PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Rock Stories?

just strum
October 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Anybody have a good rock-n-roll/music story to share? It could be something that happened at a concert, meeting a known "rock star", anything that might be entertaining or interesting.

Mine is nothing spectacular, but it was a "wow" for me at the time.

Back in my late teens and early 20's was about the time that Cleveland was being promoted as the Rock-n-Roll capital of the world. A number of national acts started gaining momentum here in Cleveland. Because of their early success here, it was not uncommon to run into someone that was just starting to make it big.

One night while at a bar called the Mistake, I went up to the bar to get another beer. While waiting to get served I detected a group of people speaking with a accent. Feeling little pain at the time and more focused on getting my beer more than anything else I didn't turn to see who was talking. Finally as the conversation got louder, I turned to find David Bowie standing next to me along with a couple of band members.

He was a very polite individual and much more humorous than one would expect at the time (early Ziggy days). He was dressed in a bit of his stage get-up (can't break character) and had stopped in the bar after playing a concert in the downtown area.

I would like to say we talked for hours, but we didn't. It was more like a star struck fan that was almost to the point of "Wow, you're David Bowie", but it was actually more like "How are you doing? Like your music. How did the concert go?

And that is my little brush with fame.

tunghaichuan
October 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Two stories:

The only famous person I've ever met was Natalie Merchant. I was in grad school in the early 90s, my future wife and I and a friend went to Kansas City to see 10,000 Maniacs perform. I was walking around outside the venue and I spotted Natalie Merchant walking her dog with the band's keyboard player. I approached her and asked her to sign my CD. She seemed kind of nervous, but was gracious enough. Actually, she could have blown me off but was pretty cool about it.

My other story:

I had been in Denver for a year or two in the mid-90s and was working a crappy temp-postal job. I got off work and went to the local mall to blow off some steam. It was right before Christmas. A local radio station was doing a promo for Wayne's World 2 outside the movie theater where it was showing. They had a guitar and amp set up and and anyone passing by could sit down and play. Once someone had played a bit, they entered their name in a drawing and got a free pass to see the movie. I sat down and began to play my riffs, and it seemed like I was one of the few that day who had any clue as to how to actually play the guitar. So I noodled around for about 15 minutes or so and went in to see the movie. Right before the movie started they anounced the winner of the drawing. They said my name, but it didn't register at first. I had never won anything. It turns out that the prize was an all-expense paid trip to Boston to see Aerosmith on New Year's Eve. I was stunned, I couldn't believe it. I sat through the whole movie stunned, it was very surreal.

Columbia pictures sent my wife and me to Boston, put us up at a nice hotel, gave us vouchers for food at the Hard Rock Cafe Boston and shuttled us to the Aerosmith concert. The downside was that it was colder than h*ll in Boston on New Year's Eve/Day. We walked around Boston New Year's Day, I bought a bunch of CDs at Tower Records. :Dude:

All in all a very cool trip. There were several contest winners who attended the show with us from around the country. The couple from Arizona that won said that had won the second prize; first prize was a completely restored '58 Corvette :drool:

Anyway, that was a pretty crappy time in my life and winning something like that really boosted my spirits :)

tung

Spudman
October 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Check this thread. I've hung with them a few times.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1593&highlight=queensryche

Or I could tell you about drinking wine with Eric Burdon, or playing Chris Duarte's 62 Stat and watching football with him, or Lee Rocker blowing smoke in my face, or helping Ansley Dunbar set up his drums, or drinking mucho Guinness with the Young Dubliners, or jamming with Chuck Ruff (Edgar Winter's Frankenstien).

just strum
October 5th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Good stories.

I have one more and it's more of a "who I didn't meet"

In the mid 70's I lived three building up the hill from the Whiskey in West Hollywood and for the 6 or 7 months I lived there I never, not once, saw a rock star or an up and coming rock star.

good stuff guys.

Bloozcat
October 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Just one brief encounter...

I went to a Chicago Transit Authority concert around 1972 at the Steel Pier on the Jersey shore. Chicago was doing two shows that evening, so we got there for the first and decided to hang out for the second show too. I can't remember how that all worked that we were able to see both shows, but anyway, we did.

