PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Fretters, help me out with this one...

Katastrophe
October 6th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I was talking with Mrs. Kat the other day about building a guitar. I hit upon the idea of buying an unfinished body and having my kids put their handprints all over it in different colors, then clearcoating it to preserve the finish. Mrs. Kat was cool with the idea and gave it the green light. I know this has probably been done before, but what do you think?

I'd like to do a Tele style guitar, but I don't want to spend a million bucks on the body. Any hints for a "economy" body supplier for Teles? Should I find a Squier body and strip it? What's the best way to go?

Please discuss. Thanks!

Dauntless
October 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-part/305/Telecaster_Alder_Electric_Guitar_Body.htm

kiteman
October 6th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Fantastic idea mate. :)

Adrian30
October 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I say go for a used tele body, or the whole guitar if you find one at a good price. This way you’ll have a neck to “play” with (maybe try re-fretting it). You should be able to find affordable teles or tele copies on Craigslist or used guitar stores.

Here’s an 83-4 Hondo LP copy. I finished the body last year. (It still needs more work though).
Good luck with your project.:AOK:

Dauntless
October 6th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Blonde Squier Tele Standard for around $200.
Then you get the whole she-bang!

Spudman
October 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Squier has a plain white Standard Strat out now that comes with a set of colored Sharpies so that you can customize it the way you want. Maybe one of those and then put the hand prints on it and clear over that. Then mod the guitar to your specs. Just another idea.

warren0728
October 6th, 2007, 09:36 AM
that is an excellent idea for a paint job....i might steal your idea! :Dude:

ww

Katastrophe
October 6th, 2007, 12:31 PM
that is an excellent idea for a paint job....i might steal your idea! :Dude:

ww

By all means my friend, please do! I think that would be awesome.

If applying the handprints to an already painted guitar, would you just apply the paint without doing anything to the original finish? Or, would you strip it all down to bare wood, repaint, and prints and clearcoat?

warren0728
October 6th, 2007, 12:34 PM
By all means my friend, please do! I think that would be awesome.

If applying the handprints to an already painted guitar, would you just apply the paint without doing anything to the original finish? Or, would you strip it all down to bare wood, repaint, and prints and clearcoat?

i'm not sure...but they both love my agave blue tele...thinking about just having them hand print the original finish and then clear coating it! maybe have them sign their respective handprints as well....

ww

pes_laul
October 6th, 2007, 07:08 PM
i think that would be a great idea look for build your own guitar kits out of a wood working magazine and you can choose les paul strat or tele style guitars that come with all the parts and everything then you could do with the paint however you want

PS I will talk to my dad about which Mag it is

Bloozcat
October 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I'd like to do a Tele style guitar, but I don't want to spend a million bucks on the body. Any hints for a "economy" body supplier for Teles? Should I find a Squier body and strip it? What's the best way to go?

Please discuss. Thanks!

Try here, Kat. I'm ordering a Tele body and neck from them tomorrow:
http://www.guitar-alley.com/servlet/the-TELE-BODY/Categories

Katastrophe
October 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Wow, great prices for swamp ash... Thanks, Blooz!

Dauntless, thanks for the link... That looks like an extremely well made Tele body.