PDA

View Full Version : Hello & Good Nite from Southern California...

wingsdad
October 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Howdy, good people,
Checking in to introduce myself, I'm yet another like several other newbies tipped off to this friendly group of like-minded souls by a good friend from the Washburn forum.

I've been browsing through many of the discussions on various topics for the past few days, tempted to pipe up, but figured I'd start with this as a first post.

As the title of my thread hints, from out here on the Left Coast, I figure to be constantly late to the party, and often posting to a sleeping crowd. But, hey, I did that for a living for a while, so...my apologies in advance if my responses are somewhat out-of-sync...like the state I've lived in since 1990.

Born & raised in the suburbs of NYC, I lived & worked in the Northeastern US until retiring from any semblance of a musician's fading 'career', pulling up stakes with my family to settle in the High Desert of Southern California, about 100 miles inland from LA, 200 miles south of Las Vegas, along the Mother Road, US Route 66.

I'll not put up a 'Gear List' in my sig just yet. I'll just sum things up by letting y'all know I've played guitar since an older cousin who played lefty and upside down (no...his name wasn't Jimi) infected me with Chet Atkins, Chuck Berry,The Ventures and other surf guitar bands in 1961. I'm a product of the Great Garage Band Era of the 60's.

Influences are many, but heaviest are r&b, Motown (the Funk Brothers' 'Oreo Cookie' guitar troika & bassist James Jamerson), Stax/Volt Memphis (Steve Cropper), Beatles (Lennon & Harrison, McCartney on bass), Pete Townsend, Eric Clapton. Nothing fancy, nothing flashy. In the pocket.

Along the way, for a number of reasons, roles and purposes, I've come to handle electric and acoustic 6 & 12's, primarily as a rhythm player but doing whatever needed to be done, often as the only guitar player in 4 to 6 piece bands. Eventually, I picked up playing some bass as needed, but I'm no bass player. The past few years, I've been attempting to break new ground learning other fretted instros...uke, mando, lap steel, dobro.

Jack of all trades, master of none? :whatever: Perhaps.

I did some time from the early 70's to early 80's learning my way around some writing, arranging recording, and producing with nothing significant to show for it other than a couple of lawsuits. :D

So you may see me pipe up now & then in threads related to what I think I know something about.

From what I've seen while browsing, I think I can learn a lot from y'all, and I hope I can pay that back.

Cheers :beer: !

t_ross33
October 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Welcome from the Great White North :beer:

More Washburnites! I love it! I was starting to get kinda lonely with all the SX, Fullerton and 51 players in this joint :D

Now, about that gear list...

Trev

Spudman
October 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM
Hi and welcome. :)
It will be great having you around here. Please feel free to share your experiences with us and just have a good time. We all do around here.

YerDugliness
October 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Good to see you made the jump, too, Wingsdad! I've enjoyed reading your posts on the Washburn forum, looking forward to your valuable experience and knowldge here, too.

Cheers :beer:

Dugly :cool:

kiteman
October 4th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Great to have you here mate. The 60s really turned us around didn't they?

:beer:

duhvoodooman
October 4th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Wingsdad! Looks like you should have plenty of experiences to draw on! Many of us here like to "pipe up now & then in threads related to what we think we know something about". Whether or not we actually do! ;) :D

ted s
October 4th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Welcome Wingsdad, nice intro.

zeusse
October 4th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Wingsdad! Looks like you should have plenty of experiences to draw on! Many of us here like to "pipe up now & then in threads related to what we think we know something about". Whether or not we actually do! ;) :DWelcome to the site Wingsdad and I'm only versed in guitar and hockey so after that I'm as dumb as a stump.....so the wife says and you know how right they are:rotflmao:

warren0728
October 4th, 2007, 07:16 AM
welcome wingsdad....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
October 4th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Aloha wingsdad, welcome to Great Tribe of Fretters! :D

wingsdad
October 4th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks, all, for the warm reception :)

Trev- since you asked, and since the header to this section suggests I do so, I added the Gear List to my sig. This bistro has such a range of players & tastes, and sub-fora on brands & types, I guess it makes sense in case someone spots something they're interested in knowing about or sharing opinions.

Spudman- Ketchum? Spud City, USA? Small world....

Dugly- the freshness & diversity of discussion here vs. any brand-centered forum lends itself to free time well-spent. :AOK:

Kiteman- did it ever...upside down & inside-out, too.

Vood- what, to you, is 'uppah' NY? I went to HS in the shadows of Sing Sing Prison, which, to NYC-folk was 'up the river' and may as well have been the Arctic... :rotflmao:

Well, I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go.....c-y'all after sunset...

duhvoodooman
October 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Vood- what, to you, is 'uppah' NY? I went to HS in the shadows of Sing Sing Prison, which, to NYC-folk was 'up the river' and may as well have been the Arctic...
Albany area, about 150 miles due north of NYC. It's actually central-eastern NY, but like you said, anything north of Westchester County is the frozen tundra to a lot of people. Now, Plattsburgh, NY--that's "uppah Noo Yawk"!!

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Welcome WingsDad!! I love the pocket as well--Stax/Volt!!

May I suggest Zony Mash t'ya? (with a nod to R_of_G ;))

Tone2TheBone
October 4th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the Fret. :)

luvmyshiner
October 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Hey Wingsdad, welcome aboard brother.

Don't let this man's humility fool you. Over on the Washburn forum he's considered one of our most knowledgeable posters, and a real treasure!

just strum
October 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Wings,

Good to see you arrived. I was starting to worry that you might not show.

Ditto Shiners comment.

I know you are busy and we may not see much from you until the weekend. I communicated with a few others and they should be arriving here over the next few days.

To the regs - I took to this forum so quickly that I wanted others to share the experience. It's a good forum, with good people and I think you will like what these people will be able to contribute - With the exception of me, they are all very intelligent. (I'm the good looking one in the bunch).

Shiner, we will have to post our group photo.

kiteman
October 4th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Hmm... we got a gang settling in here. :whatever:

:Dude:

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Well, I gotta say that you seem like a good bunch. So welcome! I look forward to getting to know you all.

sunvalleylaw
October 4th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Welcome Wingsdad! I am just a newbie guitar guy, but that never keeps me from posting. This is a fun place to hang out.

Justaguyin_nc
October 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Welcome Wingsdad and the other 20-30 new fretters I missed...

Yup, like SunnyValley.. I am also a newbie that can give opinions that don't amount to much.. but we enjoy spouting off just the same..:)

Never know when you say something on accident that might help.. :rotflmao:

You found a friendly place to hang your guitars..

Its all good..

Have ya noticed all the Washburns showing up lately...
hmmm havent gassed for one of them yet..:drool:

luvmyshiner
October 4th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Hey Justaguy, start gassin'.:)

Actually, looks like I need to take a new Shiner family photo, we've added a few since then.:AOK:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P2240012.jpg

just strum
October 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Hmm... we got a gang settling in here. :whatever:

:Dude:

Just recruits from the same neighborhood hoping we get accepted to join the gang.

Adrian30
October 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Welcome Wing,:)
Great intro and impressive gear list...

Justaguyin_nc
October 4th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hey Justaguy, start gassin'.:)

Jeeezx..thanks alot!!! :rotflmao:

Actually, I had one of those OE30's... gave it to a nephew who I think is still playing it...along with his mom...

Nice collection.. sigh...

That D10.. doesn't it usually win the under $500.00 awards.. must be a nice sounding guitar..

no no no.. I will resist.. I got to much into electric for the time being.. not that I would play anyone better than the other anyways..lol

thanks for sharing!

just strum
October 5th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I noted earlier about a photo of the Washburn group, well this is from the last time we got together. Oh, and if you are wondering where Guitar Gal is, she's the nurse that kept us all in line - in other words, the only one with common sense.

You can match the faces to the posts - surprisingly they actually will match up over time.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/CopyofForumGang.jpg

M29
October 5th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Welcome wingsdad! You found a great place to hang out.

M29

tot_Ou_tard
October 5th, 2007, 05:51 AM
You can match the faces to the posts - surprisingly they actually will match up over time.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/CopyofForumGang.jpg
The nurse's name was Nurse Ratchet.

If you think that you've escaped the looney bin by leaving the Washburn Forum & coming here you've got anutter think comin'. ;)

Let us guess who is who!

warren0728
October 5th, 2007, 06:10 AM
hoping we get accepted to join the gang.
"we're not a gang...we're a club"

ww

tot_Ou_tard
October 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM

ww

& Warren's in charge of the club's annual fundraiser.

...O no! Not another Pancake Dinner! :eek: :pancake :eek:

Funny that our treasury is always empty.

just strum
October 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM

ww

Ok, I'll rephrase that - Hope the gang here will accept us into the club! :beer:

warren0728
October 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM
ok no one has picked up on the "we're not a gang...we're a club" reference yet....

ww

kiteman
October 5th, 2007, 08:46 AM
A club called The Crips ??

:rotflmao:

Brian Krashpad
October 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Welcome WD!

Justaguyin_nc
October 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I thought we was just one LARGE band without a drummer ?

luvmyshiner
October 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM

ww

John Belushi?

Hey Justaguy, I love my D10S. I paid $200 for it but I think they're going for $225.00 now. I've changed out the pick guard a couple of times, and I've swapped out the nut and saddle for bone, and with the exception of my child bride's solid wood Augusta, I think it's the sweetest sounding guitar we've got. I consider her my beater because at that price she could be easily replaced, but there's nothing about her that sounds like a beater.

duhvoodooman
October 5th, 2007, 10:29 AM
The nurse's name was Nurse Ratchet.
Nurse Ratched, actually, played by Louise Fletcher. But don't wish that role on Guitar Gal! That woman was pure evil....

kiteman
October 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Nurse Ratched, actually, played by Louise Fletcher. But don't wish that role on Guitar Gal! That woman was pure evil....

I was thinking you meant the young nurse not the hatchet er.. ratched. :)

just strum
October 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I was thinking you meant the young nurse not the hatchet er.. ratched. :)

I needed a female to play the role, and I have too much respect to GG to use the two woman that partied with the guys.

wingsdad
October 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Wow...this intro thread took on a life of its own in my (typical) absence.:AOK:

At any rate, here's another sincere 'thanks' to all who've joined in the welcome party since my quick thanks yesterday morning to those who first wlecomed me aboard.:)

As for the kind words about me from the other erstwhile Washburn Forum Dwellers who followed Strum's beckon call here, all I can say is :o :rolleyes: :D

Like Nurse Ratsh*t, I missed that Group Photo session (yep, like I said at the outset, often late for the party from the Left Coast), so you won't spot me there.

So, to complete my intro, as I've seen many members here stick their (or their alter-ego's) photo in their av, here's a shot of me with my very first guitar...well, sort of a guitar, anyway...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/TheFretNet%20Pix/c9f09bfa.jpg

warren0728
October 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM

ww

John Belushi?

yep SNL....belushi, ackroyd, steve martin, gilda radner....when SNL was truly funny....

ww

tot_Ou_tard
October 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
So, to complete my intro, as I've seen many members here stick their (or their alter-ego's) photo in their av, here's a shot of me with my very first guitar...well, sort of a guitar, anyway...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/TheFretNet%20Pix/c9f09bfa.jpg

Baby Elvis Club!

E-L-V I-S-I S-K-I-N-G?

Does that ax say Mouse-Guitar?

If not, it should! freakin' brilliant!

wingsdad
October 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Man, you nailed it :Dude:

It was 1956, 'Hound Dog' was rockin' & I was a wannabe Elvis with genuine 'Mousegitar', as seen on the 'Mickey Mouse Club' TV show.

Technically, it was a plastic ukulele.

Guitar Gal
October 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Welcome aboard to another Washburn friend :beer:

I'm sure you will like it here Wingsdad :AOK:

GG

wingsdad
October 6th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Yep, I'm diggin' it, GG :AOK:

Man, I thought my cat was big, but yours dwarfs that Marshall stack;)

warren0728
October 6th, 2007, 12:38 PM
maybe we should start a thread with pics of you with your first guitar or earliest photo of you with a guitar!

ww

Toaster
October 9th, 2007, 03:08 PM
....Beatles (Lennon & Harrison, McCartney on bass)....

This is probably a dumb comment but what the heck, I'm new.

I'm a huge Beatles fan and we always hear about Lennon & McCartney, but I don't think I ever heard anyone describe the guitar lineup that way. Lennon and Harrison indeed, and McCartney on bass.

Just goes to show Wingsdad's unique view of things, and his crafty turn of a phrase. It's ok to talk about him; he's asleep right now.

Dave

wingsdad
October 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Shoot, Dave, I may be slow responding, but I ain't dead. Yet.:messedup:

Actually, I line them up that way with this pretzel logic:
Lennon 1st: Rhythm chops are my #1
Harrison 2nd: Lead chops are 2nd
McCartney, on bass 3rd: a converted guitar player by necessity, he plays bass like it was a 2nd lead guitar. I assumed that role myself, quite a bit, but I play(ed) bass like...well...better than no bass player at all. Maybe.

On Abbey Road, 'the side 2 medley', the climactic monster guitar solo in 'The End' that follows Ringo's drum solo is all 3 of them in sequence, in one live (after rehearsing) take: Paul opens it, George takes the middle, John wraps it up.

That, according to Geoff Emerick in his book, Here, There and Everywhere -my life recording The Beatles

Give it a spin... you can hear their distinct tone, attack and stylistic 'quirks'.

Steve206
November 28th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Wings,,

I was amiss in not following this thread to add my welcome.

I want to hear more of your latest gas station visits???

Nice having you back in the neighborhood,,,

Steve

wingsdad
November 28th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Backatcha, Steve :beer:

As for my weekly GAS station visits... I've succumbed to a couple of urges and made a couple of Electric trade moves. Check the sig, between the list and links to photos, you might notice 'em.

Steve206
December 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
That blue job looks new??

Not knowing as much as others, I would guess that it is a USA model?? I knew about the epi sheraton, but not about the epi LP? I thought that you had one of those 3 PU models? Makes me feel like one of those "Nick Charles" babes, talking about the furs in your closet!!!

If anyone can use a new axe, you are one of them.

Nice to be back in your neighborhood,,,

Steve

wingsdad
December 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM
'That blue job' is a Fender American Vintage Series '62 Reissue Stratocaster, build date (found in neck pocket) Jan. 2007, but I'm the 2nd owner. Still had all its hangtags, etc. Cost me a '99 Gibson BluesHawk and a couple of Benjamins cash, got it end of September. Got the '04 Epi LP Standard same day, trading a 1-month-old Ibanez ARC300 straight-up.