In-between the two shows, I was playing at a Ski-Ball game. When I looked up there was Terry Kath at the game right next to me. He smiled and said, "How ya doing", to which I said something like, "Good". I then said as casually as I could, "Taking a break between shows?". He said, "Yeah, I got tired of hanging around in the back, and motioned with his head towards the backstage area." Just then a slew of girls noticed him and swarmed all around. He just looked at me, smiled and shrugged his shoulders. I just smiled and said, "Yeah, it's tough, isn't it?". He laughed and headed towards the backstage area.

I'd like to tell you that we talked about gear and life on the road, but it was like talking to anyone who might have walked up to that Ski-Ball game. I think it was 5-6 years later that Terry Kath died from that unfortunate self-inflicted gunshot wound.

aeolian
October 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
In 1990 my wife and I took a trip to Dallas to visit friends. At the Portland airport departing lounge waiting for boarding we saw a group of people milling around on the other end of the lounge. They all wore tour jackets and pretty soon we figured out that it was Stevie Ray Vaughan and his band. Back then I did not really know his music that well, although I do recognize a couple of his songs (I actually stopped playing guitar from 1988 to 1998). My wife had lived in Dallas for many years and although she not a big music fan knows who SRV is.

When we board the plane our seats were towards the back of the plane, and sitting right in the row in front of us was SRV and his band spread over both sides of the aisle. As soon as we took off everyone in his band nodded off to sleep. Several hours later he woke up. My wife started telling me to ask him for an autograph. Finally I asked him for his autograph. He was very gracious and not only did he gives us his autograph he asked whether we like autographs of the rest of the band. We got autographs from everyone except for one member who was still asleep. We chatted briefly and that was the end of our encounter.

Unfortunately he left us a months after that. Incidentally, SRV has beautiful handwriting.

Spudman
October 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I almost forgot about the time my band was setting up at the Cowboy bar in Jackson Wyoming. It was the middle of the afternoon and I went up to the bar to get a coke. This chick that was at the bar next to me started scoping me out head to toe. I might have been interested but she was too short for my tastes. It was Liv Tyler. We both managed to squawk out a "Hi" to each other.:drool:

Bloozcat
October 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I almost forgot about the time my band was setting up at the Cowboy bar in Jackson Wyoming. It was the middle of the afternoon and I went up to the bar to get a coke. This chick that was at the bar next to me started scoping me out head to toe. I might have been interested but she was too short for my tastes. It was Liv Tyler. We both managed to squawk out a "Hi" to each other.:drool:

She was to short for you? She was TOO SHORT FOR YOU?!?

Famous or not, too short doesn't sound like a good enough excuse, there Spud....:nono:

Now, "I'm sorry, but I'm married", gets you off the hook. Omissions like that can get you killed. But, too short...?

All I can say is, there must be an awful lot of good lookin' taters out in your field....;)

just strum
October 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM
This chick that was at the bar...

Showing your age on your birthday. Well, at least you didn't say broad, or we would think you were 87 today :)

Ro3b
October 5th, 2007, 01:46 PM
In 1988 or thereabout, I got my first Irish bouzouki. I took it to a music shop to see if I could find a case for it (what was I thinking? This was in Athens, Georgia), and while I was talking to the salesperson, Pete Buck, the guitarist from REM, came rushing in going, "hey, cool! What the hell is that?" So I showed him my zouk -- I think I played the lick from "Talk About the Passion" -- and let him play it for a while. He was pretty taken with the instrument and bought one not too long after that.

Oh, and Bono once came into the bookstore in Atlanta where I worked and I helped him find some books about the blues. We saw a lot of Angela Bowie (David's ex) too; she lived nearby.

Spudman
October 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Or there was the time that Rudy Sarzo (Whitesnake, Quiet Riot) invited me to throw tomatoes at him at the evening concert...so I did.

R_of_G
October 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM
A few years ago my wife and I were flying back from NJ to Florida and we had the pleasure of having Pat DiNizio [of The Smithereens] sit next to us for the flight. For anyone that doesn't know Pat, he's a pretty bulky guy, and in his sweatpants and t-shirt he was getting a lot of looks from people as he walked down the aisle [the kind of looks that said 'I hope that guy ain't sitting next to me."] Well he wound up sitting next to us, and he couldn't have been a better "single serving friend" [thanks to Chuck Pahlaniuk for that phrase].

He told us all kinds of great stories about the music business, as well as having a great conversation with us about the unfolding madness of the Bush presidency [and this was back in '02] and various conspiracy theories. The guy was an absolute blast to sit next to for 2.5 hours and could not have been a nicer guy. It renewed my interest in The Smithereens, a band that I hadn't listened to in years at that point. BTW, Beatles fans should check out "Meet The Smithereens" [an album they put out last year that is a top-to bottom cover of "Meet The Beatles."

The moral of the story is, don't fear sitting next to the fat guy on the plane because he just might be a super-cool musician.

R_of_G
October 5th, 2007, 02:44 PM
My only other encounter with a 'rock star' happened a few years back on the weekend of my brother's wedding. The wedding was in Austin, TX and was the same weekend as the Austin City Limits festival. We were staying at the Four Seasons, as were most of the big-time acts playing the festival. One morning I got out of the elevator and wasn't quite awake yet and wasn't really watching where I was going. One more step and I would have walked directly into Chris Robinson [Black Crowes]. Given that I outweigh him by a good 70 pounds, that'd would have been ugly. He was cool about it. The band Coldplay must have been staying there as well because when we were outside getting our family photos taken, Gwyneth Paltrow walked by in a bikini. VERY NICE!

Spudman
October 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/ChrisMeresized084.jpg
You mean this guy? Thank goodness it wasn't him in a bikini.

My only other encounter with a 'rock star' happened a few years back on the weekend of my brother's wedding. The wedding was in Austin, TX and was the same weekend as the Austin City Limits festival. We were staying at the Four Seasons, as were most of the big-time acts playing the festival. One morning I got out of the elevator and wasn't quite awake yet and wasn't really watching where I was going. One more step and I would have walked directly into Chris Robinson [Black Crowes]. Given that I outweigh him by a good 70 pounds, that'd would have been ugly. He was cool about it. The band Coldplay must have been staying there as well because when we were outside getting our family photos taken, Gwyneth Paltrow walked by in a bikini. VERY NICE!

Katastrophe
October 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Saw Tommy Shannon (Double Trouble bassist) at a music store in South Austin. We said "hello," and that's about it.

My ex-wife once thought that Asleep at the Wheel singer and guitarist Ray Benson was trying to steal her purse at a Wal-Mart. He was walking through the electronics section. I laughed. Alot.

Met Scott Henderson once at a guitar clinic he held at my guitar school, back in the early 90s. Hung out with him and others beforehand. Very polite and friendly individual. I asked him some stupid question about an interview he did in a guitar magazine that I had. He was very gracious and answered, without giving me the smack upside the head that I probably deserved.

jpfeifer
October 6th, 2007, 09:49 AM
My first story is kind of recent ...
This past Spring I was invited to help my friend with a demo recording project at a studio in Las Vegas. When I got there they introduced me to the producer of this project. This producer was the original guitar player in Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons. He was the guy who had started The Four Seasons and hired Frankie Valli way back in the day. They used his biography as the basis for the play "Jersey Boys". He was a very interesting guy to talk to. He had some cool stories about playing on the Ed Sullivan show in the 60's. He told me about his guitars and amps that he used in the band, etc.

Several years ago I was with my family in Hawaii on a vaction. We were at the airport getting ready to board our return flight when I noticed Leo Kottke sitting in the waiting area. I walked up and asked if he was Leo K. and he had some kind of joke as a comeback. He was flying back from a gig that he had played the night before. I asked him about guitar woods, etc. and he all kinds of things to say about Mahogany versus Rosewood, etc. It was fun to talk with him.

One of my favorite rock star stories happened several years ago when I was working at the Consumer Electronics Show supporting some demonstrations for our company. During that year XM Radio had a large booth on the show floor and was doing live radio interviews all day from CES. I walked by their booth to see who was hanging out there when I noticed Jeff "Skunk" Baxter just sitting in the booth area over in the corner by himself. Being a big fan of his playing with Steely Dan and the Doobies, I walked up and introduced myself to him. He was the nicest guy. I asked him about his solo on the song "My Old School" and other tunes. He was great. At the end of our talk he pulled out a glossy picture of himself with his guitar and signed if for me. I have that picture hanging in my office now!

-- Jim

pes_laul
October 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM
well i dont have much but ive seen pete townshends les laul that was smashed in two right in front of me (not much but it was cool for me:))

Bloozcat
October 7th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Oh, one other story that I had forgotten about that involved my wife.

My wife is almost completely oblivious to anything that has happened in the music world in the last 40 years except for the most obvious (and obnoxious) of pop music forms.

