PDA

View Full Version : The Budos Band

R_of_G
October 4th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Fans of solid afro-cuban funk, check out The Budos Band. They recently released their second album for the awesome Daptone Records label [which features other amazing funk artists like Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, The Mighty Imperials, and El Michel's Affair]. If enjoy dep grooves and horn-driven funk, The Budos Band awaits your listening.

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks RoG, I'll search them out.

R_of_G
October 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
You won't be disappointed. After I got their first album it was all I could listen to for weeks. I just got the second this week and it the addiction to that album is building quickly. I mentioned them in my first post too, but check out Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings as well. They are, to my ears, a modern version of the great James Brown bands of the 70's [only with a female singer].

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Sounds great! I can't wait to hear them.

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Here are some youtube videos of the Budos Band to illustrate their sound....

The band live in Brooklyn, NY in 2006 with a tune from their first CD...

8u5fNNaXFH4

Another one from the same show...

elZpXD0GnJk

A pretty cool animated video for their "Volcano Song"...

tTi7I92ArXU

sunvalleylaw
December 2nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
I like it! I am a big fan of early Earth Wind and Fire (early 70's) and like afro funk, esp. with horns. This is a bit of a different flavor from the old "Gratitude" album stuff from E,W, and F, but is very nice, and current!

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
I like it! I am a big fan of early Earth Wind and Fire (early 70's) and like afro funk, esp. with horns. This is a bit of a different flavor from the old "Gratitude" album stuff from E,W, and F, but is very nice, and current!

Yeah, it's definitely different than EW&F. It's much more direct afrobeat funk. The horns are very prominent in the sound, and in this particular band, the horn players have great sense of melody. As for current, they are on Daptone Records, which is probably the most prominent label right now in the funk revival movement [Budos Band, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Sugarman 3, etc]. Basically, Daptone is the new Stax.