PDA

View Full Version : New member from the great state of Texas, checkin' in

YerDugliness
October 3rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Good day to all y'all!! This forum was recommended to me by a good friend from another forum, so I thought I'd drop by and see what's up??

By way of introduction, I've been playing guitar since the early 1970's, when my first wife gave me a classical guitar. I played classical guitars only from that time until I bought a Washburn acoustic steel string guitar 3 years ago. It was bought to use as barter for some help I needed with a home improvement project, but the guy left the state before the project could be started so I kept the guitar and in spite of my past negative experiences with steel string guitars I started playing it. Well, to my surprise, I loved the axe, and since then I've accumilated yet another Washburn acoustic steel string guitar, an Epiphone Dot hollow body electric, and will within the week take delivery of an Epiphone Les Paul electric and an Epiphone AJ-10 (to be used as a campfire guitar, a welcome addition that will eliminate the need for me to take my good guitars camping with me).

Having said all that, I don't really believe I have a musical bone in my body, but there is certainly music in my soul. Those pieces I can play, I do play well, but that only means I'm persistent, not good. I've never had a single music lesson, in fact I was kicked out of the only music class I ever got into (a funny story for a different time), and so I'm totally self taught. I've played by myself, usually in a darkened room with my eyes closed, for all the time I've played, except for 3 or 4 times I've played with some other friends. Never have I performed in public, but a newly acquired acquaintence and I are planning on working up some pieces so we can go get involved in open mic nights in Houston, TX, near where I live.

So, that's the sad story. I'm glad to be here, love the forums I've become active on, and look forward to seeing old friends here and making new friends.

Here's lookin' at you :beer: !!

YerDugliness :cool:

just strum
October 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Well, here's a hello from a recent old friend. I just sent you an e-mail to tell you to get yourself introduced and as soon as I hit send - bam, you're here. Good to see you here Dugly and I hope more will follow.

I will let the others give you their warm welcome and allow you to get acquainted.

sunvalleylaw
October 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Welcome YerDugliness! That moniker has to have a story behind it. Lots of nice people here. Enjoy yourself!

t_ross33
October 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Welcome aboard :beer: Great to have some more folks from the great state of Texas! Texas is just like Saskatchewan. Without trees. And snow. And Canadians :messedup:

Home of my heros (Waylon & Willie) and some of the best damn pickers and grinners on the planet. Gotta get down there one day (closest I've been is Tulsa, but I met some Texans there. Another story for another day :beer: )

Trev

YerDugliness
October 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Welcome YerDugliness! That moniker has to have a story behind it. Lots of nice people here. Enjoy yourself!

Here's the story:

I was helping a friend move when I was in college. He had a small pickup and it was taking quite a few trips, and he was lamenting the feeling that his wife was certainly not going to appreciate that we were taking so long for each trip (admittedly, we did stop to enjoy some of the Wildwood Flower each trip we made). I commented on how demanding my wife was and made the comment that at times I thought I should be addressing her as "Your Highness" (no relation to that natural substance, just a comment on her apparent feeling that she was royalty). He looked at me and said, "Well, that would make you "YerDugliness", then". I looked at him and knew he would forever after be addressed as "YerGrossliness" (his last name is Gross), and he is.

The misspelling of Doug is intentional, yet another story.

Glad to be here; thanks for the welcome, guys! Strum is a good friend from the Washburn forum--be sure you treat him right (and if that's not possible, enjoy treating him badly, we sure do on the Washburn forum!)

Dugly :cool:

Spudman
October 3rd, 2007, 08:49 PM
(admittedly, we did stop to enjoy some of the Wildwood Flower each trip we made).

Oh ya. Welcome aboard mate. Are you gettin hungry? I am. :messedup: :D ;)

M29
October 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Welcome YerDugliness! I think you will like it around here.

Hey is that maple syrup I smell. mm good.

Keep on pickin!
M29

Robert
October 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the fret hangout, yerDugliness! Thanks JustStrum, for inviting your friends!