On the way home from a business trip to Washington DC, my wife was seated next to a guy who was a music promoter. In relating this story to me, it was obviously that this guy was trying to impress my wife as to how important he was. He apparently was a promoter at that time for a Police tour, and he was sure that any woman would just swoon to get free tickets and back stage passes to such a great concert.

You'd have to know my wife to really appreciate her reaction. First of all, my wife and I are completely devoted to each other and she wouldn't be even slightly interested in any advances by anyone - especially one who represented the alien world of rock music. Secondly, my wife is a woman who has a certain presence that is obvious when she enters a room. It's not just her appearance that does this, but her confidence and bearing as well. To creeps like this guy, she's like the fire to a moth...with the obvious fatal outcome to the moth. After listening to this guy's spiel for a while my wife told him that she was not involved in any way with Police matters, and she didn't understand why this guy would think that she would be interested.

My poor wife, in her ignorance of anything to do with popular culture, didn't know that The Police was actually a band. She thought that the guy was talking about real police, as in law enforcement. After a moment of what had to be total cognitive dissonance for this guy, he explained that he was a music promoter and The Police was a band that he was promoting. My wife told him that I, her husband, would probably know who The Police were, and that she'd give the tickets to me. Sensing that his cool dude music promoter act had fallen flat with my wife, he more or less retreated from the conversation with his tail between his legs. That's my girl. Even when she has no idea what she's dealing with, she can still send a bottom dwelling creep like this on his way...and in total disarray at that.

Needless to say, I never saw any tickets to a Police concert, let alone any back stage passes. But then again, I'm not the one who this guy was interested in...:rotflmao:

M29
October 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Hello,

I mentioned this briefly before but I found a picture since then. When I was in my late teens back around 1973 or so I had moved to Ft. Lauderdale Florida with a band from up here in Michigan. Our band broke up and the rest of the band moved back home and I stayed in Florida. After working just about every job imaginable, I found another band. This band had the opportunity to play a club opening for Robert Conrad called The Wild Wild West Saloon in a condo called The Ocean Manor on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale. Anyway to cut a story short, Buddy Miles was doing a telethon in town and was staying at this condo. He would come down and set in on my drums on the weekend. I played drums back then. We would set up out by the pool overlooking the ocean and jam. Our band played Lynyrd Skynyrd, Doobie Brothers, Free stuff like that. Buddy Miles came down and jammed with us a couple times and he actually got in the newspaper for making too much and too loud a noise on the weekend, I have the newspaper clip still. As I look back it was probably helpful and maybe...was done on purpose to get publicity for the club or telethon. I never thought of that until now...
Was a good time we had plenty of questions for him on Jimi Hendrix, our guitar player loved Hendrix. He is a very powerful musician and he can really work a crowd.

http://www.qix.net/~lmjbo/buddymiles.jpg

Was a great time ah... the good old days.

M29

Brian Krashpad
October 8th, 2007, 07:55 AM
First, my apologies to those here who've already heard
this one...

Last summer (2006) I played bass for Bo Diddley. It
was a benefit type deal, thrown together by a friend
of mine. The friend was at one of my bands' shows
and asks me after our set, ""Would you wanna play
bass for Bo at a memorial concert for a police officer
that died? We need a bassist and drummer." Of course
I said yes, and contacted the drummer in my side
band to do it as well.

We were supposed to close. So I show up early and
walk into the bar and Bo is seated onstage, playing.
His daughter Terri, his keyboardist, sees my case and
says "The bass player is here!" I say "Yes, I'll
play bass if this gentleman will let me."

Bo keeps playing.

Now I look up onstage and there's a drum kit. Not my
drummer's kit. The promoter dude asked for a bassist
and a drummer so I got my side-band drummer, burned
him a copy of "Bo's Best" and the poor guy practices up,
makes cheats, loads everything up and they've got
someone else. Crap. I love benefits.

I load in, while Bo is playing to a few dozen people,
futzing around with his guitar synthesizer thingy. I
say to Terri "If you can give me keys it'd be great."
Bo hears and turns around (he is seated facing the
audience) and says "We don't do that 'key' s***."
Haha, welcome to the big leagues, Brian Krashpad!

I'm up there playing with Bo, before the show has
started (his granddaughter or some such relative is
playing drums, while we wait for the keyboards to
arrive) and my drummer walks in. "So I guess I don't
need to unload?" I try to apologize (not that it's
anything I did) while playing. I don't see him for
the rest of the night. Crap.

