PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with guitars

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I often think of bringing one of my guitars with me when I fly. I have an inexpensive Godin SD, that I bought used. It now has a stripped truss rod nut. It's also got dings n' such, so I wouldn't fret a few more.

Is this a reasonable thing to do?

I've seen people carry guitars onboard in their gigbags. Should I do that, or put in in checked baggage in a hardshell case?

I'd get a zoom G2, or sumpin' similar for unobtrusive headphone practise in the hotel room.

What say ye?

luvmyshiner
October 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hey Tot, my dread has flown with me to the Cayman Islands, and to Vegas and back with no problems. I've seen people carry on their guitars in a gig bag, but I've always checked mine in a hard shell case, because I've heard it's pretty much a crap shoot as to whether or not they'll let you carry it on.

In the States they've always treated it very well, even to the point of hand carrying it down to load on the plane rather than putting it on the conveyor belt, and then hand carrying it to the luggage area. They weren't quite so careful in the Caymans, but she still made it just fine. The case got a little banged up, but that's what they're for.

One other thing, the guitar is the only piece of luggage that I've ever carried that has always been searched by homeland security. My guess is they've watched "Walk the Line" a few too many times.:D

tot_Ou_tard
October 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks Shiner! I'll check it on my next flight.

First I'll have to get a hardshell case tho'.