Adrian30
October 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Welcome YerDugliness! I'm new to ths forum, too, and all I can say is: you'll enjoy it.:pancake :beer:

YerDugliness
October 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
Oh ya. Welcome aboard mate. Are you gettin hungry? I am. :messedup: :D ;)

Gee, that brings to mind a verse from a song called "Beer Run" by Todd Snider:

A couple of frat guys from Abilene
drove out all night to see Robert Earl Keen
at the KPIG Swine and Suaree' Dance.
They wore baseball caps and khaki pants.
They wanted cigs, so to save a little money they bought one off this hippie that smelled kinda funny.
And next thing they knew they were both really hungry, and pretty thirsty too

:beer:

YerDugliness
October 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Welcome aboard :beer: Great to have some more folks from the great state of Texas! Texas is just like Saskatchewan. Without trees. And snow. And Canadians :messedup:

Home of my heros (Waylon & Willie) and some of the best damn pickers and grinners on the planet. Gotta get down there one day (closest I've been is Tulsa, but I met some Texans there. Another story for another day :beer: )

Trev

I just finished watching Willie and Trigger on the Tonight show.

Now, THAT is why I don't abuse my classical guitars with a pick!!! Even a pick guard wouldn't have protected Trigger where Willie put that big hole!!

kiteman
October 4th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Howdy neighbor!

duhvoodooman
October 4th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Welcome to TheFret, YerDugliness! We can always use a few more Texans to balance out our "preponderence of Canucks"! ;) :AOK: :beer:

warren0728
October 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM
welcome YerDugliness....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

zeusse
October 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Howdy YerDugliness hope you enjoy the site as much as I enjoyed all the times I spent in the great state of Texas......now that is another story all together:crazyguy:

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I've played by myself, usually in a darkened room with my eyes closed, for all the time I've played, except for 3 or 4 times I've played with some other friends.

YerDugliness :cool:

You'd advance a whole lot more quickly, if you'd picked up a guitar. :D ;) :D

Welcome YerTejasness!

Tone2TheBone
October 4th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Welcome. :)

R_of_G
October 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM
welcome to the Fret! this is a very cool forum, and the members are very knowledgable and supportive of fellow musicians and music-lovers. hope you enjoy it here.

luvmyshiner
October 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Hey Dugly, good to see ya' brother. Be forewarned though, if anyone offers you pancakes . . . run like hell. :pancake

YerDugliness
October 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Hey Dugly, good to see ya' brother. Be forewarned though, if anyone offers you pancakes . . . run like hell. :pancake
o
Hey, Shiner!! Good to be here, too. I saw your intro post last night, or rather this morning about 2 AM as I was getting ready to log off.

Funny you should mention pancakes and running like hell in the same sentence. There is a town in my home part of SW Kansas, called Liberal, where their major claim to fame is a "pancake race" with Olney, England. Every year, ladies from one town or the other cross the Atlantic for a 6 block race, they must flip their pancakes a certain number of times, and it's a big deal.

I mention this to emphasize that I'm very familiar with running like hell and pancakes, so no worries, mate. I haven't done the search yet, but will--it seems like it must be a funny story!

Have you let these guys in on your money making idea, or are you holding it close to your breast until it comes to fruition (pun intended)?

YerDugliness
October 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Howdy neighbor!

Neighbor? Tell me more--are you located in the Houston area, or just in this little bitty state of Texas?

I'm always interested in getting personally acquainted with other forum members within reasonable driving distance--here's hoping you are, Kiteman!

Spudman
October 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM
You'd advance a whole lot more quickly, if you picked up a guitar. :D ;) :D

Score! Man you sit on the sidelines for a while then...BAM! you nail it with a zinger like this. That's clever as...well, usual.:)

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Score! Man you sit on the sidelines for a while then...BAM! you nail it with a zinger like this. That's clever as...well, usual.:)
Thanks for making me smile Spudster! :D

kiteman
October 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Neighbor? Tell me more--are you located in the Houston area, or just in this little bitty state of Texas?