So the keyboards arrive and Terri finally finds a
workable sound, and she is sweet as pie, telling me
how it is tough to play behind Bo and all, and she's
still not used to it! She also says "You're a brave
man!" and I said something to the effect of that I was
equal parts brave and stupid, but no way would I turn
down this gig.

Bo quits the stage and retires to the VIP room
backstage. Not wanting to be presumptious I stay out
front, I want to be out there when my wife arrives
anyhow. My wife arrives, as does my lead singer from
my side band, less than pleased about the $15 cover
(which my wife also paid).

After a LONG wait (Bo does some sort of interview
backstage in the VIP room), we finally are almost
ready to go on. "Where's the guitar player?"
everyone asks. I was only told they needed bass and
drums. A guitarist from one of the other bands on the
bill shows up, with an acoustic electric. Hmm. That
bit actually turned out OK though.

Bo immediately breaks a string before we start the
first song. He has no backup guitar and not even any
spare strings onstage. A relative is dispatched to go
get his spare strings. A VERY long string change
ensues. Finally, iirc we open with "Hey, Bo Diddley."
It goes over great, and is a song that my studies
have actually prepared me for.

For almost all of the rest of the night, I am making
stuff up on the fly. In some cases between songs Bo
will teach a riff to me and the guitarist on the spot,
but almost never actually saying the key or notes. He
will either play it and expect you to play it right
back, or he will sing the melody ("Go: dum dum dum
bah dum bah dum dum") and expect you to instantly
translate it into music.

A little into the set we blow a fuse or something. I
still have power and so does Bo for our stage amps,
and the keys have power but the PA is down so no vox
and no keys or guitar. Another longish delay. The
volunteer tech crew (actually a DJ rather than a live
sound man, who volunteered his PA) eventually gets it
sussed and we plow ahead.

Apparently we were onstage for a couple hours. In
general I think it was very well received. I had a
really GREAT time. Towards the end of the set this
guy from the audience comes over and stood on my side
of the stage yelling encouragement and praise (please,
do not compare me to Jack Bruce, that's looney!).
Which is not very common for a bassist playing highly
repetitive simplistic basslines. Even so, I didn't
care.

http://a669.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/102/l_2145248932b2e067f4de50a80cabe81c.jpg

helliott
October 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM
My story pales by comparison to many of these. But I had a terrific half hour or so chatting with the guys from Los Lobos at a reception prior to a recent show in Hamilton. They sort of ambled in, and half the people in the room didn't seem to know who they were. When I saw they weren't getting mobbed I wandered over, bought them a drink and we had a great talk about the business, their new (at the time album) and the tour they were doing. They were doing Hamilton. then North Bay, then rush back to The States to do The Conan show. Life as a rock star ain't what it used to be.
Very nice, genuine, down to earth guys. They seemed very moved that I have most of their records and even their lone dvd performance at The Fillmore in San Francisco.

Spudman
October 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Then there was the time that I am emptying my bladder and look to the stall on my right to find none other than Rick Derringer. Hey, I said, what guitars are you playing? Rick says, Custom Shop Strats. Then I said, can I get a picture of us together? Rick says, sure but let me finish first.

pie_man_25
October 9th, 2007, 05:36 PM
mine have nothing to do with anyone famous really, just funny.

1) I was at this hardcore show, and the bands were BAD, and all these guys were slam dancing , when the bassist starts showing off his new wireless system, thanks to his success because of the rose city promotions, and starts spinning into this crowd consisting of me and my friends, and their friends, and the roadies start throwing frozen hotdogs everywhere, low and behold, the guy gets literally a foot in front of us, when this HUGE chunk of frozen hotdogs hits the guy in the back of the head and he passes out, as we laugh at him.

2) I went to local show two years ago of the darkest side of the moon, which if you haven't guessed, is canada's most successful pink floyd tribute, this was the single best show I've been to, after the show, I saw the bassist, and since he had the most kickass long hair I had ever seen, I went up to the guy and said "dude, you guys rocked, so much so that you must headbang with me!!" of course he was like "Dude, let's do it!! it's not every day we see guys your age that like rock this much!!", needless to say, it was the best day ever!!

3) it was a local "battle of the bands, when solidarity, my favourite local band is playing, in one of the mosh pits, my friend gave me a piggy back ride THROUGH the mosh pit as we were both headbanging, and we kept doing that until the cop pulls me off.

t_ross33
October 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Man, Krashpad... just to be able to say "Been there, done that!".... Wow... I'm speechless :messedup: I'm sure some of that mojo must have brushed off on you :beer:

Brian wins "Best Rock Story" although Spudman asking for Rick Derringer's autograph in the can has to be a close second :rotflmao:

My closest brush with schmarmyness... hmmm

I was working as a security guard in Calgary out of college at the Calgary Centre for Performing Arts. We did on stage security for The Cutting Crew (of "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" one-hit-wonder fame). I got to throw 12 yr old girls off the stage for trying to gang tackle the lead singer.

I was hanging around one night before an Omar and the Howlers / Fabulous Thunderbirds concert and Jimmy Vaughan was tuning up his guitar during a soundcheck and I sheepishly talked to him for like 9 seconds. Don't remember what I said. Probably something like "uhm... duh... yeah. So... uhm... I'm a musician too" to which he smiled (I like to think he smiled) and said something like "Sure Kid". I was waiting for that moment like in the old Coke commercial where Mean Joe Green gives the kid his jersey, but alas I did not return with an original Jimmy Vaughan Strat, just a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I'd just made a total *** of myself :rotflmao:

Trev

sunvalleylaw
October 9th, 2007, 07:39 PM
A few years ago my wife and I were flying back from NJ to Florida and we had the pleasure of having Pat DiNizio [of The Smithereens] sit next to us for the flight. For anyone that doesn't know Pat, he's a pretty bulky guy, and in his sweatpants and t-shirt he was getting a lot of looks from people as he walked down the aisle [the kind of looks that said 'I hope that guy ain't sitting next to me."] Well he wound up sitting next to us, and he couldn't have been a better "single serving friend" [thanks to Chuck Pahlaniuk for that phrase].

He told us all kinds of great stories about the music business, as well as having a great conversation with us about the unfolding madness of the Bush presidency [and this was back in '02] and various conspiracy theories. The guy was an absolute blast to sit next to for 2.5 hours and could not have been a nicer guy. It renewed my interest in The Smithereens, a band that I hadn't listened to in years at that point. BTW, Beatles fans should check out "Meet The Smithereens" [an album they put out last year that is a top-to bottom cover of "Meet The Beatles."

The moral of the story is, don't fear sitting next to the fat guy on the plane because he just might be a super-cool musician.
:pancake

That's a great story. I really like Pat and the Smithereens, and just rediscovered all their cds I have stuffed away a few weeks ago. My story relates to this one. I attended a Smithereens concert in about 90 or 91 at the Blue Moon Theatre in Portland, OR, with my law school buddies. It was the Green Thoughts tour. I bought a T-shirt and pushed up to the front and danced around, and by the end of the show, somehow decided to climb up on stage. I did so and instead of throwing me off, Pat, and Jim let me make an idiot of myself playing air guitar onstage with them. :beavisnbutthead: I think a few others followed me up on stage and we all just rocked out until the end of the last song in the encore. I remember Pat and Jim's smiles at how much fun I was having and always was amazed they were cool enough to let me do that. I still enjoy listening to their stuff and would go see them for sure if they came around.

I guess my other story would be how warmed in the heart I felt one late afternoon as I was leaving Dollar Mountain (the beginner hill here) after a long holiday shift of teaching skiing. There was Sting with his little boy in his arms as he comforted him. His boy had injured his leg in a ski accident and was laid up in a temporary cast/splint until they arranged transport. Sting looked to be as warm a Dad as you could want.

I also gave Kenny G ski lessons for a few days (with Rob Lowe), but that is not really a rock and roll story. :)

Spudman
October 9th, 2007, 09:23 PM
:pancake

I also gave Kenny G ski lessons for a few days (with Rob Lowe), but that is not really a rock and roll story. :)

Dude, Rob Lowe is nothing but rock and roll...just not musical. Rock on fellow spudder.:Dude:

sunvalleylaw
October 9th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Dude, Rob Lowe is nothing but rock and roll...just not musical. Rock on fellow spudder.:Dude:

Heck yeah I'll rock on! Both Kenny and Rob were fun to ski with and very fun to be around. Each had very different approaches to the sport, and both had some pretty decent ski chops. :AOK: