PDA

View Full Version : Pedals for the AD30VT

WelcomeBack
February 26th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Looking for tips on amp models and pedal combinations.

I have found the Boutique Clean o.k with pedals, but my Keeley mod' Boss BD-2 doesn't seem to sound good.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Paul

Les Paul, Vox AD30VT....Rhythm player

warren0728
February 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM
my digitech bad monkey sounds good through the ad30vt and so does my old (90's) danelectro cool cat chorus pedal.

ww

MagicBaller21
February 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
my digitech bad monkey sounds good through the ad30vt and so does my old (90's) danelectro cool cat chorus pedal.

ww

yeah, i use either tweed 4X10 or uk70s with my bad monkey. i turn down the gain on the amp, and i use the pedal for the gain. what are some of the ways you guys do it? i can describe exactly where the dials are if needed, i can get a good gov't mule/lynyrd skynyrd tones with my LP.

WelcomeBack
February 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I guess I should have been more specific....as far as pedals, I'm interested in OD/Distortion....I mostly play rhythm (mostly classic & 90s rock) on a Les Paul.

My BD2 sounds horrible in front of the fender blackface model, but then again I'm new to this. Had the most luck with the Boutique. I have a Boss DS-1 and it seems to fall near the UK Modern.

I've heard alot of good about the Bad Monkey...I may have to fork out the $40 :)

Thanks
Paul

Spudman
February 26th, 2006, 07:27 PM
WB
I've been using my Bad Monkey in front of my DS 1 and really like it. You can get more bottom end from the ds1.
That DS1 can also have some easy to do cool mods done to it either by yourself of some one else.
Check this link. http://www.indyguitarist.com/mods.htm
There are sound clips as well for most of the mods available.

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM
For the most part I've never gotten a good overdrive sound with any pedal using the 2x12 blackface model. It's modeling a Fender Twin and the overdrive on Twins is big and round and muddy (think Eric Clapton with distortion pedal and his midboost guitar knob). You won't get a tight overdrive on the blackface model, be advised, although the blackface model is a wonderful sounding amp (sans pedals) once you get good volume output from the amp knobs. Big round smooth cleaner sound.

You can get killer sounds from a Blues Driver on the AC15 and 30 models and most definately the UK70s which is my favorite model to use with pedals. The BD-2 will hit the amp harder and the gain is bright and tight so compensate with the tone knobs on the amp to your liking. A Bad Monkey sounds really good with the Vox as it's more smoother in gain if you like smooth overdrive...but the Blues Driver really smokes as a gain stage on most of the models especially if you decrease the amp's gain knob like MagicBaller21 suggests and use the pedal's gain knob for overdrive. Usually straight up on the Blues Driver's dials is how I have mine set. All the knobs on the pedal at 12:00...and adjusting the output tone on the amp to my liking. Both Monkey and Blues Driver pedals work equally good on the Boutique OD amp model as well. Use low settings on the amps gain using this model and use the gain knob on the pedals more.

Tim
February 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Tone – As always you give excellent information to help those with less playing time and experience. It never occurred to me to try the Bad Monkey on the AD30VT AC-15 model and the rest of the models around the dial. I figure those like the UK70 and such are already distorted, why add more??? But as you stated, turn down the amp’s gain and volume for a cleaner sound, then and the pedal’s characteristics.

You mentioned the Blues Driver’s dials are all set straight up at 12:00. How about the Bad Monkey? Do you use the same settings?

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Tim - On the Bad Monkey my settings are

level - 12:00

low - between 12:00 and 3:00 depending on model used (UK70s has A LOT of low end so I'll use 12:00 on that model...higher settings for other models)

high - about 2:00 or 3:00

gain - at 12:00...more if I want more overdrive.

These are my personal settings but give them a whirl and tweak to your own ears. :)

Yeah using the pedal's overdrive oftentimes yields sweeter harmonic distortion...but it depends. The reasoning is that the gain knob on the amp itself varies it's personality based on the amp it's trying to emulate. Some amp models don't actually utilize a pre-amp gain knob because they weren't originally designed that way (like the Fender and AC models) so on those models the gain is another added volume boost of sorts. Same thing on the UK70s as the plexis only had one volume knob. So being able to tweak the input gain on the pedal will give you much more versatility than using the amp's gain. It just depends on what your ears are hearing its kinda hard to explain that in terms of a verbal description. Just know that it's going to produce different overdrive sounds...and that is a good thing. :)

Guitar-Chris
February 27th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Looking for tips on amp models and pedal combinations.

With the amp models up to UK 70s you can use a booster as a very versatile pedal. I like the Marshall Bluesbreaker BB-2. You can use it as a booster or a overdrive.

Digitech Bad Monkey is a good tip from other members.

In my opinion, the pedal should only emphasize the amps sound not override oder build a new one.

warren0728
February 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM
tone,
i am always amazed at how indepth your analyses are. What great information!

ww

Tim
February 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM
The reasoning is that the gain knob on the amp itself varies it's personality based on the amp it's trying to emulate. Some amp models don't actually utilize a pre-amp gain knob because they weren't originally designed that way (like the Fender and AC models) so on those models the gain is another added volume boost of sorts. Same thing on the UK70s as the plexis only had one volume knob.

Yea Tone - I knew about the no gain and two volumes on some amp models. I just never thought about putting any kind of OD pedal in front of these amp modelers.

Hey! What can I say. I'm still a newbie at all this electronic stuff.

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Hey! What can I say. I'm still a newbie at all this electronic stuff.

Me too! Modeling amps are crazy fun. Just another cool way of expressing yourself. There are a lot of things I'm learning myself and the internet is just chock full of information. Word of mouth still works too.

Nelskie
February 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Tone - You were talking about those Danelectro mini-pedals the other day, and I saw one that would be perfect for your Vox. It's a distortion pedal called the "Grilled Cheese" . . . ! :D

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2006, 09:29 AM
hahaha Yeah a Grilled Cheese for my Cheesatronix!

duhvoodooman
February 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I've had an AD30VT for a couple of months, and play a Strat Plus and an Epi Elitist LP Std through it. Since I lean mostly to blues & classic rock, I tend to stay on the lefthand side of the amp model dial. I particularly like the Boutique CL, Black 2x12 and Tweed 4x10 models, but found it difficult to get the overdrive tone I was looking for with these cleaner models.

What has worked well for me is a used Digitech Tone Driver stomper that I picked up on eBay for $33. I like the "morph" knob feature of this pedal since it allows you to change the character of the distortion, as well as the usual level-tone-gain controls. They even give you some specific settings to emulate the DOD 250, Tubescreamer TS-9 and TS-808 pedals. While I'm a relative rookie with all this pedal stuff, I've been very pleased with the results, especially when trying to get an SRV tone with my Strat on one of the above clean amp models. Now, if I could only PLAY like him....

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Hey Duhvoodooman,

I think you have good insight into finding ways to coax some sweet sounds using your system. When I first got the AD30VT I had a hell of a time dialing in a believable semi-clean overdrive for SRV stuff. It was either too much or not enough. Since then I've experimented with the Blues Driver pedals and the Bad Monkey and it's gotten better. What I've done is come from the other direction and cleaned up the dirty models to get juicy SRV tones. That works ok too. All in all the Vox's are fun and reading about how we all achieve tonedom is even better.

Nelskie
February 28th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Ah yes, Tone's "Cheesatronix" avatar is back! Tomato soup, anyone?!!

tot_Ou_tard
March 12th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Hey, I'm new here. I heard about this site on the patchtronix forum.

I am also a new at playing the guitar (2 & 1/2 months), but not new to this world.

I have an AD30VT that is unfortunately in the shop for warranty repair for a bad pot. Arggghhh! In the meantime I am playing through my son's Roland Cube 30. It works but I miss my VOX.

I have a Celeston G10 that I haven't installed yet as I am waiting for all the warranty issues to work out first.

I am thinking about getting one or two pedals for my amp & boy am I confused.

I want to increase the ability to shape the tone. Man I love good tone, it makes me grin from ear to ear even through all my mistakes.

I am thinking about an EQ-pedal, clean boost & OD.

Confusion # 1) Are tube based pedals worth the price of admission? For example, do tube based clean boosts "engrave tubey warmth and sparkle on your signal" before it hits the A/D converter in the VOX preamp. Or is that sort of stuff marketing hype. I have also heard that the preamp is the easiet to model with solid state, hence VOX's use of the tube in the power stage.
Some of these pedals are as expensive or even more than I paid for the VOX. But if one of them did turn playing into an orgasmic experience I *might* entertain the idea.

Confusion #2) If a pedal has an EQ built in does it still help to have a dedicated eq pedal before it? Amptone.com claims so, I wouldn't know.

Confusion #3) Somewhere else in this form someone (Nelskie?) mention a zoom pedal. That pedal has built-in amp modeling. Does that work? Sounds like it might be a confusion of riches to send one amp model into another model on the VOX.

More confusions are sure to follow....

tot_Ou_tard
March 12th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Oh, & I forgot to say hi to duhvoodooman, who has installed his Celestion G10 long ago, even though I received mine first!

Guitar-Chris
March 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I am thinking about an EQ-pedal, clean boost & OD.

Confusion # 1) [Tube pedals]

Confusion #2) [Pedals with built in EQ]

Confusion #3) [Another Modeling pedal in front of the Vox]

More confusions are sure to follow....

At first: Welcome to you, I missed that. :)

Then: To #3 I would not like to have another modeling pedal in front of the AD30VT. You will be turning knobs more then playing guitar. I know what I say:( . I had several multieffect pedals, and only after selling everything, i increased my musical abilities (slowly, but i do).

Then to #1: Hey, the Vox has allready the sweetness of the tubes, you don't have to ad this :cool:

#3 I use a Marshall Bluesbreaker for that purpose. You can use it as a booster, then you only have to set volume. You will be able to "blow" the channels of your amp. Another mode ist the overdrive, then you can set Drive, Tone and Volume. The tone knob controls mainly the high frequencies. That's enough for me.

The EQ of the vox works very fine, no dramatic changes but even enoh to shape the tone. The most changes in tone come from different settings of the Volume, Master and Gain knops. Try for example Master full, Volume full and the gain softly fron zero to the point you like. You will see: The vox can create very nice tube-like tones at the point where it "brakes up".

Or vice versa, full hain, and the shape over the volume. For EQing, the middle frquencies are the most important.

tot_Ou_tard
March 12th, 2006, 09:40 AM
At first: Welcome to you, I missed that. :)

Then: To #3 I would not like to have another modeling pedal in front of the AD30VT. You will be turning knobs more then playing guitar. I know what I say:( . I had several multieffect pedals, and only after selling everything, i increased my musical abilities (slowly, but i do).

Then to #1: Hey, the Vox has allready the sweetness of the tubes, you don't have to ad this :cool:

#3 I use a Marshall Bluesbreaker for that purpose. You can use it as a booster, then you only have to set volume. You will be able to "blow" the channels of your amp. Another mode ist the overdrive, then you can set Drive, Tone and Volume. The tone knob controls mainly the high frequencies. That's enough for me.

The EQ of the vox works very fine, no dramatic changes but even enoh to shape the tone. The most changes in tone come from different settings of the Volume, Master and Gain knops. Try for example Master full, Volume full and the gain softly fron zero to the point you like. You will see: The vox can create very nice tube-like tones at the point where it "brakes up".

Or vice versa, full hain, and the shape over the volume. For EQing, the middle frquencies are the most important.

Hello to you too Chris.

Voxman (Rich) over on patchtronix claims that the best purchase for tone shaping on the AD series is an EQ pedal.

Yes, the VOX has nice tube tone, but I still want to know if there is a a difference in tone between a tube based pedal and a ss based pedal. I guess that you are saying that there isn't. That the tube in the VOX takes care of that.

Yes, I play with the Master, gain, volume & whatever the power soak knob on the back is called. Well, I used to (& will again as soon as it comes back from the shop.)

And I agree that a modeling pedal in front of a modeling amp probably sounds strange. But what do I know?

Robert
March 12th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Hey Tot, post an introduction in the Fret Players section!

I'll post my 2 pesos - tube pedals are not worth the price. There, said it. I'd buy a good OD pedal like the BD-2 or Bad Monkey instead of the tube based pedals.

Guitar-Chris
March 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Voxman (Rich) over on patchtronix claims that the best purchase for tone shaping on the AD series is an EQ pedal.

Yes, the VOX has nice tube tone, but I still want to know if there is a a difference in tone between a tube based pedal and a ss based pedal. I guess that you are saying that there isn't. That the tube in the VOX takes care of that.

Hm, different players, different optionions. As robert mention, and as i do, most useful pedal in front of a Vox AD is a overdriver/booster, so you can ad different sound shapes, For me, the build in EQ does it all.

But who knows, you will have to ind out for yourself.

SuperSwede
March 12th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Without even have played it I would recommend that super sweet germanium fuzz pedal that Robert bought recently (search the forum for a thread on that). It sounds really great, and I am going to get one too :)

tot_Ou_tard
March 12th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Hey Tot, post an introduction in the Fret Players section!

I'll post my 2 pesos - tube pedals are not worth the price. There, said it. I'd buy a good OD pedal like the BD-2 or Bad Monkey instead of the tube based pedals.

Will do Robert. By the way. I had already made up my mind to buy an AD30VT when I saw your videos. That pushed me over the brink.

Thanks for your 2 krona.

Guitar-Chris
March 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Will do Robert. By the way. I had already made up my mind to buy an AD30VT when I saw your videos. That pushed me over the brink.

Thanks for your 2 krona.

I have an invitation to the Frankfurt Music Fair at the end of the month. I will talk to the vox people: Rob has to become an official endorser of them :)

Robert
March 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Thanks for your 2 krona.

Heh, you are very welcome for the push!

tot_Ou_tard
March 12th, 2006, 02:54 PM
When my AD30VT comes back from the shop. I think that I'll haul it down to the local guitar store and give a bunch of pedals a whirl.

duhvoodooman
March 12th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Hiya, Tot. Good to see you here, man. You still haven't installed that G10?!? ;) Guess you'll have to wait now until your VOX is back from the shop. Speaking of which, that's where my Epi Elitist LP is, but not for repair--getting a pair of Seymour Duncan's installed. :R

Here's my "2 krona" (how much is that, exactly?):

I'm extremely pleased with the used Digitech Tone Driver pedal I got on eBay for adding a little "dirt" to the cleaner amp models like the Boutique CL and Black 2x12. Couldn't properly play "Pride & Joy" on my Strat without it! Nelskie raves about his, too, and he's a LOT more experienced than me.

I also bought a cheap ($20) little Behringer 7-band EQ pedal, that gives you a lot more tone-shaping control than the T-M-B dials on the AD30VT provide. At that price, why the heck not?!?

My other main pedal acquisition (again, a used one off eBay) was a Dunlop Cry Baby. The autowah effect on the AD30VT is kind of fun, but it's no substitute for a real wah pedal. Wanted one since I heard Clapton use it on Tales of Brave Ulysses.

By all means, try a few pedals and see what tickles your fancy....

SuperSwede
March 13th, 2006, 02:20 AM
2 krona = 0,254 USD

Tim
March 13th, 2006, 05:24 AM
For me, the build in EQ does it all.

GC - Maybe you could elaborate on your experience on how you obtain the different sounds that you achieve through using just the amp’s EQ. I have spent hours tweaking here and tweaking there. I can not figure how to do what with the dials. I guess I am still to new at all this.

I have an instructional video which discusses how to obtain a country sound. The instructor stated to turn the bass and treble to around the 2:00 position. Turn the mids down to about 9:00. Then turn the reverb up to about the 10:00 position. With my Custom Tele bridge pick up, it sounds pretty close to that country sound. That’s all I have achieved so far.

I know a lot of one’s tone comes from the fingers and the use of bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs ect, but knowing how to tune in a sound into am amp is a good starting point. I would like to learn how to obtain a good rock & roll, jazz, blues tones.

duhvoodooman
March 13th, 2006, 06:28 AM
I know a lot of one’s tone comes from the fingers and the use of bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs ect, but knowing how to tune in a sound into am amp is a good starting point. I would like to learn how to obtain a good rock & roll, jazz, blues tones.
Tim, as an AD30VT owner, if you haven't checked out the "patches" at Valvetronix.net (http://www.valvetronix.net/) or Patchtronix.com (http://www.patchtronix.com/), you owe it to yourself to do so. Many different styles, artists, songs, etc. emulated by different ADxxVT settings. Some are great, some stink and everything in between.

Re: blues, you've got a great set-up for that. Combine your Strat with some of the clean models and that Bad Monkey pedal, and you'll have a good raunchy blues sound. Here's one to try:

http://duhvoodooman.com/AD30VT/SRV_PnJ.gif

tot_Ou_tard
March 13th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Hiya, Tot. Good to see you here, man. You still haven't installed that G10?!? ;) Guess you'll have to wait now until your VOX is back from the shop. Speaking of which, that's where my Epi Elitist LP is, but not for repair--getting a pair of Seymour Duncan's installed. :R

By all means, try a few pedals and see what tickles your fancy....

Hiya voodoo. Yeah, it was nice to see you here. That's a much better reason to have something in the shop.

tot_Ou_tard
March 13th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Getting a patch for a particular sound is a good starting point, but I would like to understand the basics of each genre as regards to EQ etc.. For example a jazzy tone is gotten by using a neck pickup (preferably humbucker) through a clean amp (model) with the treble dialed back. But I don't know exactly what one does with the bass & mids.