PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

red
October 8th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Hello, I've just joined the forum yesterday, I found it while trying to get more information via Google on Classic 50s Telecasters and a suitable Telecaster to modify with a humbucker neck pickup, and to my amazement I managed to find both kinds of information here.

I've been playing guitar for about 15 years now. I live in Romania, and I own an MIA 2002 Standard Stratocaster, an Epiphone Les Paul Heritage made in the Czech Republic, which I've modified with Seymour Duncan '59-JB pickups, a Washburn Mercury Series guitar and a Hohner HW440. In the way of pedals I'm not using much - just an Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9, a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay and a Jim Dunlop Wah. I also own a small Fender Champion 600 Reissue 5-watt tube amp, and Peavey Classic 30.

What I mostly listen to and try to play varies a lot, but the core would be Pearl Jam, Mad Season, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Ben Harper, and lots more I can't quite remember at this moment.

Well, hello! :beer:

Algonquin
October 8th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Welcome Red.

You've found yourself a great site here with many friendly and knowlegable members who share a common interest.

Enjoy! :beer:

Fingers
October 8th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Welcome to the clan............you're in good hands here...............

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/fingers23/Stones/00308547_lg.jpg

Robert
October 8th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Welcome to the Fret, glad to have you here!

Spudman
October 8th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Hi and welcome Red.
I think you are the first color we have.:D

Tim
October 8th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Hello Red and welcome the the Fret Net.

tot_Ou_tard
October 8th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Hello Red & Welcome!!

I'm sure them new washburnies will ask you about your Washburn, but I'd like you to compare the Fender Champion 600 with the Peavey Classic 30. I have the former & several people here have the latter.

red
October 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!

I'd like you to compare the Fender Champion 600 with the Peavey Classic 30. I have the former & several people here have the latter.
It's really hard to compare them because they're very different beasts.

The little Champ is a one-6V6-one-12AX7 5-watt quiet and extremely clean practice/recording amp (which I'm using with JJ tubes, the stock Chinese tubes were crap). I'm overdriving it with a TS9 and use a DD3 for a hint of reverb, because it's too plain for my tastes for most playing, and it doesn't really break up a lot even cranked up with my Stratocaster.

The Classic 30 sounds very good and I'm using it mostly with my Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncan pickups. It's got 4xEL84 and 3x12AX7 JJ tubes. It's more of a gig/rehearsals amp, though it can do bedroom-level playing. It does hum a bit, and when you hit certain notes the tubes rattle a little, but I suppose it doesn't matter that much if you're playing loud enough because you won't be able to hear it then. It's got it's own pre-amp distortion thing and booster and reverb, so I don't typically need to use pedals with it. The reverb can get a bit cheesy if you turn it past halfway up.

I'm not sure what you want to know. You can start a new thread and buzz me somehow and I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers!

warren0728
October 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
welcome red....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

duhvoodooman
October 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Red! With those equipment and artist lists, you're gonna fit right in around here! I think you may be our first Romanian member. Based upon your writing, your English is obviously excellent (better than several of our American members! ;)). Have you lived in the US or other English-speaking country at some point?

Bloozcat
October 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Welcome aboard, Red!

red
October 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Red! With those equipment and artist lists, you're gonna fit right in around here! I think you may be our first Romanian member. Based upon your writing, your English is obviously excellent (better than several of our American members! ;)). Have you lived in the US or other English-speaking country at some point?
Thanks! No, I've lived in Romania all my life, it must be the influence of subtitled movies and that my mom's an English teacher :). And all those lyrics I've learned by heart, obviously :).

luvmyshiner
October 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the forum Red.

M29
October 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Welcome Red!

M29

duhvoodooman
October 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM
....my mom's an English teacher.
OK, I think we have our answer right here!! ;) :D

In any case, glad to have you aboard! :AOK: :beer:

kiteman
October 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Glad to have you here Red.

Romania hey? Is that where all those beautiful gymnasts are from?

:Dude:

pes_laul
October 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Hi and welcome Red.
I think you are the first color we have.:D
well there is greenmachine but im not sure if that would fit

Sorry red forgot to welcome you

Glad to have you here:beer:

just strum
October 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Red,

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you join.

tot_Ou_tard
October 8th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure what you want to know. You can start a new thread and buzz me somehow and I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers!
That was fine. I just wanted to know your opinion. I've got the Champion 600. I put a NOS 5751 and 6V6 in it (yes I wanted to lower the gain!).

I run a Seigmund Double Drive (that I bought used) into a Duncan Twin Tube (used as well) and then into the low input of the Champ. It works very well for my needs.

I tend to crank the champ and tweak the EQ & control the loudness & level of saturation with the Double Drive and the Twin Tube.

sunvalleylaw
October 8th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Welcome Red! It is a nice international forum here. I look forward to your input!

Tone2TheBone
October 9th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Welcome sir. :)

red
October 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Romania hey? Is that where all those beautiful gymnasts are from?
Oh yes, we've got beautiful girls here. Some of them are gymnasts :).

red
October 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I run a Seigmund Double Drive (that I bought used) into a Duncan Twin Tube (used as well) and then into the low input of the Champ. It works very well for my needs.
Ah, that sounds like something you'd do with a Champ 600.
I've heard it works really well with a Telecaster, I can't wait to test that theory. The only problem is figuring out what kind of Tele suits me and my budget best :) - I'm thinking about getting one used from eBay.de but I've never used eBay before so I'm a little scared.

tot_Ou_tard
October 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Ah, that sounds like something you'd do with a Champ 600.
I've heard it works really well with a Telecaster, I can't wait to test that theory. The only problem is figuring out what kind of Tele suits me and my budget best :) - I'm thinking about getting one used from eBay.de but I've never used eBay before so I'm a little scared.
I don't know how the romanian EBaY works, but I've only had good experiences buying gear on EBaY.

You can get screwed, or at least lied to, right Vood?

I have two guitars, both bought off'a EBaY, both are Godins.

1) Godin Radiator
2) Godin SD

I've been mainly playing the Radiator cause it's a quirky guitar & I'm a quirky guy. I just dragged out the SD (a fat strat-style HSS, but with a Gibson short scale) & ran it through the Champion 600.

Hoo Boy! Did she sound great! Makes me wonder what a top-notch strat would sound like & a tele & a ... ;)

Brian Krashpad
October 12th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Welcome Red!

oldguy
October 12th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Welcome to TheFret!:)