music from Dixieland Jazz, to classical, to John Phillip Souza marches that were in my father's collection. I'm glad that he exposed me to so many different types of music.

Spudman
October 2nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
Black and white TV. Music in mono.

kiteman
October 2nd, 2007, 08:35 AM
The 6 x9 in mine is a single. It's the record players you see in schools then. A 6x9 speaker in front with a removable lid and is tubed. You wait for it to warm up and then pick up the arm and lay it on the platter. 3 speeds of course.

What they called true hi-fi. :)

just strum
October 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Ah...a nostalgia thread...

Funny, the common experiences expressed here...

I with ya there just strum. My wife listens to Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, and, oh yes, Barbara Streisand (who makes me want to hurl) - and she hates Rock n Roll. Especially the kind we like that's guitar dominated. Interestingly though, The Iron Butterfly album that "we" have was mixed in with a few LP's that she had before we were married. Fortunately, she had the good sense to throw away all of her other "ear rot" albums (I snagged the Iron Butterfly out of the pile first, though).

Mine should have shown me her record collection before I married her, things might have turned out differently, but I doubt it.

There should be a club for guys like us.

Here's another thread that might be interesting: What is the strangest or rarest record or CD in your collection?

sunvalleylaw
October 2nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Mine should have shown me her record collection before I married her, things might have turned out differently, but I doubt it.

Here's another thread that might be interesting: What is the strangest or rarest record or CD in your collection?

Wow, I am feeling sorry for you guys. My wife's and my musical interests vary, but overlap better than that! She is into a genre I'd guess you'd call adult contemporary, crossing over into some blues and soul. Artists like Bonnie Raitt, Norah Jones, Susan Tedeschi, Lyle Lovett, Joss Stone, etc. and older artists like Etta James, Ray Charles, etc. We agree on many of the above (except I get tired of Norah and Joss). She does not share my love of "harder" rock music and my punk/alternative side.

Most rare record?

Off the top of the head, maybe The Young Fresh Fellows, "The Fabulous Sounds of the Pacific Northwest released in 1984 on the PopLlama label

Or Crazy Eights, "Law and Order", also release in 1984 on the RedRum label

Bloozcat
October 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM

Off the top of my head, I'd probably say this one...National Lampoon Lemmings. The "Woodchuck Festival of Peace, Love, and Death."

http://www.marksverylarge.com/images/lemmings.jpg

The Young Fresh Fellows - Weren't they a Pacific Northwest garage band from years ago, sorta like The Whalers before them?

Bloozcat
October 2nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
And then there's this one, WOW - by Moby Grape, that came with the bonus album, Grape Jam. Favorite tunes from WOW: Murder In My Heart For The Judge, and Miller's Blues...along with the quirky Motorcycle Irene. Grape Jam had a guest appearance from Al Kooper (and maybe Mike Bloomfield too, I think).

http://img44.exs.cx/img44/21/mobygrapewow5my.jpg
http://www.sundazed.com/shop/images/LP5227.jpg

sunvalleylaw
October 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
The Young Fresh Fellows - Weren't they a Pacific Northwest garage band from years ago, sorta like The Whalers before them?

I didn't know the Whalers, but yeah, more or less, alternative, college scene garage band.

pie_man_25
October 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
sounds like a killer LP I only wish I was growing up in those days, I must have been born late or something.