PDA

View Full Version : Which MIM Telecaster to get and mod with a neck Burstbucker?

red
October 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Hello. I'd like to add a Telecaster to my guitar collection, but I don't have a lot of money to spend and I want to put a Gibson Burstbucker humbucker in the neck position.

I'd say I can afford a MIM Telecaster, or even a Highway 1 Telecaster. My initial plan was to buy a Classic 50s Telecaster, but as I've seen elsewhere on this forum, those are not routed for a neck humbucker. I did go to my local Fender shop and tested a MIM Standard Telecaster that some people say is routed for a neck humbucker out-of-the-box, but it sounded horrible (it didn't even have hum-cancelling when the neck and the bridge pickup were used together - but a Light Ash Korean Telecaster did), and I'd like the guitar to be usable anyway until I can afford the Burstbucker and the new pickguard.

My questions are:

What MIM Telecaster models are already routed for a humbucker neck? I hear that the MIM Standard is, but the Classic models are not, do you know of any others? What's a safe rule of thumb to make sure I get one already routed for a neck humbucker short of actually removing the pickguard and checking (which I doubt any stores would like, especially in Romania where I live)?
Should I consider any other models? I was thinking about going for a Classic '72 Custom, but the pickguard is not Gibson Burstbucker-ready. They're using 4 screws for the humbucker, whereas the Burstbucker only uses two, in different places. Please note that this would have a be a model that's currently in production, as I'll probably have to get it new, not a big range for used guitars over here.
Is a Highway 1 Telecaster routed for a neck humbucker?
Is it difficult to re-route a Classic 50s Telecaster for a humbucker neck? What tools would I need? Is this something I might possibly dream of doing myself (considering my experience stops at changing pickups and tuners?

Thank you in advance for all your answers.

P.S. Yes, I'm trying to end up with a Keith Richards Micawber-type Telecaster, the closer the better.

t_ross33
October 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM
If you're looking for a platform to mod, don't discount the Squier Vintage Modified SH. Not sure about quality consistency, but the one I have plays and sounds as good as a MIM Tele IMHO. After trying out the Squier at the music store, I did a direct comparison to various models including MIM, TexMex and US Teles, and didn't find a big difference between it and the MIM. Didn't hear a $600 or $700 difference between it and the made in US Tele either.

Duncan Designed humbucker in the neck, should be a standard bucker route.

This is a great little Tele for the price (I paid $350 CDN). I love the neck and gig with it about twice a month.

Trev

P.S. Drop over to the Fret Player section and post an introduction. Welcome to the Fret! :beer:

TS808
October 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM
The 72 Tele Deluxe is an awesome tele, but the pickguard may not be routed for a 2-screw humbucker.

A really cool tele if you can find one on ebay, is the Made in Korea, FMT Tele Deluxe. Here's one on ebay. They sold new for $629

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-FMT-HH-TELE-flame-maple-W-G-L-HARDCASE_W0QQitemZ130160020294QQihZ003QQcategoryZ3 8083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

red
October 8th, 2007, 02:17 AM
If you're looking for a platform to mod, don't discount the Squier Vintage Modified SH.
I would, but:

1. my Fender shop doesn't have that, and they will only order one if I pay 20% of the total price upfront. That basically means that I can't test it before I buy it. Sure, I could in theory ask for another one if something's wrong with it, but my definition of "wrong" might not be the shop's definition of "wrong".
2. I'm not enlightened enough yet to trust Asian-made guitars (except perhaps Japanese craftsmanship), and that, combined with point 1. above, makes me nervous about ordering a Squier sight-unseen. I just feel my odds might be better with an MIM. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time :).

P.S. Drop over to the Fret Player section and post an introduction. Welcome to the Fret! :beer:
Thanks! Done, I've posted in that section.

red
October 8th, 2007, 02:31 AM
The 72 Tele Deluxe is an awesome tele, but the pickguard may not be routed for a 2-screw humbucker.
Yes, they really do look like they might fit the bill, though what I'm looking for is a humbucker-single coil configuration, to keep the twang but balance it with the full dark sound of a humbucker. Therefore, a Classic '72 Custom would be the way to go for me rather than a '72 Deluxe. That's also an option I'm considering, but I have no clue as to how it might compare to a burstbucker equipped Telecaster and I have no way of finding out short of ordering one with money down. And obviously I'd have to poke new holes in the pickguard to be able to fit a regular humbucker in there which I'm not prepared to do with a guitar that supposedly fitted my needs out of the box.

t_ross33
October 8th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I would, but:
1. my Fender shop doesn't have that, and they will only order one if I pay 20% of the total price upfront. That basically means that I can't test it before I buy it. Sure, I could in theory ask for another one if something's wrong with it, but my definition of "wrong" might not be the shop's definition of "wrong".
2. I'm not enlightened enough yet to trust Asian-made guitars (except perhaps Japanese craftsmanship), and that, combined with point 1. above, makes me nervous about ordering a Squier sight-unseen. I just feel my odds might be better with an MIM. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time :).

I was skeptical as well, although my interest had been piqued prior to it's release (actually I was first interested in the SSH version and how it might compare to a Brent Mason Tele or signature Valley Arts guitar). Having played it and absolutely falling in love with the neck, I started pulling various Fenders off the wall by way of comparison, playing all through the same Fender Deluxe Reverb RI. A lot of folks were walking up to me and asking what guitar I had and all were amazed that it was a "cheap" Squier. I don't blame you for not buying sight unseen. I needed to try it before I bought it too.

BTW, they are "Crafted In India", whatever that means :whatever: I'll probably swap out the pups and electronics, upgrade the bridge and saddles and change the nut, but then that's half the fun :AOK:

red
October 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Well, I've gone out and done it...

After so much talk about an MIM Telecaster I got a good offer (well, for where I live) for a used Hot Rod '52 which already comes with a neck SD humbucker, so that was pretty much a no-brainer.

Like Douglas Adams used to say, a new meaning for the term "disposable income"...

t_ross33
October 14th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Congratulations! :beer:

Pictures man! We demand pictures!! :Dude:

What is the switching/p'up configuration of that Hot Rod? Is that the one with the SD mini-humbucker? If so, nice score!

Trev

red
October 15th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Congratulations! :beer:
Pictures man! We demand pictures!! :Dude:
What is the switching/p'up configuration of that Hot Rod? Is that the one with the SD mini-humbucker? If so, nice score!
Thanks!

Here's a picture, not much in the way of quality, but it's the best I can do at the moment:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8543/hrtelezl4.jpg

Yes, the Hot Rod '52 is the one with the Seymour-Duncan mini-humbucker in the neck. It's got "modern" switching, that is: neck, neck+bridge, bridge. It's _NOT_ like the "regular" '52 RI - that one has "vintage" switching: neck without tone, neck with tone, bridge with tone. Here's the Fender product page (http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0100232850), with the complete specs.