I'm always interested in getting personally acquainted with other forum members within reasonable driving distance--here's hoping you are, Kiteman!

I'm in San Antonio. :)

just strum
October 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I'm in San Antonio. :)

Didn't catch that earlier. Being raised in Cleveland and living near Cleveland - it's CAVS country. I love everything about San Antonio, except that team - although Duncan would look mighty fine in a CAVS uniform.

Sorry for the hijack, but I'm still upset.

Katastrophe
October 5th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Welcome! It sure is good to see the influx of Texans here. We live about 25 miles south of Austin, but I've got family in Conroe, about 40 miles north of Houston. We visit there often.

And about the pancakes... Shiner is wise. Run like hell.:pancake :eek:

R_of_G
October 5th, 2007, 05:50 AM
My brother lives in Houston, does that get me partial credit? I'll be going to Houston for Thanksgiving to see family. We went to Austin a couple years back for his wedding and I LOVED that city!

Brian Krashpad
October 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Welcome Dug!

luvmyshiner
October 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Have you let these guys in on your money making idea, or are you holding it close to your breast until it comes to fruition (pun intended)?

I've been trying to play nice so far Dugly. They don't really know me yet. I haven't even let them in on the fact that my favorite hobby . . . even more than playing the guitar . . . IS NEKED TRACTOR DRIVING!!!!!

Here's me on the back forty.:rotflmao:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/20060920174509990046.jpg

Y'all knew I was gonna' trot that picture out eventually.:D

just strum
October 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I figured it wouldn't be too long before we would be seeing that picture. Is no forum safe???

Just don't bring out the computer guy or I may lose a referral.

To the forum, I apologize but when it comes to Shiner, you can wash him and dress him up, but you can't take him anywhere.

luvmyshiner
October 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Don't worry Strum. Neked computer guy will NEVER make another appearance. He damn near got me thrown off the Washburn forum last time he showed up.:messedup:

warren0728
October 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
NEKED TRACTOR DRIVING!!!!!
wow....we have something in common there shiner... 'cept mine had to do with cooking pancakes!! :pancake

lucky for the forum i have no pictures of that now infamous event.... :D

ww

luvmyshiner
October 5th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Heh, heh, I remember your story Warren. I ran a search and checked it out before I signed up. Gotta admit, ya' can't help but respect a man who's willing to cook neked. But I'd recommend staying away from the bacon!:nono: Or at least putting your clothes on for that part of the job.:D

tot_Ou_tard
October 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I
To the forum, I apologize but when it comes to Shiner, you can wash him and dress him up, but you can't take him anywhere.
I'll buy the washin' part. He looks squeaky clean, but I beg to differ about dressing him up ;) :D

marnold
October 5th, 2007, 08:30 PM
That man was CLEARLY wearing a hat. Naked tractor driving indeed.

Guitar Gal
October 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Welcome Dugly! :beer:

Good to see more friends from Washburn here also. :Dude:

GG

Toaster
October 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Duggster! Hey Guitar Gal, long time no see.

Shiner..... you didn't subject these nice people to your tractor pic already, did you? :puke:

Dave

luvmyshiner
October 9th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Now now Toaster. Ya' know I'm always lookin' for new excuse to get neked. And thanks to Warren, I now have one. Excuse me, I gots to go cook some pancakes!

:pancake :pancake :pancake

luvmyshiner
October 9th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Heh, heh, I see your point marnold. But if I ditch the hat I'll get sunburn on my head.:messedup:

tot_Ou_tard
October 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM

:rotflmao: :AOK: :rotflmao:

Nice one Marnold!

warren0728
October 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ya' know I'm always lookin' for new excuse to get neked. And thanks to Warren, I now have one.
glad i could help out.... :beer: :pancake

ww

Toaster
October 9th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I have to dig a little deeper to learn about the naked food prep. There's nothing wrong with flipping pancakes in the nude - I get that. Just don't be grilling your sausage. :eek: